GRA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Via electrek:
Tesla Model S re-earns Consumer Reports’ recommendation on improved reliability
https://electrek.co/2016/10/24/tesla-mo ... liability/

Back up to 'average', the lowest level at which they will recommend a car (assuming it scores high enough in other categories). Personally, given how long I keep a car, unless it's near ideal for me in every other way I won't consider a purchase unless it's rated 'better than average' or 'much better than average' by CR, but the people buying a new Model S have very different monetary priorities than I do. Tesla service remains mostly excellent, though, although as these cars are still all under warranty, it should be.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:12 am

GRA wrote:Back up to 'average'
Probably better to post that comment in the Model S thread.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

GRA

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:26 pm

jlv wrote:

Urk, that's were it was meant to go. Brain fart. Can a mod move it, please?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:35 am

GRA wrote:
jlv wrote:

Urk, that's were it was meant to go. Brain fart. Can a mod move it, please?

delete and repost
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 18,297 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 100.00% kwh 28.1 QCs 165, L2's 190
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Interesting perspective on what might be revealed about the Model 3 tomorrow.

Summary
Tesla will release earnings this week and will likely tell or show us more about their Model 3 car. Some Model 3 details could greatly impact company success.
Battery chemistry improvements from modest to spectacular have been reported by Tesla and others. What we learn about Model 3 may tell us how Tesla/Panasonic are doing.
At Model 3 introduction, the car was missing an external charging port. The location and design of the charge port may tell us something about Tesla's SuperCharger plans.
Some form of Head Up Display is anticipated for Model 3. How the HUD is implemented may tell us something interesting about the Tesla/Panasonic relationship.
Looking carefully at what Tesla describes or shows about Model 3 may tell a lot about costs, business strategy, market success and the Tesla/Panasonic relationship.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4048049 ... of=44&dr=1

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:01 am

lorenfb wrote:Interesting perspective on what might be revealed about the Model 3 tomorrow.
Summary
Tesla will release earnings this week and will likely tell or show us more about their Model 3 car. Some Model 3 details could greatly impact company success.
Battery chemistry improvements from modest to spectacular have been reported by Tesla and others. What we learn about Model 3 may tell us how Tesla/Panasonic are doing.
At Model 3 introduction, the car was missing an external charging port. The location and design of the charge port may tell us something about Tesla's SuperCharger plans.
Some form of Head Up Display is anticipated for Model 3. How the HUD is implemented may tell us something interesting about the Tesla/Panasonic relationship.
Looking carefully at what Tesla describes or shows about Model 3 may tell a lot about costs, business strategy, market success and the Tesla/Panasonic relationship.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4048049 ... of=44&dr=1
This article at Electrek gives a clue about what might be coming from Tesla regarding battery technology:
Dahn’s research focuses on increasing the energy density and lifetime of Li-ion batteries in order to drive down costs of Tesla’s automotive and grid energy storage products.

He works mostly with NMC Li-ion cells, Tesla’s preferred chemistry for battery cells, and his keynote address titled “Surprising Chemistry in Li-Ion Cells” will discuss how they could stop harmful reactions in those cells in order to increase their capacity:
It is important to increase the operating voltage of NMC Li-ion cells to obtain higher energy density. However, the electrolyte reacts with the positive electrode at high voltage. Using simple experiments involving only pouch bags, we show that the products of these reactions are extremely harmful to the positive electrode. This talk demonstrates how these harmful reactions at the positive electrode can be virtually stopped, leading to superb NMC Li-ion cells that can operate at high potential.
Dahn’s presentation will follow Kelty’s on March 22 at the International Battery Seminar & Exhibit in Fort Lauderdale.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm

RegGuheert wrote: <snip>This article at Electrek gives a clue about what might be coming from Tesla regarding battery technology:
Dahn’s research focuses on increasing the energy density and lifetime of Li-ion batteries in order to drive down costs of Tesla’s automotive and grid energy storage products.

He works mostly with NMC Li-ion cells, Tesla’s preferred chemistry for battery cells <snip>

Tesla uses NCA not NMC in the Model S/X batteries, so I'm not sure if this article's claim is correct. Maybe Tesla is planning to change over.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:15 am

GRA wrote:Tesla uses NCA not NMC in the Model S/X batteries, so I'm not sure if this article's claim is correct. Maybe Tesla is planning to change over.

Doesn't Tesla use NMC for Powerpack and Powerwall applications? That could be the reason for the reference.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

TonyWilliams

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:Tesla uses NCA not NMC in the Model S/X batteries, so I'm not sure if this article's claim is correct. Maybe Tesla is planning to change over.

Doesn't Tesla use NMC for Powerpack and Powerwall applications? That could be the reason for the reference.

From Wikipedia:

"The 10 kWh battery as originally announced has a nickel-cobalt-aluminum cathode,[9] like the Tesla Model S, which was projected to be used as a backup/uninterruptible power supply, and had a projected cycle life of 1000–1500 cycles."

I don't think they ever delivered this, except for the prototypes sold through Solar City. I know at least on person who got it... I turned them down when they insisted that I had to buy 10 solar panels with it.

"The daily cycle 7 kWh PW1 battery uses nickel-manganese-cobalt chemistry[9] and can be cycled 5,000 times before warranty expiration"

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/07/38 ... ranscript/

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:20 am

Summary
Tesla's 10-K offers new detail on how the Model 3 is coming along.
The detail, stemming from Elon Musk's option milestones, is at odds with Tesla's public pronouncements.
The article also covers a few other details from Tesla's 10-K.
Conclusion
The main conclusion to be drawn here is that Tesla's present schedule for delivering the Model 3 in volume is wildly unrealistic. We now know for a fact that the Model 3 Beta prototype wasn't even ready when the 10-K was written.
Even being optimistic, and ascribing a shorter testing period for the Model 3, still puts volume production around March 2018, or six months later than what Tesla has been saying. While volume production should start only during 2018, the heavy purchase commitments associated with Model 3 will start hitting during 2017. Moreover, the Model 3 will be a life and death bet by Tesla, given the weight of such commitments when compared to its capital structure. A more expensive Model 3, a lower volume Model 3 or a Model 3 subjected to fierce competition can all lead to Tesla quickly falling into dire straits.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4051469-model-3-delay-according-tesla?source=read_now

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”