scottf200
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:21 am

palmermd wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Yes it was fixed unlike the LEAF. Also be careful what you read, many of these "failures" falsely stated and the I doubt an owner can diagnose a drive failure. But keep trolling the Tesla forum for FUD to post here. Perhaps you can post some of the LEAf and other EV or car maker issues as well. Make a chart, I know who will come out on top.


Can i take a 10 day vacation and leave my Model 3 plugged in at home and come home and drive it?

You would want to turn off 'always connected' and if you have any 3rd party apps that look at data for your car regularly (www.TeslaFI.COM, etc) then use their options to allow your car to go into a deep sleep.

Haha, the problem is there are so many apps to look at and track cool data that some cars only go into sleep mode and not DEEP sleep mode.

None of this matters if you are plugged in in your garage but if you leave your car at the airport you should let it DEEP sleep and not check the battery regularly (waking it up).

Image
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

mtndrew1
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:My Volts, Soul EV, and Leaf all have literally zero vampire drain. I’ve always been a little perturbed that Teslas have any whatsoever. But so it is.


I guess if you disconnect the 12v battery on the LEAF....


I’ve left my Leaf parked for several weeks unplugged while abroad and returned to the airport with the exact same battery percentage.

Maybe my car is an anomaly but I’ve experienced literally zero vampire drain.

I’ll contrast to my Model 3 when it arrives. I expect the Tesla to burn up at least a few miles per day.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

palmermd
Posts: 2504
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am

scottf200 wrote:
palmermd wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Yes it was fixed unlike the LEAF. Also be careful what you read, many of these "failures" falsely stated and the I doubt an owner can diagnose a drive failure. But keep trolling the Tesla forum for FUD to post here. Perhaps you can post some of the LEAf and other EV or car maker issues as well. Make a chart, I know who will come out on top.


Can i take a 10 day vacation and leave my Model 3 plugged in at home and come home and drive it?

You would want to turn off 'always connected' and if you have any 3rd party apps that look at data for your car regularly (http://www.TeslaFI.COM, etc) then use their options to allow your car to go into a deep sleep.

Haha, the problem is there are so many apps to look at and track cool data that some cars only go into sleep mode and not DEEP sleep mode.

None of this matters if you are plugged in in your garage but if you leave your car at the airport you should let it DEEP sleep and not check the battery regularly (waking it up).

Image


I think most everyone missed the point of my response as it relates to EVdrivers post. Both Tesla and Nissan had a problem with the 12v battery on an unattended car for long periods. Tesla sent OTA updates to the car and resolved the problem. My 7 year old leaf continues to do the same thing even after getting 3 or 4 updates that required me to take the car to the dealer. If i leave my car sitting while going on vacation, I can expect to return to a dead car every time.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996


First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

scottf200
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

palmermd wrote:
scottf200 wrote:
palmermd wrote:
Can i take a 10 day vacation and leave my Model 3 plugged in at home and come home and drive it?

You would want to turn off 'always connected' and if you have any 3rd party apps that look at data for your car regularly (http://www.TeslaFI.COM, etc) then use their options to allow your car to go into a deep sleep.

Haha, the problem is there are so many apps to look at and track cool data that some cars only go into sleep mode and not DEEP sleep mode.

None of this matters if you are plugged in in your garage but if you leave your car at the airport you should let it DEEP sleep and not check the battery regularly (waking it up).

Image


I think most everyone missed the point of my response as it relates to EVdrivers post. Both Tesla and Nissan had a problem with the 12v battery on an unattended car for long periods. Tesla sent OTA updates to the car and resolved the problem. My 7 year old leaf continues to do the same thing even after getting 3 or 4 updates that required me to take the car to the dealer. If i leave my car sitting while going on vacation, I can expect to return to a dead car every time.

Thanks for clarifying. Wow, I did not know there was still an on-going issue with the LEAF and 12v battery. I've taken our Volt's in for more than one software update. They download to a USB and then plug that in my car as I understand it :) If I had a LEAF with that issue I'd put it on a trickle charger.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6472
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 am

M3 firmware is getting many updates but these go in stages not to all users each time as the test control groups. The M3 has a new design for load management and also DC/DC use. Additionally any power management software will be continually updated as well. Unlike the old S that used quite a bit it will end up significantly better, even later S cars had a new DC/DC implementation to help. I would guess that ultimately the 3 should be on par or better than any other EV on the market.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6332
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 am

EVDRIVER wrote:M3 firmware is getting many updates but these go in stages not to all users each time as the test control groups. The M3 has a new design for load management and also DC/DC use. Additionally any power management software will be continually updated as well. Unlike the old S that used quite a bit it will end up significantly better, even later S cars had a new DC/DC implementation to help. I would guess that ultimately the 3 should be on par or better than any other EV on the market.
It's very good to hear that Tesla has focused some effort toward addressing this issue. Management of 12V power consumption has been a real issue for many EVs.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6472
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 am

RegGuheert wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:M3 firmware is getting many updates but these go in stages not to all users each time as the test control groups. The M3 has a new design for load management and also DC/DC use. Additionally any power management software will be continually updated as well. Unlike the old S that used quite a bit it will end up significantly better, even later S cars had a new DC/DC implementation to help. I would guess that ultimately the 3 should be on par or better than any other EV on the market.
It's very good to hear that Tesla has focused some effort toward addressing this issue. Management of 12V power consumption has been a real issue for many EVs.


