EVDRIVER

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

I read an article that said Tesla service centers are set up as fishing sites to steal information over unsecured networks. The entire model to do OTA updates is just a way to break things and make you come in for service. Once in there the Tesla app connects your phone to their network and gets all your personal information. The entire article is on the "Seeking alpha troll" site and is reposted on "Inside shills". I'm starting to think Elon is secretly working to get the Russians to Mars as well. Since the holograms are no longer working they have taken now measures to con everyone.
Forum Moderator

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 pm

scottf200 wrote:You would want to turn off 'always connected' and if you have any 3rd party apps that look at data for your car regularly (http://www.TeslaFI.COM, etc) then use their options to allow your car to go into a deep sleep.

Haha, the problem is there are so many apps to look at and track cool data that some cars only go into sleep mode and not DEEP sleep mode.
There's a little bit of vampire drain from the battery heater, etc; I initially lost 2-3 miles/day.

But then there's the larger drain caused by 3rd party apps (I use TeslaFi) polling the car for state changes. E.g,. TeslaFi wants to know when I start driving so that it can provide all sorts of interesting stats. The drain this causes for a parked car could be avoided if Tesla provided a server-side indicator that the car was awake (and if the car told the server it was being turned on).
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 31K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 20K mi
Model 3 reservation (invited to order 1/18)

lpickup
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 312310

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Anyhoo, ten minutes later, they told me that the software was successfully uploaded (and I got a notification on my smart phone from the Tesla app). Obviously, we know that’s a lie, am I right? Plus, they found that the window regulator may have an issue, so they ordered a new one. What?? The part isn’t in stock? All GM and VW parts are always in stock... you both know that.

Did they keep your Model 3 until the part was back in stock?

My LEAF has been at the dealer since Wednesday Feb 28th...went out to leave that morning to a Christmas tree light display of warning lights. Even though I probably shouldn't have, I put the car in gear only to find out that the ABS system had failed in an interesting way--basically it was stuck forcing my brakes OFF so I had no way to really safely stop the car (I probably would have designed the system to fail in a failsafe way with ABS disabled and just let the actual brakes work without ABS, but that's just me).

I made an appointment with the dealer who couldn't get me in until Thursday the 1st. They did not provide towing, but fortunately I had Nissan roadside assistance that did. So I called them. They sent out a truck. But apparently the wrong kind of truck, because of the brilliant move by Nissan to stop including the tow hook with LEAFs since 2015, so the guy had no way to hook up the tow cable to pull my car onto the flatbed truck. So I had to call Nissan back and get them to send a different kind of tow truck. Another hour goes by and finally I get towed to the dealer...when they inform me that their two and only two LEAF guys are both out at training and wouldn't be back until Tuesday the 6th. And oh, they don't have loaners, but I can RENT a car from them. If it turns out to be a warrantable item (I see no reason why it wouldn't be, but they made sure to let me know that there are reasons it wouldn't be and that I would be on the hook to pay for the rental, even though I had to wait for THEIR guys to show up before they could let me know if it was under warranty!) then they will charge back Nissan and it will be free to me...but of course they only have one vehicle available. Not electric mind you, and the wiper fluid sprayer doesn't even work on it.

Keep in mind even someone as untrained as myself knows it's probably the ABS system, which is surely quite similar to just about every other Nissan vehicle they work on, but no, they have to wait for the actual LEAF guys to look at it.

Anyway, Tuesday comes, no update. Wednesday and I get a call that gave me no real information other than that they've opened a ticket with Nissan. I guess the LEAF guys didn't learn much at their training!

Finally on Thursday they tell me they have a part on order, so progress, but it won't be until Friday or Saturday until they get it in and can work on the car.

Now it's Monday the 12th. I've been without my car for almost 2 weeks, and still no word as to whether or not it's actually going to be ready any time soon.

Granted, in this case my car was not driveable, but in the past, Nissan has kept my vehicle for 2 weeks at a time waiting for tickets to be responded to, parts to come in, and repairs to be made, even though the car would have been driveable.

