EVDRIVER wrote: lorenfb wrote:
I’m old enough to remember when he swore up and down Tesla wouldn’t sell 100k cars a year and couldn’t possibly do any firmware updates beyond infotainment and such because he owns an oscilloscope and definitely knows how these things work.
He’s best ignored.
Your links to the above and specific ECUs (modules) that Tesla has used OTAs to do a complete
firmware update or just minor
coding tweaks are? It's highly doubtful you have any concept/understanding of what a firmware update
to a vehicle ECU really is.
Anything other than an ad hominem to post?
They can flash the firmware
at the component level, not just coding tweaks. Stop with your old OEM part supplier mentality and constant Tesla trolling which is 95% the reason you come to this site.
OK, let's start with a very basic automotive controller (ECU), an ABS/Traction control unit.
1. Who's the Tesla vendor for the ECU? Surely Telsa doesn't waste engineering resources designing that generic type of
an automotive ECU, right?
2. Whose microcontroller (processor) is being used in the ECU, e.g. STMicro? Are there multiple processors being used,
e.g. for redundancy/backup?
3. What is the word width of the processors, e.g. 32/64 bit?
4. Who has control of the source code? Can Tesla change the source code?
5. Does Tesla have a complete description of the algorithm being for the braking system? Does the design include
a Fast Fourier processor, e.g. Texas Inst, to analyze analog data, e.g. wheel speeds? Can that unique algorithm be changed?
6. Does Tesla have a compiler for the source code?
7. Does the Tesla MCU receive the OTA re-flash file and control the re-flash process? Please describe in detail.
8. Is there a buffer memory in each ECU to store the re-flash file to avoid data transfer problems over the Tesla CAN network
while the re-flash process occurs? Does the ECU have a dedicated processor within the ECU to control the re-flash process?
9. What's the typical re-flash time per ECU?
10. Is the re-flash file stored after the OTA process to be used by the ECU when the vehicle is in the shut-down mode? If so, where is
the re-flash file stored?
Hopefully, you understand the above, right? You can always ask Elon for the answers, surely he knows the details of the OTA process.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F (35C), min discharge (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 25%, temp < 105F