User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 am

GRA wrote:Edmunds has a Model 3 in their lo g term test fleet. For those who, like me, want to be able to carry a bike in the car, turns out even a large frame will fit quite well, although you have to remove the front wheel: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/long-term-road-test/2017-tesla-model-3-will-an-xl-size-mountain-bike-fit.html
Really interesting! I figured I'd have to take the seat post out to get a large frame mountain bike in the 3, but apparently not. A lot easier to put a bicycle in the S but it is nice to see that you can do it in the 3 as well.

I always keep an old bedspread in my trunk to serve as a pad and to catch the dirt from my bike — living on a dirt road it always has some dried mud on it. Also makes it easier to slide the bicycle inside without worrying about damage to the car.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Update from ~10 days ago, with tentative workout to the problem by TSLA posted:

...a firmware error was the primary contributing factor that stopped the 12V from charging as designed. A new firmware, which fixes the issue I experienced, was loaded onto the car. This appears to have remedied the error. They replaced the 12V battery (as a precaution since it was fully drained) with a brand new one and have been monitoring its charge. As of now, it's holding a charge as expected. Since I'm not in a hurry, I did say it wouldn't be a problem to keep the car over the weekend...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-2569756

Meanwhile, anecdotal posts of multiple model 3 12 V battery failures on TMC threads, such as:

...If you find yourself in a similar situation to me and you NEED to move your car - at your own risk you may JUMP the 12v battery. Tesla advises against it - but it was the first thing the Tesla preferred tow driver did. He told me has seen this issue already on several model 3s (! There can’t be more than 100 delivered in my region). He jumped the battery and was able to get the car into drive. It’s easy to access the 12v battery in this car, I won’t go into it here but you can look it up easily. If you do decide to jump - do it quickly and immediately move your car somewhere safe. My 12v battery completely failed shortly after we got it into drive and could not be fully jumped again...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ed.108863/

edatoakrun wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:That the model 3 is so poorly designed, it's funny.

Sorry you didn't get the joke.


No I don't get it, a 12V battery dies so what?...


If you're lucky enough to have it happen to your 3 in your garage, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQsOC8EqIY

I can think of lots of worse places to find your 3 has locked you out, locked your 3 out of tow mode, and (if when plugged in) locked you to a charge cable, due to any 12 volt system failure.

As discussed on this thread, lots of places where it won't be funny at all...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... le.108412/

Poor design, to make vehicle access dependent on the 12 volt system, especially so when considering TSLA's history of recurring 12 V system failures.
no condition is permanent

GRA
Posts: 9098
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:Edmunds has a Model 3 in their lo g term test fleet. For those who, like me, want to be able to carry a bike in the car, turns out even a large frame will fit quite well, although you have to remove the front wheel: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/long-term-road-test/2017-tesla-model-3-will-an-xl-size-mountain-bike-fit.html
Really interesting! I figured I'd have to take the seat post out to get a large frame mountain bike in the 3, but apparently not. A lot easier to put a bicycle in the S but it is nice to see that you can do it in the 3 as well.

I always keep an old bedspread in my trunk to serve as a pad and to catch the dirt from my bike — living on a dirt road it always has some dried mud on it. Also makes it easier to slide the bicycle inside without worrying about damage to the car.

Whenever I carry a bike in my Forester I throw in a sheet of cardboard, both for protection and to make it slide easier. Using something like an old sheet or bedspread, i find it always gets wrapped around a pedal or handlebar, and I have to spend time untangling it.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9220
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 pm

I picked up a recycled fiber grey area rug for $20 at Lowes. I used part of it to make a rear cargo mat, and the big piece I had left is great for carrying sharp-edged or less than clean objects in my car. I put it in with the rug fibers facing down against the car, and place the bicycle or whatever on the tough backing. It slides well, too.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

edatoakrun wrote:Update from ~10 days ago, with tentative workout to the problem by TSLA posted:

...a firmware error was the primary contributing factor that stopped the 12V from charging as designed. A new firmware, which fixes the issue I experienced, was loaded onto the car. This appears to have remedied the error. They replaced the 12V battery (as a precaution since it was fully drained) with a brand new one and have been monitoring its charge. As of now, it's holding a charge as expected. Since I'm not in a hurry, I did say it wouldn't be a problem to keep the car over the weekend...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-2569756

