edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue May 22, 2018 4:10 pm

If you are looking for the true idiocy revealed in this video, consider that TSLA is reportedly financing this model 3 sale at 3.34% interest.

TSLA would have to pay at least twice that interest rate, if it tried to sell six-year junk bonds today.

I guess this guy must be a hell of a lot more creditworthy than TSLA...

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:...Some people are desperate to "own a tesla" and will go to truly idiotic lengths to achieve it. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ-c4xo6dS0
no condition is permanent

EVDRIVER

Tue May 22, 2018 5:05 pm

edatoakrun wrote:If you are looking for the true idiocy revealed in this video, consider that TSLA is reportedly financing this model 3 sale at 3.34% interest.

TSLA would have to pay at least twice that interest rate, if it tried to sell six-year junk bonds today.

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:...Some people are desperate to "own a tesla" and will go to truly idiotic lengths to achieve it. Case in point:

Ed, you are posting videos that are already posted in this thread, are you paying attention? Try page 255
Forum Moderator

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue May 22, 2018 5:05 pm

I would assume that money comes through some financing arm which would get the money at a rate based on car buyers creditworthiness not Tesla Corp. Like Ford Motor Credit vs Ford Motor Co.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:I would assume that money comes through some financing arm which would get the money at a rate based on car buyers creditworthiness not Tesla Corp...

That's my point exactly, that this college student is clearly much more likely to pay off his debts than TSLA is...

EVDRIVER wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:If you are looking for the true idiocy revealed in this video, consider that TSLA is reportedly financing this model 3 sale at 3.34% interest.

Ed, you are posting videos that are already posted in this thread, are you paying attention? Try page 255

Are you paying attention?

Did you miss that that is a quote from page 255, and did you notice the video is posted with the 3.34 % APR shown?

Please think, before you post...AND also before you delete posts made by others.
no condition is permanent

EVDRIVER

Tue May 22, 2018 5:40 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:I would assume that money comes through some financing arm which would get the money at a rate based on car buyers creditworthiness not Tesla Corp...

That's my point exactly, that this college student is clearly much more likely to pay off his debts than TSLA is...

EVDRIVER wrote:

Are you paying attention?

Did you miss that that is a quote from page 255, and did you notice the video is posted with the 3.34 % APR shown?

Please think, before you post...AND also before you delete posts made by others.

Ed it was a joke- (sarcasm) Please let me know if you deleted the post I listed from the log in the other thread. Thank you:)
Forum Moderator

EVDRIVER

Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:I would assume that money comes through some financing arm which would get the money at a rate based on car buyers creditworthiness not Tesla Corp. Like Ford Motor Credit vs Ford Motor Co.

Are you sure Tesla is not taking deposit holders funds and using them to finance cars at low rates like a ponzi scheme?
Forum Moderator

LTLFTcomposite

Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:I would assume that money comes through some financing arm which would get the money at a rate based on car buyers creditworthiness not Tesla Corp. Like Ford Motor Credit vs Ford Motor Co.

Are you sure Tesla is not taking deposit holders funds and using them to finance cars at low rates like a ponzi scheme?

No, but I think the treatment of the deposit $$$ has been discussed at length, if not here than elsewhere (IIRC the funds are not held in escrow so those deposits are not "safe" should it come to restructuring, but Tesla can't recognize it as revenue... maybe someone else will recall specifics).
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

LTLFTcomposite

Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 pm

edatoakrun wrote:That's my point exactly, that this college student is clearly much more likely to pay off his debts than TSLA is...

That's actually kind of funny when you think about it. The perspective from the lender is that the car loan is nice and safe because the car itself is security while Tesla Corp is a riskier proposition. What that overlooks is that if Tesla Corp goes under the value of the cars would take a nosedive along with it, likely more than a conventional car because of the technology specialization. Imagine if the entire super charger network was shut down and warranties were useless.
Long ago we experienced this with an RV manufacturer that went bust. We got zero warranty support but fortunately parts were available off the shelf so we didn't get hurt too badly.
LTL

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:

Cash is fungible. Once a general deposit is received it can be used for any purpose. Does not make it a ponzi scheme. Same with your landlord does not set aside your deposit in a separate special account... it just goes in the checking account for whatever. Needs to be applied to the purchase or refunded in accordance with the contract.

Ponzi scheme distributes investments of new investors to existing investors which would be the non existent dividends or stock repurchases.

Read more on Ponzi himself, or more recently Bernard Madoff or the pyramid schemes of the past. Very different.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
SageBrush wrote:I showed that video to my wife. We both wondered why banks would give a student a $50k loan for a car.
I can only imagine the lenders were swayed by his job prospects (in nursing ?) after he graduates, but it still means that the country is full steam ahead into easy credit. How short our memories are.

If I were king all consumer lending would be non recourse. Isn't CA already leading the way there? (was the guy in the video from CA?)

In other news, the jokers in congress have just agreed to repeal some of the post 2008 banking regulation that was interfering with bankers ability to extend (easier) credit.

The video guy should have waited a few months, then he could have financed the car and taken out another $50k cash for incidentals.

To your question, since the last massive credit bubble was fueled by the opaque derivatives market and the congressional idiots are setting us up for more of the same, I sincerely doubt non recourse loans will plug the dike.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”