GRA
Posts: 8837
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Did they ever replace the glare shield with a dark-colored one that doesn't reflect onto the windshield? I don't remember there being a problem when I test drove one back in February on a sunny day, but don't recall the color. Not that it's tough to come up with a DIY fix for that. At least for me, the cloth seat in the LT I drove wasn't a problem, but my body type and weight are such that I expected I'd be unlikely to have an issue.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 pm

GRA wrote:Did they ever replace the glare shield with a dark-colored one that doesn't reflect onto the windshield? I don't remember there being a problem when I test drove one back in February on a sunny day, but don't recall the color. Not that it's tough to come up with a DIY fix for that. At least for me, the cloth seat in the LT I drove wasn't a problem, but my body type and weight are such that I expected I'd be unlikely to have an issue.

The (HO6) "Light Ash Gray / Ceramic White" interior (light color dash) is only available on the Premier, and is not commonly ordered for dealer stock. Either "Dark Galvanized Gray" interior has the darker color dashboard.
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > Tesla Model 3 (Reservation) :?:

Evoforce
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:18 am

ElectricEddy wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
gmcjetpilot wrote:I just parked next to a Bolt today at chsrging station, and I was pretty impressed. Lady who bought it drove it from St.Louis to Memphis, basically in one charge. My Leaf can barely make it to the next town over, round trip.

Why is everyone arguing about the Bolt battery pack size. 57 or 60, it's well over double the Nissan Leaf, which is only 24KAh. The Nissan Leaf batteries tend to not last very long. I wonder how the Chevy Bolt battery will do longevity wise. She paid less than $28k wirh Fed tax refund. I paid $12k four used 2015. I'll keep my eye out on a used bolt when they come available in a couple years. I would love that more range I don't really need it to commute, but man it would come in handy. I could probably get rid of my second car, diesel vw.


Bolt 20 kwh bigger than LEAF. 57 kwh usable verses 38.5 kwh usable. Definitely a notch higher. Too bad Chevy couldn't have handled their lease options better.

^^^ and their seats


My son has a bolt and has no problem with the seats. I have ridden it many times and the seats are no problem. The seat "issue" is blown out of proportion. Unless (unlikely) they are making these cars differently, I don't understand why most people would. There are always a few exceptions...
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9050
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:24 am

My son has a Bolt and has no problem with the seats. I have ridden it many times and the seats are no problem. The seat "issue" is blown out of proportion. Unless (unlikely) they are making these cars differently, I don't understand why most people would. There are always a few exceptions...


I've been following this issue as I've considered leasing a Bolt. The seat problem has too or even three components:

* Seat design. The seats are too narrow for larger people who are used to seats that fit them. This is present in all the cars, but doesn't affect all people.

* Seat production defects. The padding in many - but NOT all - of the seats is inadequate. Since the padding is preformed, it's apparently a problem with some of the padding units being either too thin or too soft. Some of the seats have the wrong size (too long) bolt in a critical spot right under the padding where the driver's left thigh rests. Or they may all have it, but it only impinges on the thigh in seats where to padding is also inadequate - I'm not clear on that.

I sat in two Bolts last Winter. Neither had immediately perceptible padding issues (although my left thigh was less comfortable in one of them), but then it often only becomes a problem on longer drives, which I didn't take. Both of the seats felt too narrow for me to be truly comfortable. Lots of people get a Bolt that they find to be perfectly comfortable. Quite a few (like me) find the Bolt to be noticeably less comfortable than the Leaf and similar EVs, and a few people just can't stand to sit in their seats for longer than 10 minutes.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

scottf200
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
My son has a Bolt and has no problem with the seats. I have ridden it many times and the seats are no problem. The seat "issue" is blown out of proportion. Unless (unlikely) they are making these cars differently, I don't understand why most people would. There are always a few exceptions...


I've been following this issue as I've considered leasing a Bolt. The seat problem has too or even three components:

* Seat design. The seats are too narrow for larger people who are used to seats that fit them. This is present in all the cars, but doesn't affect all people.

* Seat production defects. The padding in many - but NOT all - of the seats is inadequate. Since the padding is preformed, it's apparently a problem with some of the padding units being either too thin or too soft. Some of the seats have the wrong size (too long) bolt in a critical spot right under the padding where the driver's left thigh rests. Or they may all have it, but it only impinges on the thigh in seats where to padding is also inadequate - I'm not clear on that.

I sat in two Bolts last Winter. Neither had immediately perceptible padding issues (although my left thigh was less comfortable in one of them), but then it often only becomes a problem on longer drives, which I didn't take. Both of the seats felt too narrow for me to be truly comfortable. Lots of people get a Bolt that they find to be perfectly comfortable. Quite a few (like me) find the Bolt to be noticeably less comfortable than the Leaf and similar EVs, and a few people just can't stand to sit in their seats for longer than 10 minutes.


Title: Bolt EV seat padding mods
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... dding-mods
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used'| RIP '16 P90DL Sig | 2011 Volt kid2 | 2016 for wife | 2012 kid1

DanCar
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 am

Most American car seats are 21 inches wide. The Bolt's seats are 19 inches wide.

jjeff
Posts: 1689
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:49 pm

DanCar wrote:Most American car seats are 21 inches wide. The Bolt's seats are 19 inches wide.

And most Americans are......well, on the wider side :)
Why Chevrolet would make seats not designed for the majority of people :?
I've sat in a Bolt, instantly scratched it off my list :( Not only because of the hard uncomfortable seats but the asinine cockpit design :roll:
Too bad as on paper it could easily have been my next vehicle.
And I have no problem squeezing into my 3+ decade old X-19 ;) a much smaller vehicle with more driver room than the Bolt! Of course I don't much care for how low to the ground it is, the Bolt is better in that respect :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

DanCar
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:04 pm

jjeff wrote:
DanCar wrote:Most American car seats are 21 inches wide. The Bolt's seats are 19 inches wide.

And most Americans are......well, on the wider side :)
Why Chevrolet would make seats not designed for the majority of people :?

GM said much of the design was done in Korea. So it looks like it was designed for Korean average posteriors. :P

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 pm

The United States has the greatest percentage of individuals that fit the definition of obese, so most manufacturers make the front seat cushions larger than for other markets.

The Bolt is based on the Gamma platform which is primarily used in Europe and Asia which is why it has a tall greenhouse and narrow width.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt - 60 kWh, 238 mi, < 7s 0-60

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm

DanCar wrote:GM said much of the design was done in Korea. So it looks like it was designed for Korean average posteriors. :P


"Bolt EV’s front seats were designed in house by GM." Bolt EV seat design cuts weight, delights taller passengers - http://articles.sae.org/14913/
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > Tesla Model 3 (Reservation) :?:

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”