paulgipe
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:54 am

As in all things EV it is always, "except for Tesla."

Since I don't have a Tesla "yet" it remains that there are no DCFC stations in Montana, "except for Tesla's superchargers." ;)

Saw a good mix of Tesla's, including a Model 3, BMW i3 and an old Leaf as well as Bolts on the streets of trendy Silverlake in LA Sunday.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

GRA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm

An extract from Edmonds' April Bolt Long-term test report:

Comfort

"Our Bolt rides much better than the Model 3. I spent the past weekend driving the Model 3 so it was fresh in my mind. Where the Model 3 is harsh over bumps, the Bolt feels more comfortable and composed." — Ron Montoya, senior consumer advice editor

Interior
"Have I mentioned the Bolt's light gray dashboard? If not, I am. It's too light in color. This is a problem because sunlight (or even a gas station's bright overhead light at night) creates a reflection of the dashboard on the inside of the windshield. This completely washes out the view forward and it's why dashboards are, or should always be, black. GM has only been making cars for 110 years so we'll cut them some slack for not knowing this." — Jason Kavanagh, senior road test engineer

One of Edmonds' tester's comments in their April Bolt Long-term test report:
"It's Friday afternoon at 4:45 p.m. and I'm merging onto the freeway. I'm not alone. This 40-mile commute home will ultimately suck two-and-a-half hours of life from me, but it's going to earn me some EV street cred. Everybody needs that. I left our parking garage with the Bolt's meter showing 271 miles of range. When I pulled into my driveway, it still showed 271 miles. Thank you to regenerative braking, everyone on the 405 freeway and the Academy for making this accomplishment possible. I've lost my mind." — Mike Schmidt

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/bolt- ... -2018.html

More re seats, good and bad from the May report:
Comfort

"Everyone knows that L.A. traffic is absolutely terrible, and Interstate 405 during rush hour adds an entirely new dimension to the torture. After moving and having to extend my commute as a result, I have been on the hunt for ways to make the hour-and-a-half-plus drive more enjoyable, if not simply less painful.

"The Bolt has been my knight in shining armor. Thanks to its stellar range I can commute back and forth for nearly a week (yeah, it's only 20 miles each way) before needing to charge. I also get the bonus of the HOV lane (TOTAL WIN) and I can one-pedal it the whole way (yay for L mode). While others have complained about the seats in the car, I find them comfortable enough for long periods of sitting in traffic. The technical interface is easy enough to use. My Android phone pairs seamlessly, and the audio system is just fine for those moments when I need to drown out the drone of idling engines. The Bolt is definitely my commuter of choice at the moment." — Abigail Bassett, senior director, video & photo

"I've been avoiding our Bolt because I hated the seats so much, but I thought I'd give it another chance. Which was a mistake. The seats are worse now because they've been wearing out. The seatback is still too hard and feels concave where the lumbar support should be. It then drops back right at my shoulder blades so I have no support above that. But now that the seat cushion is all messed up, I can feel the plastic bits around the edge much more. It's stupidly uncomfortable for me and I hate it." — Will Kaufman, associate staff writer

Note, leather seats. Owners' comments are similarly split on the seats, and FWIW, as noted upthread I found the cloth seats in the LT I test drove to be fine, but I also seem to have the body type/weight that makes that more likely.
Last edited by GRA on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 pm

GRA wrote:An extract from Edmonds' April Bolt Long-term test report: ...

At 13k and 12 months driving our Premier with Light Ash/Ceramic interior, comments mostly agree with experience. Although I don’t remember the TM3 ride as harsh, the Bolt is definitely firm, and no treat on jagged slab freeway sections. The HO6 interior dash glare will be too much for many, and as mentioned ad nauseam, the seats aren’t for everyone either. Perspective buyers should pay attention to these items, but I would order the Bolt the same way again in a heartbeat.
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > Tesla Model 3 (Reservation) :?:

EVDRIVER

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Comparing the Bolt ride to a M3 is nonsense. There are not the same category of performance. Additionally the M3 suspension has been changed depending on the version of the car they tested but still a silly comparison. In fact they are very different EVs is every regard.
Forum Moderator

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Comparing the Bolt ride to a M3 is nonsense. There are not the same category of performance. Additionally the M3 suspension has been changed depending on the version of the car they tested but still a silly comparison. In fact they are very different EVs is every regard.