In later S models they added a small DC/DC inside the pack. The 3 has some pretty radical designs in every area including 100% solid state fuses, etc. The reason so many companies are buying them to tear them apart is for good reason, there is some pretty amazing tech in the car and the safety redundancy is very well done. What few know is that the 3 has many many redundant systems other EVs do not have that add to the cost, it not just a comparison of range, TS size, etc. Safety systems and safety crash design are also some things that are different than other cars. Much of what is well done on Tesla is not know or overshadowed by FUD and anti Tesla hype.

lorenfb
Posts: 1845
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:54 am

A reality check by a typically bullish Tesla writer:

Most people are probably aware of Elon Musk’s punctuality issues by now. After all, the Model 3 is not the first Tesla automobile to arrive late to market. However, this particular vehicle arguably has the future of the entire company riding on it. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people waiting on their Model 3s to arrive. Not to mention the countless millions the company is continuously losing due to the inadequacies of its Model 3 launch.


By estimates prior to a few months ago, Tesla should have been producing at least 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week by now. Moreover, the company should have been producing well-built vehicles, with a low-cost model available, and most importantly at a profit (or at least close to it by now).


Unfortunately, the reality of things appears to be much different. Assuming Bloomberg is accurate in what it’s reporting (I believe for the most part that the reporting is accurate), Tesla is producing a mere 655 Model 3s per week right now. This is far fewer than the 1,052 vehicles per week the company was producing a few weeks ago when I wrote my last Tesla article. Furthermore, this is fewer than the figure Tesla cited at the end of Q4, when the company claimed production capacity neared 1K vehicles per week in the last weeks of the year. This was two and a half months ago, not exactly the production curve I was looking for.


https://seekingalpha.com/article/415556 ... of=44&dr=1
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 70K miles, 49 Ahrs, 5.1 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6472
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:34 am

lorenfb wrote:A reality check by a typically bullish Tesla writer:

Most people are probably aware of Elon Musk’s punctuality issues by now. After all, the Model 3 is not the first Tesla automobile to arrive late to market. However, this particular vehicle arguably has the future of the entire company riding on it. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people waiting on their Model 3s to arrive. Not to mention the countless millions the company is continuously losing due to the inadequacies of its Model 3 launch.


By estimates prior to a few months ago, Tesla should have been producing at least 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week by now. Moreover, the company should have been producing well-built vehicles, with a low-cost model available, and most importantly at a profit (or at least close to it by now).


Unfortunately, the reality of things appears to be much different. Assuming Bloomberg is accurate in what it’s reporting (I believe for the most part that the reporting is accurate), Tesla is producing a mere 655 Model 3s per week right now. This is far fewer than the 1,052 vehicles per week the company was producing a few weeks ago when I wrote my last Tesla article. Furthermore, this is fewer than the figure Tesla cited at the end of Q4, when the company claimed production capacity neared 1K vehicles per week in the last weeks of the year. This was two and a half months ago, not exactly the production curve I was looking for.


https://seekingalpha.com/article/415556 ... of=44&dr=1


Thank you for your well thought out post and for being such a valuable aggregator of fine information here, we value your contributions that have helped so many of us blind sheeple. You are practically as much of a savior as your sources and we never get tired of such welcome information! Keep up the good work...

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10084
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Official Tesla Model 3 thread

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 am

Dear lorenb and Ed,


You’ll be happy to know that I had to take my Model 3 (#2292) to the Tesla Service Center, after 2 months and 6000 miles. After reading posts by the both of you, I was sure it would be a horrific experience, that would cost me a lot of money, and take a lot of time (if Tesla was still in business).

I arrived unannounced at the Tesla Service Center at 6:45am. Nobody would help me! They just locked the doors to keep me out. GM or VW would never do this, as I’m sure they are open 24/7. You guys know that.

When they did finally feel like opening the doors, I was ready to pounce, knowing that they might try to weasel out from fixing my car.

I told them the first problem... the Over-The-Air software update had a failure message. GM and VW cars never fail with OTA updates... you guys know that. They agreed to manually update the software, but I knew that this was a ploy to hide all the REAL problems with the car, that I’ve learned about here from you both.

Then I told them about the right front window hesitating when going up or down. I knew this could be a precursor to the door physically falling off the car. GM and VW cars have never had a window fail... you two both know that.

Anyhoo, ten minutes later, they told me that the software was successfully uploaded (and I got a notification on my smart phone from the Tesla app). Obviously, we know that’s a lie, am I right? Plus, they found that the window regulator may have an issue, so they ordered a new one. What?? The part isn’t in stock? All GM and VW parts are always in stock... you both know that.

Anyhoo, I’m so, so disappointed. They wasted 10-15 minutes of my day, didn’t have all the parts, weren’t even open when I got there, and had the NERVE to ask if I had an appointment (I didn’t).

I’m going to trade in my 310 mile range Tesla for a GM Bolt EV or VW eGolf , so that these issues NEVER happen again.

Thanks for all that you both do.

Hugs and kisses,

Tony.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”