User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6208
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:Weird, the same company fumbled around to deliver their flagship product two years late.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewing/ ... b71485341c

I hear that after waiting for two years after plunking down massive deposits that customers are beginning to see their cars.
Sorry, but the F-Series pickup built on the production line featured in the Daily Kanban article is Ford's "flagship product", not the Ford GT.

The F-Series is also a much better product to compare to the Model S since both products have similar pricing and are intended to be manufactured in very high quantities.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

mtndrew1
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:Weird, the same company fumbled around to deliver their flagship product two years late.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markewing/ ... b71485341c

I hear that after waiting for two years after plunking down massive deposits that customers are beginning to see their cars.
Sorry, but the F-Series pickup built on the production line featured in the Daily Kanban article is Ford's "flagship product", not the Ford GT.

The F-Series is also a much better product to compare to the Model S since both products have similar pricing and are intended to be manufactured in very high quantities.


The point being that even established automakers with a century of design and manufacturing experience struggle with launching an ambitious product.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

mtndrew1
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Mazda’s been making cars a while. They’re four years late on their promised SKYACTIV-D launch.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/0 ... e-america/
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

mtndrew1
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm

FCA has a collective 175 years or so of automaking experience. Remember how the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio were 18 months late?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... -immature/

Edit: Same company delivered the Pacifica Plug-in more than six months later than promised and almost immediately had to recall all of them due to a dangerous powertrain defect.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 100118378/
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

GRA
Posts: 8572
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:FCA has a collective 175 years or so of automaking experience. Remember how the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio were 18 months late?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... -immature/

Edit: Same company delivered the Pacifica Plug-in more than six months later than promised and almost immediately had to recall all of them due to a dangerous powertrain defect.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 100118378/

Well, yeah but it's Fiat Chrysler you're talking about, i.e. one step up from Yugo. :lol:
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

mtndrew1
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm

GRA wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:FCA has a collective 175 years or so of automaking experience. Remember how the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio were 18 months late?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... -immature/

Edit: Same company delivered the Pacifica Plug-in more than six months later than promised and almost immediately had to recall all of them due to a dangerous powertrain defect.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 100118378/

Well, yeah but it's Fiat Chrysler you're talking about, i.e. one step up from Yugo. :lol:


And Mazda. And Honda.

I’ve worked for major automakers and no matter how smoothly a launch appears to the customer it’s an absolute train wreck sh*tshow on the inside.

Building cars is hard, even if you’ve been doing it a long time. Toyota often does best at this but a large part of that is recycling platforms for ages. The 2018 Camry is the first brand new platform for the car since 2003 if memory serves, for example.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

Zythryn
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
Zythryn wrote:But in my opinion, companies much more mature than, and much larger than Tesla have had much worse design issues.


And continue to today.


Your opinion could use a reality check.

Check out Ford's Production Hell


Not sure why you say that.
I did not say Ford wasn't much more established with a much larger production capacity. No question there.
What I referred to was design issues leading to:

CO poisoning of drivers: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classifie ... story.html

Or GM's killer ignition switch: http://money.cnn.com/infographic/pf/aut ... index.html

And of course, we are well aware here of the early Leaf battery fiasco.

These are examples of, IMO, far worse design issues by far more mature and larger car companies.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

EatsShootsandLeafs
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:Mazda’s been making cars a while. They’re four years late on their promised SKYACTIV-D launch.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/0 ... e-america/
False equivalence because, really, who cares about that motor. Does it matter to Mazda all that much? Does it matter to Ford's bottom line if their GT is a year late, two years late, if they just cancel it?

Be honest: do you think that the Ford GT is as important to Ford as the MOdel 3 is to Tesla?

Don't answer that question, it was rhetorical.

I liked the article about ford manufacturing. I see it parroted that tesla is going to revolutionize auto manufacture and not one scintilla of proof has ever been offered they are doing anything other automakers are not doing or are incapable of.

lorenfb
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:Mazda’s been making cars a while. They’re four years late on their promised SKYACTIV-D launch.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/0 ... e-america/
False equivalence because, really, who cares about that motor. Does it matter to Mazda all that much? Does it matter to Ford's bottom line if their GT is a year late, two years late, if they just cancel it?

Be honest: do you think that the Ford GT is as important to Ford as the MOdel 3 is to Tesla?

Don't answer that question, it was rhetorical.

I liked the article about ford manufacturing. I see it parroted that tesla is going to revolutionize auto manufacture and not one scintilla of proof has ever been offered they are doing anything other automakers are not doing or are incapable of.


There occurs occasionally a sense of rationality being expressed in this thread!

Sorry for the many "taken-down-the-path" when making a reservation based on the assumption of a deliverable $35K M3
almost two years ago. It's truly a sad and unfortunate outcome for many.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 65K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F, min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 6349
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Now you are empathetic. Touching.
Forum Moderator

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”