The comparison is at least partially valid. The Bolt and TM3 are both supposed to be 'entry level' cars with excellent performance. Neither car rides especially well from what I've seen and experienced, and both have strong acceleration and cornering. I'm not sure what exactly is upsetting you, but I don't see anything misleading.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 am

After driving my Bolt with the light interior for 8 months, I can say hands-down that I have noticed glare on the window fewer than half a dozen drives. And it was never so bad - even in the most direct sunlight - that I had any issue with visibility. I think I only noticed it because the salesman tried to talk me out of the color. He said the glare would be unbearable. I am very glad I have the lighter interior, though - I just love the way it works.

Not disparaging anyone else's opinions or experience, just sharing my own.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

EVDRIVER

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Comparing the Bolt ride to a M3 is nonsense. There are not the same category of performance. Additionally the M3 suspension has been changed depending on the version of the car they tested but still a silly comparison. In fact they are very different EVs is every regard.

The comparison is at least partially valid. The Bolt and TM3 are both supposed to be 'entry level' cars with excellent performance. Neither car rides especially well from what I've seen and experienced, and both have strong acceleration and cornering. I'm not sure what exactly is upsetting you, but I don't see anything misleading.

Not upsetting, it's like comparing a Camary sport to a BMW. The handing and 0-60 are not comparable there are in different classes and one expects a true sort sedan to be relatively stiffer than a car in a different class. Besides, the stiff suspension is also a by product of weight and these cars are not comparable there either. Being an EV and being the same price is not how cars should be compared as the same class of car just the same price range. It's just a silly comment like saying a Camary rides softer than a BMW, it should.
Forum Moderator

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Assuming you mean "Camry" then that's true enough. The Bolt, however, is not marketed as a soft riding family car, so your own comparison suffers. A single motor Model 3 is in the same class as the Bolt when it comes to acceleration, and just putting better tires on the Bolt would make it competitive with the Model 3 in handling. Not equal, but not a lot worse.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:After driving my Bolt with the light interior for 8 months, I can say hands-down that I have noticed glare on the window fewer than half a dozen drives. And it was never so bad - even in the most direct sunlight - that I had any issue with visibility. I think I only noticed it because the salesman tried to talk me out of the color. He said the glare would be unbearable. I am very glad I have the lighter interior, though - I just love the way it works.

Assuming this isn't just based on natural human variation and you don't normally wear polarized sunglasses while driving, I wonder if where you are is making the difference. It tends to be a lot sunnier in say California, and the sun will also be higher in the sky in summer and lower in winter. Has the glare been worse in one season than another?

Oh, anyone who does find the glare a problem, aftermarket dark-colored dash covers are widely available for under $100.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:36 am

GRA wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:After driving my Bolt with the light interior for 8 months, I can say hands-down that I have noticed glare on the window fewer than half a dozen drives. And it was never so bad - even in the most direct sunlight - that I had any issue with visibility. I think I only noticed it because the salesman tried to talk me out of the color. He said the glare would be unbearable. I am very glad I have the lighter interior, though - I just love the way it works.

Assuming this isn't just based on natural human variation and you don't normally wear polarized sunglasses while driving, I wonder if where you are is making the difference. It tends to be a lot sunnier in say California, and the sun will also be higher in the sky in summer and lower in winter. Has the glare been worse in one season than another?

Oh, anyone who does find the glare a problem, aftermarket dark-colored dash covers are widely available for under $100.

I do not wear polarized sunglasses, although I have blue eyes, which are naturally more photo-sensitive than say brown eyes. I would think that would make me more disposed to notice the glare, not less. But it's certainly a variable.

Yes, it is sunny more often in CA than in upstate NY. In fact, it is overcast a large percentage of the year here. But we have sunny days too, believe it or not. And our sunny days are just as sunny as in CA. On those sunny days, I have never had a problem with too much glare.

The sun certainly is higher in the sky at more southern latitudes and that could be a factor. The glare does seem to be worse in the summer than the winter, which of course is when the sun is higher in the sky. And it's more noticeable at noon than at say 6pm. So maybe you're onto something there.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”