Meanwhile, anecdotal posts of multiple model 3 12 V battery failures on TMC threads, such as:

...If you find yourself in a similar situation to me and you NEED to move your car - at your own risk you may JUMP the 12v battery. Tesla advises against it - but it was the first thing the Tesla preferred tow driver did. He told me has seen this issue already on several model 3s (! There can’t be more than 100 delivered in my region). He jumped the battery and was able to get the car into drive. It’s easy to access the 12v battery in this car, I won’t go into it here but you can look it up easily. If you do decide to jump - do it quickly and immediately move your car somewhere safe. My 12v battery completely failed shortly after we got it into drive and could not be fully jumped again...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ed.108863/

edatoakrun wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
No I don't get it, a 12V battery dies so what?...


If you're lucky enough to have it happen to your 3 in your garage, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQsOC8EqIY

I can think of lots of worse places to find your 3 has locked you out, locked your 3 out of tow mode, and (if when plugged in) locked you to a charge cable, due to any 12 volt system failure.

As discussed on this thread, lots of places where it won't be funny at all...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... le.108412/

Poor design, to make vehicle access dependent on the 12 volt system, especially so when considering TSLA's history of recurring 12 V system failures.



Yes as mentioned before software, you need to drain the entire pack to get the 12V to die otherwise. Also they are changing the software on the glove box as well so everyone will now need to find new non-issues to complain about. Unlike Nissan, the 12V battery on the 3 won't be a long term issue.

Oh and looks like Nissan has fixed all their issues on the new car....

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2099&start=2290#p519606

lorenfb
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am

As such, it appears that 100% of the Model 3’s coming out of the factory have bug ridden, beta grade software. Furthermore, based on fan site reviews, we suspect that 50% or more of Model 3s coming out of factory also have hardware defects. Many of the defects and types have been documented on our recent articles.


https://seekingalpha.com/article/414967 ... of=44&dr=1

It increasingly appears that Tesla will have a demand problem from Model 3. This should not be surprising to our readers as we have been forecasting that demand for Model 3 would be significantly lower than management forecasts due to the car’s price being much higher than the much touted $35,000 level.


Tesla could have introduced the $35,000 cars to its employees and owners but the gross margins on that car would likely be negative. That would be a disaster for Tesla’s Model 3 gross margin narrative. Consequently, Tesla management is taking a gamble that it is better to expand the customer circle and go for higher gross margins.



Based on comments on extremely friendly fan sites, rare are people who are getting a Model 3 without a manufacturing defect from the factory. The expectations of quality are so low that some customers have created a checklist on what to check for at the time of Model 3 delivery and what level of quality is acceptable.


Have to love Elon's "low ball" $35K M3 strategy to generate needed cash flow, i.e. ~ $.5B reservations 2 yrs ago.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 66K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

hyperionmark
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2017
Location: Nebraska

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:05 pm

poor loren sad about his short position?

mtndrew1
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 pm

I got my invitation last night to configure for a 3-6 week delivery window. Non employee, non owner. I’m holding out for the standard range car though.

I rented a model 3 on Turo two weekends ago and it was exactly what I want. I drove like a BMW back when they were still fun with forward visibility and a low belt line like Hondas used to have. Best stereo I’ve ever heard in a car and there wasn’t a squeak or rattle to be found. Of course it has monstrous power and taut, stable handling.

I’m seeing them multiple times a day now.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:00 pm

hyperionmark wrote:poor loren sad about his short position?



That and that the $35K car is not available to him early enough. I guess we should also ignore the fact that all the LEAFs had bugs in thier software as well. The trolling, will continue endlessly.

hyperionmark
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2017
Location: Nebraska

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
hyperionmark wrote:poor loren sad about his short position?



That and that the $35K car is not available to him early enough. I guess we should also ignore the fact that all the LEAFs had bugs in thier software as well. The trolling, will continue endlessly.

yup, trolls gonna troll

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”