lorenfb
Posts: 1812
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am

mtndrew1 wrote:Oh just ignore him, honestly. He’s goofy.


Have a problem focusing on the issues being discussed, or are you only capable of ad hominem attacks too?

mtndrew1 wrote:Tesla can remotely flash nearly every part of the car without it ever seeing a mechanic. If you ever watch one of the cars go through its update cycle you’ll hear and see many of the subsystems going through firmware flashing.


But when one posts laughable comments as above, one usually reverts to their trolling nature.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 66K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 am

After finding just a few things to criticize about the 3, greencarreports asks the existential question:
Tesla Model 3 quality is terrible, but will it matter to buyers?

So we've finally had the chance to spend time with a 2018 Tesla Model 3, courtesy of a generous and devoted Green Car Reports reader.

We'll have our first-drive report and a full review of the car within a day or two—but that's not what this article is about.

The build quality of the early Model 3 we tested in late February was, in a word, appalling.

Before we were even able to visit the owner, the car had to go back to the Tesla service center to have the central touchscreen replaced.

You know, the one required to control virtually any aspect of the car except for turn signals, headlights, and wipers?...

As the owner wrote to us:

We took delivery of our Model 3 today. It looked like everything was working OK until we got within about 10 miles of the house. That was when the touchscreen started to malfunction....Nothing like paying $50,000 to be a beta tester...I have found the car twice in the garage, locked, with the stereo blasting at full volume for who knows how long...

In the end, Tesla replaced the screen and the new unit seemed to function properly. We scheduled our test drive for a couple of weeks later.

During the test itself, two things became clear: The Model 3 works largely as intended, and the build quality was the worst we have seen on any new car from any maker over the last 10 years.

The flaws and defects broke down into two categories: those that affected the functioning of the car or the owner's driving experience, and those that didn't.

The first group included:

The defective touchscreen and all the follow-on effects (above)
Persistent creaks and groans from the console or dash
An intermittent loud buzz from the upper right-hand center door pillar at highway speeds on some road surfaces
A steering vibration (in a car with just 1,000 miles)...

The longer list of assembly defects on our car that early owners seem likely to overlook are a remarkable number of fit and finish issues:

Misaligned body panels
Widely varying gaps between panel edges
Headlights protruding above panels in some places, sunken below them in others, varying side to side
Glovebox door that didn't sit square in its opening
Badly fitted chrome door trim that didn't align from piece to piece
Note that the cheapest Chevy, Honda, Hyundai, or Toyota wouldn’t make it out of the factory with any one of those observable problems, let alone the whole list of them...

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... -to-buyers
no condition is permanent

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes many crickets.

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:...Remember the big 12V battery issue on the M3 that ended up not being one at all and was fixed with a firmware update? ...

No, it wasn't fixed, because you can't fix a fundamental design flaw like the 3's with a firmware update.

It was idiotic to design a vehicle that requires an external 12 V source to unlock the the doors, or to even gain access to the 12 volt battery locked away in the frunk, and even more pathetic that access is not always possible even after you find a 12 V source...

Here we go again... Model 3 wont power up

Not even a week after getting my Model 3 back after the drive unit failed...

I'm stuck here at work and can't get in my car. Can't even open the frunk - tried with a 9v and two different sets of jumper cables on a 12v car battery.

I really love my car and Tesla but this is getting tiresome

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... up.110199/
no condition is permanent

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:40 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:...Remember the big 12V battery issue on the M3 that ended up not being one at all and was fixed with a firmware update? ...

No, it wasn't fixed, because you can't fix a fundamental design flaw like the 3's with a firmware update.

It was idiotic to design a vehicle that requires an external 12 V source to unlock the the doors, or to even gain access to the 12 volt battery locked away in the frunk, and even more pathetic that access is not always possible even after you find a 12 V source...

Here we go again... Model 3 wont power up

Not even a week after getting my Model 3 back after the drive unit failed...

I'm stuck here at work and can't get in my car. Can't even open the frunk - tried with a 9v and two different sets of jumper cables on a 12v car battery.

I really love my car and Tesla but this is getting tiresome

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... up.110199/



Yes it was fixed unlike the LEAF. Also be careful what you read, many of these "failures" falsely stated and the I doubt an owner can diagnose a drive failure. But keep trolling the Tesla forum for FUD to post here. Perhaps you can post some of the LEAf and other EV or car maker issues as well. Make a chart, I know who will come out on top.

palmermd
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Yes it was fixed unlike the LEAF. Also be careful what you read, many of these "failures" falsely stated and the I doubt an owner can diagnose a drive failure. But keep trolling the Tesla forum for FUD to post here. Perhaps you can post some of the LEAf and other EV or car maker issues as well. Make a chart, I know who will come out on top.


Can i take a 10 day vacation and leave my Model 3 plugged in at home and come home and drive it?
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996


First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

mtndrew1
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 pm

palmermd wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Yes it was fixed unlike the LEAF. Also be careful what you read, many of these "failures" falsely stated and the I doubt an owner can diagnose a drive failure. But keep trolling the Tesla forum for FUD to post here. Perhaps you can post some of the LEAf and other EV or car maker issues as well. Make a chart, I know who will come out on top.


Can i take a 10 day vacation and leave my Model 3 plugged in at home and come home and drive it?


You can! Though to be fair you might not be able to do the opposite lol. Some Tesla software versions have had significant vampire drain unplugged. Perhaps these have been remedied in recent firmware updates.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:
palmermd wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Yes it was fixed unlike the LEAF. Also be careful what you read, many of these "failures" falsely stated and the I doubt an owner can diagnose a drive failure. But keep trolling the Tesla forum for FUD to post here. Perhaps you can post some of the LEAf and other EV or car maker issues as well. Make a chart, I know who will come out on top.


Can i take a 10 day vacation and leave my Model 3 plugged in at home and come home and drive it?


You can! Though to be fair you might not be able to do the opposite lol. Some Tesla software versions have had significant vampire drain unplugged. Perhaps these have been remedied in recent firmware updates.


The vampire load is MUCH better on the 3, set it for all power save modes.

mtndrew1
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm

My Volts, Soul EV, and Leaf all have literally zero vampire drain. I’ve always been a little perturbed that Teslas have any whatsoever. But so it is.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6457
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:My Volts, Soul EV, and Leaf all have literally zero vampire drain. I’ve always been a little perturbed that Teslas have any whatsoever. But so it is.


I guess if you disconnect the 12v battery on the LEAF....

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”