DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 am

hyperionmark wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:A noted oddity of Tesla owners is that many have spent more on their cars than they ever would have otherwise, which totally belies concerns by Audi, Mercedes or BMW that market share was at their expense. There appear to be a lot of millionaire next door types in that mix who could afford any car they want but normally opt for more frugal choices, which probably accounts for their acquired wealth to a large extent. Tesla may be taking more market share from Honda and Kia than German luxury brands.

You sound like our dear president with those lies. Please show me sources that show that Tesla owners are spending anywhere close to those other owners on maintenance. Every single Tesla owner I know have spent literally $0 on upkeep, unless you count some occasional washer fluid. Please stop spreading lies. Have some integrity.

I know one Tesla owner waffling over whether he was going to do a REQUIRED maintenance that would run him $900...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 26,100.2 miles.363GID Ahr 79.55Hx95.35%kwh28.1QCs227,L2's 237
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 am

lpickup wrote:
hyperionmark wrote:https://electrek.co/2017/10/11/tesla-model-3-first-used-listed-150000/

Well there's one Tesla employee that felt like risking his or her job then! I suppose if you were ready to quit anyway, you might as well take $100K profit from it!

Maybe it's Elon's :D

hyperionmark
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2017

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 am

I'm just excited there are so many new EV's coming to market, especially within the next couple years. I'm rooting for any and all BEV's for environmental reasons.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
hyperionmark wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:A noted oddity of Tesla owners is that many have spent more on their cars than they ever would have otherwise, which totally belies concerns by Audi, Mercedes or BMW that market share was at their expense. There appear to be a lot of millionaire next door types in that mix who could afford any car they want but normally opt for more frugal choices, which probably accounts for their acquired wealth to a large extent. Tesla may be taking more market share from Honda and Kia than German luxury brands.

You sound like our dear president with those lies. Please show me sources that show that Tesla owners are spending anywhere close to those other owners on maintenance. Every single Tesla owner I know have spent literally $0 on upkeep, unless you count some occasional washer fluid. Please stop spreading lies. Have some integrity.

I know one Tesla owner waffling over whether he was going to do a REQUIRED maintenance that would run him $900...

Somehow the wording of my post "spent more on their cars" got interpreted as maintenance costs. I was referring to the purchase price.

That said, there's something of a myth floating around that EVs are maintenance free. True, there are some expenses avoided in terms of oil changes and some filters that are related to the ICE but unless it's a luxury brand that probably isn't going to set you back more than about $100/year. Everything else on the car, suspension parts, tires, little things that break or stop working, you name it are all the same - in the case of Tesla I'd expect these to be quite costly once you're out of warranty, just like they are on other luxury brands.

I'm a big Tesla fan and very much considering getting one at some point but I'm not under any delusion it would be anything but an indulgence. At the end of the day all cars really do about the same thing and even a $30k car is a huge diminishing return over a $15-20k car to me. Stepping up to the $75-90k range is really getting out there... even though I could I'm not feeling like I should.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

EVDRIVER

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
hyperionmark wrote:

Nonsense, there is no required maintenance on a Tesla at any cost to the owner. Please list any required maintenance that an owner must pay to have done. I have never paid a penny on anything. Nothing you don't do will void the warranty either. Best auto service I have ever experienced anywhere on any brand. Feel free to call Tesla service and ask what is REQUIRED with any cost.

LTLFTcomposite

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am

LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:What is this then?
https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans

I don't see anything at that link regarding required service of a Tesla. I saw mutilple offers for optional service plans, similar to what every car manufacturer marketing department offers. Did you put up the wrong link?
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:I have a question Mr dgpcolorado if it isn't being too nosey: had EVs not existed would you have spent what you did on your Tesla on an ICE car? What sort of car would you have otherwise bought?
Here's my answer:

I paid way more for both the LEAF and the Tesla than I would ever pay for an ICE. When you posted your comment ("A noted oddity of Tesla owners is that many have spent more on their cars than they ever would have otherwise"), I felt that everything you said definitely resonated well with my own situation. (And I understood you meant the purchase price)

At the point I got the LEAF, the average age of cars in our household was over 10 years with an average mileage of 150K (and both were brought down because I'd bought my in-law's 8-year-old 60K mi Accord for my daughter). Honda and VW were the makes. Had EVs no existed, another Honda or VW would have been the vehicle of choice. The LEAF with it's $36K sticker certainly was $15K more than any other car we'd ever bought.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I know one Tesla owner waffling over whether he was going to do a REQUIRED maintenance that would run him $900...
I disagree with "REQUIRED" and I disagree with the price you've quoted.

But...

I am a Tesla owner waffling over whether or not to go with a maintenance plan that would run me $600/yr.

I've been really happy with the LEAF: it really has been $0 cost of maintenance so far for 3.5 years. I did put new tires on it this year, so that added up. But there's been nothing else to do. Maybe I'm skipping Nissan's recommended maintenance and will regret it later. I have definitely been skipping the coupons for oil changes they keep sending me.

telsa.com says right at the top "Premium Electric Sedans and SUVs". I didn't buy the S without understanding what I was getting into - it was going to cost more to start and cost more to maintain. At heart I'm a cheap bastard and generally don't pay extra for "premium". But once I drove an EV (the LEAF) I was hooked. And once I drove a Tesla, I was further hooked.

So now I've got an expensive car that I love driving. I'll probably waffle on the decision by in the end I'll probably decide to just opt into the maintenance plan.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

LTLFTcomposite

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 am

webeleafowners wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:What is this then?
https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans

I don't see anything at that link regarding required service of a Tesla. I saw mutilple offers for optional service plans, similar to what every car manufacturer marketing department offers. Did you put up the wrong link?

I don't think so, don't you see a table with a maintenance schedule on that page?

Admittedly some of the listed items (tire rotations, alignments, wiper blades and key fob batteries) might be done by the customer or independent shops, they also list Drive Unit(s) fluid service at one year, and A/C desiccant bag replacement, brake fluid replacement, and cabin air filter replacement at years 2 and 4, and battery coolant replacement at year 4. It would appear from that chart the annual cost of those maintenance services ranges anywhere from $475 to $975 annually. Are these "optional" things? It doesn't sound like they are no-cost services unless you buy the maintenance plan(s), which of course means they are not no-cost.
LTL

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”