GRA

Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 27 EV miles, on sale later 2015

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:22 pm

In case there isn't already one: http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/ ... tric-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GRA on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

drees

Re: Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 22 EV miles, on sale later 2015

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:26 am

I tweaked the subject of the thread - some quick facts on the Sonata PHEV:

• On sale later this year
  • 22 EV miles
  • 50 kW motor
  • 2 1/2 hour L2 recharge time
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 am

Given that Hyundai/Kia had to pay a huge fine recently for exaggerating fuel economy numbers, I wonder if the range number is similarly optimistic...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:37 am

Only available in compliance states. Battery much better laid out then Ford's plug ins. You can see it at end of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1_DbztKEo

GRA

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri May 22, 2015 6:35 am

An updated article...

http://www.hybridcars.com/2016-hyundai- ... benchmark/

Now they are quoting 24 mile AER and the author said they got 28 on their test drive. GM better watch out, these guys are closing the gap with the Volt with a substantially roomier vehicle.

U.S. EPA fuel numbers are not in yet, but Hyundai estimates 24 miles range and this we exceeded by over four miles without difficulty on the road this week. Other information about our drive in Southern California is “embargoed” by Hyundai, but this data point we were granted permission to publish ahead of a media blackout on drive impressions in effect until next Tuesday.

Our all-electric suburban trip of 28.4 miles with HVAC on and up to 55 mph at brief points split the gap between the highest-rated blended PHEV, the 19-mile-rated Ford Fusion Energi, and the first-generation 38-mile extended-range Chevy Volt. In speaking with another publication’s driver, he got over 27 miles on the same course, so we don’t believe this was a fluke.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Fri May 22, 2015 6:51 am

It was at the Detroit show and I fell in love with it! The interior was really nice, felt very well built and was planned out well. The trunk was very usable for a plug in and trumps the fusion. That had been my previous favourite electric and would have bought one over my old ICE optima if the trunk had been big enough. Still not enough AER for me but for someone who does less than what's quoted I think it's nicer than any of the other choices and much roomier than the volt!!! Although no one got to sit in the new volt at the show.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 am

minispeed wrote:Still not enough AER for me but for someone who does less than what's quoted I think it's nicer than any of the other choices and much roomier than the volt!!!

I agree GM is more in tune with the minimum AER people will find useful and satisfying, but they really should be smarter when it comes to the size and form factor of the car just by looking at their own market segment stats.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
minispeed wrote:Still not enough AER for me but for someone who does less than what's quoted I think it's nicer than any of the other choices and much roomier than the volt!!!

I agree GM is more in tune with the minimum AER people will find useful and satisfying, but they really should be smarter when it comes to the size and form factor of the car just by looking at their own market segment stats.

Well the old volt wasn't even enough for me, the new one is close. I need 55 miles cold. I could live with just 5 miles of ICE driving everyday though.

The auto market is way too complex to single out one thing though. The volt was too small for me in the back seat and many buyers say they passed because of only 4 seats. If I was willing to drive 17 ICE miles a day in a volt I would prefer to drive 30ish in the Sonata since it would serve the family better. If they gave the Sonata more batteries and thus had a trunk the size of the fusion it might go the same AER as the volt but then I'd buy a volt because I need more trunk space and I'd live with the smaller back seat.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

GRA

Fri May 22, 2015 4:39 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:

There's a variety of minimum AERs that are 'useful and satisfying'. I'd say that the PiP's six miles continuous (with care) is too short to be useful for most people, but I believe that 20-25 miles is a good minimum, as it can be fully charged overnight on L1, which is all most renters have, will cover a considerable % of commutes, and at least allow most if not all urban and stop-and-go driving to be electric, which is where the best efficiency and most pollution reductions are. Given workplace L1 also, it will cover 80% or so.

The primary need to make PHEVs (and BEVs) mainstream is to get the prices down, and the way to do that at the moment is with the smallest battery that large numbers of people find useful. This also boosts the range when running on the ICE, and shouldn't encroach on interior room much if at all, if done right (i.e. like VW, not the Energis). The ability to use a standard platform with a variety of power trains will also help cut the costs.
Last edited by GRA on Sat May 23, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”