lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:
lorenfb wrote:The argument could be made that Tesla should have had at the time of the M3 intro a new model
of the MS to introduce.

I think I found the first statement of yours I agree with.

The S and X will need a comprehensive refresh soon to bring them up to par with (or exceed) the baked-in newness of the 3. The touchscreen hardware, door cards, navigation software, etc all need to be refreshed sooner than later.

If they do it this quarter then the freshened cars already likely started production and are being loaded for the slow trip overseas like they did when the S got a refresh in ‘16. As Tesla delivers cars in the US at the end of a given quarter it gives them time to unload inventory and finalize transactions for cars built to the previous spec. It’s one of the few logistical things Tesla does well.

The issue then becomes how to effectively differentiate the two, i.e. a facelift of the MS won't do it alone.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 65K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F, min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

EVDRIVER

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

lorenfb wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:
lorenfb wrote:The argument could be made that Tesla should have had at the time of the M3 intro a new model
of the MS to introduce.

The S and X will need a comprehensive refresh soon to bring them up to par with (or exceed) the baked-in newness of the 3. The touchscreen hardware, door cards, navigation software, etc all need to be refreshed sooner than later.

If they do it this quarter then the freshened cars already likely started production and are being loaded for the slow trip overseas like they did when the S got a refresh in ‘16. As Tesla delivers cars in the US at the end of a given quarter it gives them time to unload inventory and finalize transactions for cars built to the previous spec. It’s one of the few logistical things Tesla does well.

The issue then becomes how to effectively differentiate the two, i.e. a facelift of the MS won't do it alone.

The X is a completely different vehicle to the S and a different buying segment, not a comparison to the 3 in any way. The New S will likely be a higher performance and much nicer redesign of the 3 but expect it to follow the 3 interior path with reduction of screens. Elon wants to do full autonomous and you will see this impact design. When they were building the 3 they ended up scaling it back on the seats,etc because it was actually getting nicer than the S. The new S will get these higher end finishes and touches.
Forum Moderator

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 pm

One week in, and all I can say is "I love the Model 3".
Just a joy to drive. I had a big EV grin with my '13 S and I drove it everywhere, Moab, Vermont. But maybe a bigger grin here only because I feel like I get most of the 'S' in the smaller package I enjoy more.
It's by no means as fully featured nor as quiet as the X and I assume by extension the newer S's.
But it feels solid as a rock and I'll bet they sell a lot of base models with AutoPilot. I for one am very happy with my choice of options though. 300+ miles is sweet for my frequent SoCal<->NorCal trips.
This thing is damn efficient once you settle down to cruising, even at the "higher" speeds. Tesla might be sandbagging on the range.
I had some quirky phone-key config issues and weird account problems over the last week but Tesla seems to have resolved those.
Gave several test drives and common comments were:
"Love the interior"
"Surprised I didn't miss having an instrument panel directly in front".
and the usual
"Wow it's fast!!!"

Still have my LEAF after 7 years (yesterday!). It's going on the market any day.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Congrats @sparky !
I have a few more months to wait for mine, so keep those reports flowing :mrgreen:
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

VIN 4748 was delivered in San Diego. The production does seem to be ramping up rapidly.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

mtndrew1

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:41 pm

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fi ... ve-review/

Seems like a fair review. A car to crave, potentially hampered by Tesla’s usual weak spots (fit and finish, timeliness of delivery).

Sounds like if they can build enough of them they could have a huge success on their hands. I continue to see more and more Model 3s around with new car tags and an acquaintance of mine took delivery of his this week.

Looking forward to mine.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Over 600 posts, WTF ???

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... 63/page-31

If you want to see what they're missing...

...A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat...

https://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-is-a ... 1604799947

edatoakrun wrote:Might indicate a supplier relations problem, due to the long-delayed-trickle model 3 production schedule.

Model 3 owners accuse Tesla of bait-and-switch on premium interior materials

Owners report getting cloth interiors instead of Alcantara, with no explanation offered.

Reservation-holders are starting to get deliveries of their Model 3s at long last, but there's rising ire among some who say that Tesla is swapping out premium interior materials for lower-quality cloth versions on premium trim packages without notice, explanation or any offer to discount the price.

Threads on both the Tesla Motors Club forum and Tesla Reddit page are filled with complaints from owners who say they've taken deliveries of the Model 3 sedan and paid $5,000 for premium upgrade packages but gotten interiors with cloth headliners, door accents, B-pillars and visors when they expected Alcantara. One owner took to Twitter to post photos of what he described as a "mix and match" interior in his new car...

"Tesla better correct it," user void-ninja said in a TMC thread. "Basic cloth is not acceptable in a $5,000 upgrade package when better materials are being specified."...

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/11/mod ... -interior/
no condition is permanent

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm

lorenfb wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:
of the MS to introduce.

Given how well they kept the new roadster under wraps, I wouldn't be surprised if a newly design MS is presented in the next six months.

EVDRIVER

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm

lorenfb wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:
of the MS to introduce.

The same way BMW does it with their cars. Additionally, the cost to produce the S will go way down if they move to a new platform design similar to the 3. Believe it or not auto makers have product segmentation and it works, any new S will reflect this with differences to warrant the price spread. There won't be a "face lift" and business as usual. Now back to the silly business of VIN counting.

PS- There should soon be a healthy supply of more dirt cheap LEAFs on the market since there are huge numbers of LEAF drivers with 3 reservations.
Forum Moderator

GRA

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Via IEVS:
Tesla Model 3 Versus Model S – Rear Seat Comparison Video
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-versus-model-s-rear-seat-comparison-video/

The Model 3's got more head and shoulder room, the S more elbow and hip room.
Last edited by GRA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”