EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Zythryn wrote:
EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:...
I still need to see one of these cars in person to decide if I am keeping my reservation or not.

Where are you located?
Upsdate NY

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:That the model 3 is so poorly designed, it's funny.

Sorry you didn't get the joke.

No I don't get it, a 12V battery dies so what?...

If you're lucky enough to have it happen to your 3 in your garage, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQsOC8EqIY

I can think of lots of worse places to find your 3 has locked you out, locked your 3 out of tow mode, and (if when plugged in) locked you to a charge cable, due to any 12 volt system failure.

As discussed on this thread, lots of places where it won't be funny at all...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... le.108412/

Poor design, to make vehicle access dependent on the 12 volt system, especially so when considering TSLA's history of recurring 12 V system failures.
I know none of us have any idea at all what percentage of model 3s are having problems, but I have seen an awful lot of things like this. This is the first one of this type, but I've seen reports of cracked glass, lots of key cards that won't work, center screens that won't work, a battery that needed to be replaced, suspension problems, etc. just really everything I've seen reports of issues with.

Now we've all harped on Nissan for its Leaf battery situation but correct me if I'm wrong when the 2011 Leaf came out, major issues were few and far between. It seems to me a sign of tesla's immaturity as a company, and for whatever reason their buyers give them incredible leeway in first gen quality issues.

That's a $42k car (assuming he got federal credit) that won't even turn on or let him in the car.

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:Now we've all harped on Nissan for its Leaf battery situation but correct me if I'm wrong when the 2011 Leaf came out, major issues were few and far between. It seems to me a sign of tesla's immaturity as a company, and for whatever reason their buyers give them incredible leeway in first gen quality issues.

I think if you were to look back in the archives of the mynissanleaf forum in the 2012 timeframe and just go in and pick out the posts that had some kind of "problem" involved, you'd probably come to the same kind of conclusion about the LEAF as you are coming to with the Model 3, that it's got a ton of issues and everyone must be miserable with their vehicles. When the reality is that the problems aren't all that common and you have the normal bias of the 99% of the people that have had no issues with the car aren't starting a new thread to say so.

Having said that, there are certain cases of problems with the Model 3 that are probably more serious than those present in the early LEAF due to lack of redundant/backup systems or use of new and unproven technology that is not quite ready for prime time yet. So even though the number of incidents might be very low, they are very severe in their nature.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

lpickup
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 pm

...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

EVDRIVER

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

This must be a software bug or some other issue, to kill the battery on a 3 would require draining the pack down which on that car is difficult without user error. You can use a 9V battery to pop the trunk if it were dead. The car was also left for two weeks with a 120V car plugged in so who knows what happened but I would bet that there are more cases of LEAFs that have killed their 12V than there will be on this car comparatively by a huge margin. Those citing the old design also don't know that there is now a small dc/dc in the pack on newer models. Anyone want to guess how many LEAFs were pulled and not sent out on the original production runs because of defects? Clearly Tesla has pressure to push out all cars and will remedy any issues, in the scheme of things so few cars have been made under extreme pressure that I'm surprised there are not bigger issues.

Any updates on the motor that "blew up". :roll:

Zythryn

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:...I know none of us have any idea at all what percentage of model 3s are having problems, but I have seen an awful lot of things like this. This is the first one of this type, but I've seen reports of cracked glass, lots of key cards that won't work, center screens that won't work, a battery that needed to be replaced, suspension problems, etc. just really everything I've seen reports of issues with.

Now we've all harped on Nissan for its Leaf battery situation but correct me if I'm wrong when the 2011 Leaf came out, major issues were few and far between. It seems to me a sign of tesla's immaturity as a company, and for whatever reason their buyers give them incredible leeway in first gen quality issues.

That's a $42k car (assuming he got federal credit) that won't even turn on or let him in the car.

Have you seen my review of our Model 3 we picked up Monday?
Or my friend Dan’s review after he picked up his in December?

Probably not, as neither of us have made one.
For me, the delivery process was wonderful. No issues with the car, phone was set up smoothly and worked great. No cracks in windows, or other issues.

But people like me are less likely to post. People with complaints are much more likely to post.

Now, your statement that neither of us knows the rate of these issues is absolutely true. And I would be willing to bet that Tesla, as a much younger manufacturer, has a higher rate of issues than Nissan does with the Leaf.
But in my opinion, companies much more mature than, and much larger than Tesla have had much worse design issues.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

EVDRIVER

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Zythryn wrote:But in my opinion, companies much more mature than, and much larger than Tesla have had much worse design issues.

And continue to today.

OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:20 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Zythryn wrote:But in my opinion, companies much more mature than, and much larger than Tesla have had much worse design issues.

And continue to today.

Your opinion could use a reality check.

Check out Ford's Production Hell
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

mtndrew1

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

And continue to today.

Your opinion could use a reality check.

Check out Ford's Production Hell

Weird, the same company fumbled around to deliver their flagship product two years late.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewing/ ... b71485341c

I hear that after waiting for two years after plunking down massive deposits that customers are beginning to see their cars.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range (100% charge @ 12k miles shows 1.6% degradation)

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

mtndrew1

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014102 ... -in-mexico

Remember when the Honda Fit and HRV were delayed and suffered from poor quality when Honda struggled to get a factory up and running? I hear they’ve been building cars a while.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range (100% charge @ 12k miles shows 1.6% degradation)

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”