smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 pm

My perception of the Model S is the interior space (mostly drivers seat) seems cramped compared to the Bolt.
It would appear GM has an edge on ergonomics. Model S seems huge outside and small outside. Bolt is opposite.
JMHO
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:06 pm

It would appear GM has an edge on ergonomics.

Are you referring to the sharp seat edges that cut into so many people's bodies? ;-)
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:
What does height have to do with aerodynamics? Frontal area is frontal area

You do realize that you answered your own question, right Neil? If the Bolt was the same width but not as tall, it would have a smaller frontal area. Of course, a shorter, wider car could have the same frontal area, but that's not what I'm talking about here.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:18 am

smkettner wrote:My perception of the Model S is the interior space (mostly drivers seat) seems cramped compared to the Bolt.
It would appear GM has an edge on ergonomics. Model S seems huge outside and small outside. Bolt is opposite.
JMHO

Having driven 8000+ miles in my Model S, the last thing I would call the interior space (driver's seat or otherwise) is "cramped". When the drivers seat is adjusted for me, not only do I feel like I have lots of space, but the legroom behind me is enormous (2'+ easily). I've often faulted Tesla for designing cars for adult males over 6' tall; I'm 5'6' and my wife is 5'0' and we feel the car's interior is huge.

Having ridden in a Bolt for 15 minutes (only in the front passenger seat), the one thing I would call it is "cramped". I've not driven it nor checked out the rear leg room, but the passenger space does not seem to be anywhere as spacious as the S.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:

You do realize that you answered your own question, right Neil? If the Bolt was the same width but not as tall, it would have a smaller frontal area. Of course, a shorter, wider car could have the same frontal area, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

You stated that height is a problem. That is not accurate - frontal area is the problem. A car that is closer to square (taller and narrower) can have the same frontal area as a wide low car. So, height all by itself has no bearing.

NeilBlanchard

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 am

The backseat of the Model S is less comfortable than the backseat of the Bolt EV. I'm 6'-4" and I hit my head in the back of the Model S, and I fit very well in the backseat of the Bolt EV.

The front seat of the Bolt EV is limited only by the edge of the dash around the screen - it has more front seat room than any other EV, except the i3. The Model S is quite low, and that makes entry and exit awkward. The center console and the screen limit the leg room, making it less comfortable than the Bolt EV.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:09 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:

You stated that height is a problem. That is not accurate - frontal area is the problem. A car that is closer to square (taller and narrower) can have the same frontal area as a wide low car. So, height all by itself has no bearing.

You read more into my post than was written or implied. You are correct that frontal area is the problem, not height by itself. And a shorter Bolt, all else the same, would have less area. It would "feel" less spacious, while still offering the same functionality.

Of course, you could twist my word reductio ad absurdum and say that a 3-foot-tall Bolt wouldn't fit any human, but that's not what I'm saying either.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

GRA

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
GRA wrote:The height certainly adds useful headroom compared to say the Volt or Prime, especially in the back seat

Purely subjective. But fine. There are some use cases where it might be useful.

I wouldn't say it's subjective, merely varies with the human it has to fit. I've sat in the back seat of the Volt 2, and in order to keep the top of my head from touching anything I have to lean it back a bit so it's under the hatch glass (I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam, i.e. all legs, short torso). I wouldn't want to be back there in a crash, especially a rollover. I haven't sat in a Bolt yet, but I don't anticipate any headroom issues with it, and probably no leg-room ones either.

GetOffYourGas wrote:
GRA wrote:Going high rather than long is best for urban environments as it makes finding a space and then parallel parking easier, and also makes loading/unloading cargo in angle-parking spaces safer.

Yes, this much is true. I just get caught in my own disappointment because I don't need an urban car because I don't live or often travel in an urban environment. When I do, the C-Max is a good fit for the same reasons you mention. But more often, my use case is suburban, rural, or highway travel.

Mine too, so lower and a bit longer would be preferable for me as well. The Bolt's 164"L x 70"W x 63"H. My Forester's 175"L x 68"W x 65"H, and while I expect the Bolt has more pax space, most of the Forester's extra length is behind the rear seats, for cargo. I don't want a car that's more than 180" long or with a lot of overhang, as it can make it difficult to turn around on the 1+ lane dirt roads with minimal or no shoulders I'm sometimes on when driving to trailheads, as they get blocked or washed out a lot more often than a paved road would be - narrow width is also advantageous to avoid scraping from greenery or when two opposing cars need to pass. Having to back significant distances to a turnout is something to be avoided.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:00 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The backseat of the Model S is less comfortable than the backseat of the Bolt EV. I'm 6'-4" and I hit my head in the back of the Model S, and I fit very well in the backseat of the Bolt EV.

The front seat of the Bolt EV is limited only by the edge of the dash around the screen - it has more front seat room than any other EV, except the i3. The Model S is quite low, and that makes entry and exit awkward. The center console and the screen limit the leg room, making it less comfortable than the Bolt EV.

Are you sure you're talking about the right cars? Did you sit in a Lincoln Navigator and believe the dealer when he told you it was a Chevy Bolt?

I've sat in both cars. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam. There's absolutely no way I could sit in the back seat of a Bolt - for any length of drive, under any circumstances. I'll admit Chevy nailed it on the front seat as far as leg room, but they missed the mark on butt room. I have a 32 inch waist, and the seat is uncomfortable. I say this not as a "hater". I'll still consider buying a Bolt once they hit the used market. I'll get used to the front seat, and my kids will fit just fine in the back seats.

The Model S is just plenty big. It's a full size sedan.

It sounds as absurd as saying that a Toyota Yaris is more roomy and comfortable than a Toyota Avalon. No way.

NeilBlanchard

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 am

webb14leafs wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:The backseat of the Model S is less comfortable than the backseat of the Bolt EV. I'm 6'-4" and I hit my head in the back of the Model S, and I fit very well in the backseat of the Bolt EV.

Are you sure you're talking about the right cars? Did you sit in a Lincoln Navigator and believe the dealer when he told you it was a Chevy Bolt?

I've sat in both cars. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam. There's absolutely no way I could sit in the back seat of a Bolt - for any length of drive, under any circumstances. I'll admit Chevy nailed it on the front seat as far as leg room, but they missed the mark on butt room. I have a 32 inch waist, and the seat is uncomfortable. I say this not as a "hater". I'll still consider buying a Bolt once they hit the used market. I'll get used to the front seat, and my kids will fit just fine in the back seats.

The Model S is just plenty big. It's a full size sedan.

It sounds as absurd as saying that a Toyota Yaris is more roomy and comfortable than a Toyota Avalon. No way.

My family will be buying a Bolt EV in about a month. I am 6'-4" 227 pounds 36" inseam, and my son is 6'-6" about 250 pounds and also 36" inseam. My brother is almost 6'-7" about 265 pounds, and a 38" inseam - and ALL THREE of us fit at the same time in any seat in the Bolt EV. And yes, a fourth person could also fit.

My spouse has knee problems, and she is very comfortable in the Bolt. The backseat of the Leaf is quite uncomfortable for us, because the seat is too low to the floor. We fit much better in our e-Golf.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”