WetEV
Posts: 1727
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Nethack. Bag of Holding. Just be careful with unidentified wands...
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

BrockWI
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 am
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:38 pm

hyperionmark wrote:You clearly don't live in Harry Potter's world. ;)


That was over at Universal and we were at Disney ;)
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

jjeff
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:57 pm

evnow wrote:
BrockWI wrote: The car seemed smaller than I had thought it would be, not sure why, otherwise it seemed (for better or worse) like a Chevy.

I blame it on all those "small on the outside, big on the inside" reviews. Its small on the outside, small on the inside. There is no magical way to make something feel bigger.

Well I'm guessing you've never seen Grimm.......
A small Airstream trailer on the outside......like a small house on the inside :lol:
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 am

evnow wrote:
BrockWI wrote: The car seemed smaller than I had thought it would be, not sure why, otherwise it seemed (for better or worse) like a Chevy.

I blame it on all those "small on the outside, big on the inside" reviews. Its small on the outside, small on the inside. There is no magical way to make something feel bigger.


Sure there is - many cars are large on the outside, but have badly designed insides, so they have less room than the should. The proportion of length to height, also affects the interior volume, and how usable it is.

The Bolt EV has MORE interior volume than a Tesla Model S.

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The Bolt EV has MORE interior volume than a Tesla Model S.
Do you have figures to back that up? I've sat in a Bolt (there are 4 or 5 here at work now) and I can't imagine anyway that it had more volume that the Model S, passenger or cargo. Certainly the full size futon frame+mattress I put in my Model S last week would not have fit in a Bolt.

The best comparison I find is from MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrole ... odel-s-60/
Although the Tesla’s passenger cabin is ever so slightly smaller than the Bolt’s, its front and rear trunks do give it a 9-cubic-foot advantage in cargo capacity.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm

2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

jlv wrote:Do you have figures to back that up? I've sat in a Bolt (there are 4 or 5 here at work now) and I can't imagine anyway that it had more volume that the Model S, passenger or cargo. Certainly the full size futon frame+mattress I put in my Model S last week would not have fit in a Bolt.

The best comparison I find is from MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrole ... odel-s-60/
Although the Tesla’s passenger cabin is ever so slightly smaller than the Bolt’s, its front and rear trunks do give it a 9-cubic-foot advantage in cargo capacity.
I've put a ten foot length of electrical conduit in my S, something that I doubt that I could do with the Bolt. The S is lower and longer for better aero — the low height reduces interior volume a bit — but has the width, length and hatch to carry useful cargo, unlike many other cars. I use it like a truck to carry tools, such as a rock bar, postholer, and shovel when doing street sign work here.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11422
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm

OrientExpress wrote:Chevy Bolt interior volume is 95 cubic feet. http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/bolt-ev/2017.tab1.html

Nissan LEAF 92.4 https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/versions-specs/ (LEAF 2 is rumored to be 96 Cu/Ft.)

Tesla Model S 94 http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-s/specs


Goes to show how useless of a number this is.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11422
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:09 pm

hyperionmark wrote:You clearly don't live in Harry Potter's world. ;)

Nope. Kids are still too small for that - OTOH, I know everything about Peppa Pig & Ben and Holly.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

GRA
Posts: 7221
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:18 pm

evnow wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:Chevy Bolt interior volume is 95 cubic feet. http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/bolt-ev/2017.tab1.html

Nissan LEAF 92.4 https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/versions-specs/ (LEAF 2 is rumored to be 96 Cu/Ft.)

Tesla Model S 94 http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-s/specs


Goes to show how useless of a number this is.

Goes to show that its a single measure, more useful for calculating passenger space (since passengers vary little in their shape, and tend to need height as much as width and length) than cargo space, which varies considerably depending on what needs to be carried. For suitcases or many boxes volume is a good measure. For long but flat cargo, length, width or area is more important. Just depends on your needs or priorities.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”