Now I love my LEAF, but it's really a pain having an electric vehicle from a brand that really hasn't gotten their dealership network behind the idea of really supporting it.
...Lance

Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310)
Delivered: 12/23/16
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138)
Delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16
NOGA$4ME Blog

EVDRIVER

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Anyone that wants to avoid parasitic loads on any EV can put a small connection terminal to the 12v battery and connect to a battery maintainer. This significantly reduces drain since the 12v charge cycle will be ignored more as most of the drain is pumps, large contractor, etc. The telematics can check in with less 12v cycling and the additional losses with overhead. When parking a few days or more this is an easy solution for those that care.
Forum Moderator

TonyWilliams

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 am

The window works most ok; just a little hesitation. I'm still driving it, and everything is working fine. They did call to tell the parts were in today.

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 am

A little bump in production this week to 737. Bloomberg's chart showing production versus the targets that Elon Musk has provided gives a good feel for just how far off those promises have been:

Aren't we supposed to be seeing 2500 cars/week in two weeks? I don't think it's going to happen. Time to add another dotted line to the graph.

I'm not convinced production of the Model 3 will exceed global production of the Nissan LEAF at any time in 2018. We'll see.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

lpickup

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:19 am

RegGuheert wrote:A little bump in production this week to 737. Bloomberg's chart showing production versus the targets that Elon Musk has provided gives a good feel for just how far off those promises have been:

Aren't we supposed to be seeing 2500 cars/week in two weeks? I don't think it's going to happen...

I don't think it actually will either, but remember this: the Bloomberg tracker is a lagging indicator, tracking anywhere from post-production (but pre-delivery), delivery, and even post-delivery timeframes. So even if Tesla does hit a 2500/week PRODUCTION milestone, it won't show up in the Bloomberg tracker for another 2-4 weeks minimum.

The other thing to remember is that it's not a forecast tool. While we'd like to imagine the production rate as a nice smooth S-curve or straight line as is shown in the chart, that's not the reality of how production rate increases will manifest themselves, which will be more of a stairstep.

So here's what I think will end up happening. Despite what Tesla says, I don't think they will really be able to exceed 1000/week rates until the new Grohmann equipment is installed and running. And despite the fact that they said end of March, I think there will probably be at least a week delay in getting it installed, and another week before it's checked out and running at capacity. So I would expect 2500/week output from the Gigafactory in mid-April, which would probably not even translate to 2500/week output from Fremont until beginning of May best case, and then finally in the beginning of June that rate would be evident in Bloomberg's tracker.
...Lance

NOGA$4ME Blog

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 am

lpickup wrote:So here's what I think will end up happening. Despite what Tesla says, I don't think they will really be able to exceed 1000/week rates until the new Grohmann equipment is installed and running. And despite the fact that they said end of March, I think there will probably be at least a week delay in getting it installed, and another week before it's checked out and running at capacity. So I would expect 2500/week output from the Gigafactory in mid-April, which would probably not even translate to 2500/week output from Fremont until beginning of May best case, and then finally in the beginning of June that rate would be evident in Bloomberg's tracker.
So they are still being limited by the batteries?

One thing I've seen in the past is that once a known bottleneck is cleared, other previously-unknown bottlenecks appear that become the new limiting factor, albeit at a higher production rate.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

lpickup

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 am

RegGuheert wrote:So they are still being limited by the batteries?

One thing I've seen in the past is that once a known bottleneck is cleared, other previously-unknown bottlenecks appear that become the new limiting factor, albeit at a higher production rate.

This is all just speculation on my part, but yes, I believe the bottleneck is still at the Gigafactory. And while I agree with you that clearing up one bottleneck will only reveal ones farther down the line, but at this point there should have been ample opportunity to stockpile a good batch of batteries in order to burst test the line downstream. There was the "robot timing" issue that was highlighted, so maybe that's also part of the problem, but I guess more than anything it's more the lack of communication that says "Gigafactory production is now at X" (where X is some high number) leads me to believe that the battery issue hasn't been resolved. Now maybe they just won't comment on that at all until the next earnings call, but I have to think that kind of information would make its way out one way or another.
...Lance

NOGA$4ME Blog

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 am

WooHooo. I just (yesterday evening) got the email invitation to configure my car. As far as I know I'm the first (or at least the first batch) one to be invited who is not a previous Tesla owner. I could have configured and placed the order last night if I wanted a $49k car, but we plan to just wait for the standard range option to become available and save $9k.

Even though we are still waiting, its exciting to see the changes to the MyTesla page with the option to configure and purchase the car.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”