LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I like the thought of having a car that will be improved (preferably for free) while it sits in the garage. I don't want a car, however, that lacks important, easy to include features like a key fob when it rolls off the lot or truck. They could have made two fobs a $300 option.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

TonyWilliams

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 pm

I haven't had the issues with the phones, and we have two iPhones.

I don't really like the card entry, simply because the card has to be placed somewhere, where a fob has a battery and can stay in my pocket, like the iPhone.

Anyhoo, I've not used the card even once since pairing the iPhone.

I have a long laundry list of things to complain about, but I suspect most will be addressed with OTA updates.

Phenomenal car!!!

TonyWilliams

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Nice gathering this weekend at my shop to check out the:

2017 Tesla Model 3
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV
2018 Nissan LEAF

https://www.facebook.com/QuickChargePow ... 6459457510

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 am

keydiver wrote:If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

Here's the thing, though. There really aren't plenty of other cars out there. There's the Bolt, and eventually Nissan will catch up with the 2019 Leaf. That's three whole options. And neither the Bolt nor the Leaf have anywhere near the supporting quick-charge infrastructure.

I understand that there are certain things that are trendy. Auto-pilot. Large touch screens. Treating your car like a piece of electronics (e.g. OTA updates). None of that really appeals to me. I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?).

For those who want to enjoy the above trends, by all means do so. The Model 3 is a wonderful car and I am by no means putting it down. It is truly revolutionary, in the same way that the Model S was before it.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 am

TonyWilliams wrote:I haven't had the issues with the phones, and we have two iPhones.

I don't really like the card entry, simply because the card has to be placed somewhere, where a fob has a battery and can stay in my pocket, like the iPhone.

I'm on the same page with you re: key card. It would be a step backwards to have to actually get something out of my pocket.

As for the phones, let me say that obviously I don't know whether or not it will be a problem. Maybe Tesla finally has done a Bluetooth implementation that actually works with all the various phones on the market and somehow they are able to accurately get the distance right. I am just expressing my fear that there will be issues.

Reminds me of the first time I stayed at a Hilton with Bluetooth door locks. Turned out to be a complete hassle compared to swiping a key, and didn't even work anyway.

But I do plan on giving it a fair try anyway.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

Zythryn

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:11 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
keydiver wrote:If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

Here's the thing, though. There really aren't plenty of other cars out there. There's the Bolt, and eventually Nissan will catch up with the 2019 Leaf. That's three whole options. And neither the Bolt nor the Leaf have anywhere near the supporting quick-charge infrastructure.

I understand that there are certain things that are trendy. Auto-pilot. Large touch screens. Treating your car like a piece of electronics (e.g. OTA updates). None of that really appeals to me. I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?).

For those who want to enjoy the above trends, by all means do so. The Model 3 is a wonderful car and I am by no means putting it down. It is truly revolutionary, in the same way that the Model S was before it.

This surprises me, greatly.
I am no sports car enthusiast, however I know lots of Tesla owners that are.
I have felt more ‘connected’ to driving in the Tesla than any other car I have ever driven or test driven.
I am guessing you expanded on this? Do you have a link to an earlier post going into a bit of detail about this?
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

EVDRIVER

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 am

keydiver wrote:THIS:
ElonMusk wrote:Image

This is why I can't understand everyone who is getting their panties all in a bunch about the touchscreen. I guess if you have never owned a Tesla, you don't understand how valuable OTA updates are. As I suspected, Tesla is just pushing the Model 3's out the door as quickly as possible now to satisfy customers and shareholders, while the software guys are busy finishing the touchscreen interface and voice commands. The cars will just keep on getting better and better, for years to come. This is the way Tesla does things, unlike every other manufacturer who expects you to dump last year's model to get some new feature. If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

+1000 Good luck with any upgrades on other EVs.

GRA

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Via IEVS:
Tesla Rep Reveals Little-Known Model 3 Info – Alcantara Out, Heated Rear Seats, White Interior Soon
https://insideevs.com/tesla-representative-reveals-little-known-model-3/

Assume Tesla definition of 'soon'.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:...I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?)....

My feelings exactly. It's as if they're hell-bent on autonomous cars but have to begrudgingly put up with accommodating human drivers. So enamored with software that they are blind to the advantages of dedicated human-hardware interfaces that have evolved in over a century of use.

I applaud the range and it's a nice-looking car. The supercharging network shows that Tesla understands and is committed to making EVs feasible. However, for me to own one to drive? No thanks. I want the wiper stalk. I want knobs and levers I can reach and actuate without looking or a moment's thought. That stay off when I mean them to be off and turn on when I tell them to turn on. I DO NOT want the car deciding and I don't want to take my eyes off the road to dig through menus, and I don't want to verbally negotiate with a goddamned computer to accomplish something that should only take a flick of the wrist.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 pm

GRA wrote:Via IEVS:
Tesla Rep Reveals Little-Known Model 3 Info – Alcantara Out, Heated Rear Seats, White Interior Soon
https://insideevs.com/tesla-representative-reveals-little-known-model-3/

Assume Tesla definition of 'soon'.

insideEVs wrote:The rep expects white to be offered on the long-range version of the Model 3 prior to Tesla making available the shorter range 3. That puts the timeframe for the arrival of the white interior at point time from now through the end of the year,

Well my delivery estimate for a standard battery says "Early 2018", which means I should have it by September. When production first started last summer it was Jan-Feb, then in the fall it changed to Mar-April, and now it just says early 2018.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”