DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 pm

arnis wrote:Did anybody mention that Bolt actually has 57kWh pack?


and how did you come to this conclusion?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1839
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
arnis wrote:Did anybody mention that Bolt actually has 57kWh pack?


and how did you come to this conclusion?


A reference to this perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3G8JGsEjPA&feature=youtu.be
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Several Bolters have come to the conclusion that the "usable" charge is 60 kwh based on charging/usage stats.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1839
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:24 pm

GRA wrote:Like many Californians my age I've been interested/involved in environmental issues since the Santa Barbara blowout in 1969, and energy security since Desert Shield, which was when I got seriously involved in designing and selling off-grid (PV/Wind/microhydro) systems. If I weren't interested in environmental or energy security issues, do you think I'd have done that or be:

Living in a small (ca. 325 sq. ft.) downtown studio within walking distance of my routine errands and do my local travel by bicycle and regional by electrified mass transit, or years ago decided to put off taking any more out of state road trips or flying anywhere until I can do so in a ZEV or at least using sustainably produced biofuels, instead of:

living in a large multi-bedroom house filled with lots of energy-sucking appliances and crap I don't need, having kids and driving everywhere, and flying frequently?


No, Guy. I'm talking about your interest in an EV. At least I assume you are interested, since you are very active on this forum. All of your lifestyle choices are to be commended. I *try* to a degree, but nothing like you have done, and I applaud you for it.

No, I was talking about EVs. That they meet your transportation *requirements* is a given. That they meet them as well as your ICEV does and do so at a lower cost (purchase and fuel/maintenance) is where the rest of your argument breaks down. You want an EV for cheaper transportation, and that's all. You don't want to sacrifice anything in the process Not that there's anything wrong with that - plenty of people feel that way. And when the EVs get to that point, we will see a huge spike in adoption.

As for seeing having children as an "undue" stress on the environment, let's just say that we don't see eye-to-eye there. I'm glad that your parents didn't feel that way, too.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

arnis
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896
Location: Estonia, Europe

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:06 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
arnis wrote:Did anybody mention that Bolt actually has 57kWh pack?


and how did you come to this conclusion?


A reference to this perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3G8JGsEjPA&feature=youtu.be


Correct. There is a sticker on the pack. It's 57kWh.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 pm

arnis wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
and how did you come to this conclusion?


A reference to this perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3G8JGsEjPA&feature=youtu.be


Correct. There is a sticker on the pack. It's 57kWh.

got a time stamp for that?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
arnis wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:A reference to this perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3G8JGsEjPA&feature=youtu.be

Correct. There is a sticker on the pack. It's 57kWh.

got a time stamp for that?
Interestingly, at about 17:00 in the video he states that this is a "second-design battery" for the Bolt. I wonder if the "first-design battery" might have had a different capacity.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13071
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
arnis wrote:Correct. There is a sticker on the pack. It's 57kWh.

got a time stamp for that?
Interestingly, at about 17:00 in the video he states that this is a "second-design battery" for the Bolt. I wonder if the "first-design battery" might have had a different capacity.


:shock: Oh wouldn't that by typical GM when 2018 owners start comparing notes with 2017 owners to find out their capacities are not the same! 8-)
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun
Posts: 5221
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm

arnis wrote:...There is a sticker on the pack. It's 57kWh.

The "Rated energy" (label seen at 27 minutes into the video) is likely the rated available capacity in kWh, not total battery pack capacity.

I believe all the other Korean manufactured packs have been rated this way.

In the Bolts EPA certification for 2017 MY, following the full-discharge range tests:

...Recharge Event Energy (kiloWatt-hours) 67.4206...

...Recharge Event Energy (kiloWatt-hours) 66.508...

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_ ... 567&flag=1

The indicated approximately 85% cycling efficiency (~57 kWh available/-67 kWh accepted) actually sounds like it could be too low, and suggests the Bolt used in the EPA tests could have had slightly above that 57 kWh rated capacity, and likely had somewhere in the mid 60's in total kWh capacity.
no condition is permanent

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10074
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Data based on GM’s EPA filings:

Bolt EV

LG-Chem cells
3.7 volts nominal
288 total cells
96 series * 3 parallel
171.4ah per EPA filing

60kWh = 288 cells * (171.4 published AmpHour * 3.7 volt nominal per cell)

400 volt maximum (plus or minus 5 volts)

57-58kWh usable when new at room temperature

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”