gsleaf
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012

Re: Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 22 EV miles, on sale later 2015

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:51 am

On paper the Sonata looks great. How does Hyundai do in terms of safety? I'd probably get a Volt but it's just too small. The Sonata is a really nice size.

GRA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:19 pm

Via ievs:
Hyundai Sonata PHEV Gets Up To 27 Miles Of Electric Range, According To EPA
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-sonata-phe ... rding-epa/

In terms of maximum electric range, the Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid is quite the over-achiever.

When Hyundai first announced the Sonata PHEV, the automaker listed its electric range at up to 22 miles. A few months later, Hyundai revised that figure to up to 24 miles. Now, with official EPA testing complete, the maximum electric range, from its 9.8 kWh LG Chem battery pack with a lifetime warranty, is listed at 27 miles. . . .

Its composite MPG figures are as follows:

57 city
60 highway
59 combined

Additionally, the Sonata PHEV has an impressive total range of 600 miles, a figure that beats all other plug-in hybrids available in the U.S. for 2016. . . .

Similar article plus video at ABG:
Hyundai Sonata PHEV will go 27 miles on electric power
99 MPGe Figure Is Also Better Than Forecast
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/07/hyun ... ric-range/

I've updated the thread title to reflect the higher EPA range.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 pm

GRA wrote:The primary need to make PHEVs (and BEVs) mainstream is to get the prices down, and the way to do that at the moment is with the smallest battery that large numbers of people find useful.

Marginal price per extra kWh until 16 kWh is almost zero (if not -ve). It makes sense to put in 16 kWh battery because of this.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

GRA

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:33 pm

evnow wrote:
GRA wrote:The primary need to make PHEVs (and BEVs) mainstream is to get the prices down, and the way to do that at the moment is with the smallest battery that large numbers of people find useful.

Marginal price per extra kWh until 16 kWh is almost zero (if not -ve). It makes sense to put in 16 kWh battery because of this.

Only if said battery doesn't seriously cramp cargo/passenger space, or limit the car in other ways. I'm really interested to see how Hyundai prices this car. At $32k it'd be okay, but if they can get it down to say $29k or less, that would be quite a deal.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:35 pm

GRA wrote:Only if said battery doesn't seriously cramp cargo/passenger space, or limit the car in other ways.

Right - so it is not about the cheapest battery.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

GRA

Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:19 pm

evnow wrote:
GRA wrote:Only if said battery doesn't seriously cramp cargo/passenger space, or limit the car in other ways.

Right - so it is not about the cheapest battery.

Uh huh, I would formulate it as "the cheapest battery that doesn't limit cargo/pax space or seriously reduce CS mpg while providing 20-30 miles AER EPA, which can be filled in 8 hours or less of L1, which will last at least a decade if not the life of the car, and which is in a car with a base MSRP under $30k." People who want/need more AER can buy a Volt. More AER is good, but to get the cars mainstream the unsubsidized price has to come down, first to $30k, and then to $25K and ultimately $20k. 20 miles AER should cover at least 50% of trips, and include all urban and freeway stop-and-go miles for almost everyone. Add L1 or better charging at both ends, and you're talking about 75-78% of trips.

In essence, the Sonata is the half-battery 2nd Gen. Volt that I wish GM had offered in addition to the full battery one.

GRA

Re: Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 27 EV miles, on sale later 2015

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Via GCC:
2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid coming to market with EPA-estimated 27-mile electric range; starts at $34,600
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/11 ... aphev.html

Which IMO is too expensive by at least a couple of grand, with the high end Limited model starting at $38,600. The Fusion Energi SE Limited (base model) lists for $33,900, and the Titanium for $35,730. Hyundai needs to offer 5 passengers like the Fusion plus more for less, and I have my doubts that 8 miles of AER plus some more trunk space is enough to justify the Sonata's higher price over the Fusion, although I haven't compared what's offered standard with each trim package.

GRA

Re: Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 27 EV miles, on sale later 2015

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Been quite a while since there was any news about these, and sales have been blah. Via GCC:
Hyundai lowers entry price, bumps all-electric range on new 2018 Sonata Plug-In Hybrid
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/07/20180719-hyundai.html

The new PHEV model adopts the same distinctive design of the recently released Sonata gasoline and Hybrid models while delivering 28 miles (45 km) of all-electric range (vs. 27 miles in the outgoing model). The starting price for the 2018 Sonata Hybrid Plug-In is $33,250, a $1,350 reduction from the 2017 model.

The price of Sonata Plug-in Hybrid Limited model increases by $250, but now comes with all these new features:

Automatic Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection
    LED Headlights with Dynamic Bending Light
    Lane Keep Assist
    Driver Attention Alert
    Heated steering wheel
    Wireless charging pad for Qi-compatible devices
    Second row USB port
The vehicle qualifies for a $4,919 Federal Tax Credit along with other state-level incentives. The 2018 Sonata Plug-In Hybrid is available now at Hyundai dealerships.

The 2018 Sonata Plug-in Hybrid’s efficient 2.0L GDI 4-cylinder Atkinson Cycle engine and the 50 kW (67 HP) electric motor are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission for a more familiar and natural operation feel. . . .

The 9.8 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery system is more than five times larger than the Sonata Hybrid’s battery and can be charged using a 240V Level 2 charging station in two hours and 42 minutes. Sonata Plug-in Hybrid’s battery can also be charged overnight using the Level 1 charger equipped with the vehicle. . . .

The Sonata Plug-In Hybrid’s interior has also been updated with a revised center stack area and instrument cluster that provides an improved sense of dimension while the steering wheel now has a sportier leather-wrapped three-spoke design.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”