ishiyakazuo
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2015

Re: Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 22 EV miles, on sale later 2015

Fri May 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah, I must say that this is appealing for me, having just come from a Sonata, which I liked quite a bit. The two drawbacks for me are (a) I just bought the LEAF and (b) it's not for sale in Illinois :( Also (c) I don't have anywhere to plug in at work, so my 20 mile commute one-way would mean going back to gas on the return trip. But of course, (c) can change with time.
2012 LEAF SL in Cayenne Red
40 mile R/T commute in Chicagoland
Leaf Spy Lite (June 2015, 22513 miles): AHr = 56.86, SOH = 86%, 393.13V, Hx = 73.55%, 924 L1/L2s, min/avg/max = 4.080 4.097 4.109 (29mV)

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri May 22, 2015 6:41 pm

There's a variety of minimum AERs that are 'useful and satisfying'. I'd say that the PiP's six miles continuous (with care) is too short to be useful for most people, but I believe that 20-25 miles is a good minimum...

The PIP can easily get 10+ miles "continuous" AER, with no particular "care" except not literally flooring it. I'm not sure why people don't just note that its actual AER of about 15 miles Summer, 10 miles Winter (with heat off), isn't enough, instead of misrepresenting it...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Sat May 23, 2015 5:43 am

ishiyakazuo wrote:Yeah, I must say that this is appealing for me, having just come from a Sonata, which I liked quite a bit. The two drawbacks for me are (a) I just bought the LEAF and (b) it's not for sale in Illinois :( Also (c) I don't have anywhere to plug in at work, so my 20 mile commute one-way would mean going back to gas on the return trip. But of course, (c) can change with time.

It will be for sale in all 50 states just that they won't stock it so you can't test drive the plug in version you'll have to test drive the regular one and order plug in.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

GRA

Sat May 23, 2015 3:01 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
There's a variety of minimum AERs that are 'useful and satisfying'. I'd say that the PiP's six miles continuous (with care) is too short to be useful for most people, but I believe that 20-25 miles is a good minimum...

The PIP can easily get 10+ miles "continuous" AER, with no particular "care" except not literally flooring it. I'm not sure why people don't just note that its actual AER of about 15 miles Summer, 10 miles Winter (with heat off), isn't enough, instead of misrepresenting it...
I say it because that doesn't seem to be possible for the average driver driving as they typically do, as opposed to EV geeks who get off on seeing how far they can stretch the AER. I've been able to 'easily' exceed the EPA highway MPG on every car I've owned, but that doesn't mean that the typical driver does so.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sat May 23, 2015 3:40 pm

minispeed wrote:
ishiyakazuo wrote:Yeah, I must say that this is appealing for me, having just come from a Sonata, which I liked quite a bit. The two drawbacks for me are (a) I just bought the LEAF and (b) it's not for sale in Illinois :( Also (c) I don't have anywhere to plug in at work, so my 20 mile commute one-way would mean going back to gas on the return trip. But of course, (c) can change with time.

It will be for sale in all 50 states just that they won't stock it so you can't test drive the plug in version you'll have to test drive the regular one and order plug in.

Via ABG (partial quote):
Hyundai has a reason for choosing the ZEV states as a starting point, O'Brien said. "The ten states are spending more money on charging infrastructure, so you can park at work, you can park while you're in the grocery store, and you can charge your car while you're doing it." In any other state, where the plug-in infrastructure is weaker, a customer can order a PHEV Sonata just as if they were going to get a specific color Veloster that the local dealer didn't have in stock, O'Brien said. "It's really no different."

2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV sales plan slide

"If you just look at the sales, basically all our competitors, over half of their plug-in hybrid sales are right here in the state of California," O'Brien said. "Usually, much more than half. If you cover the ZEV states, you're going to cover over 85 percent of the sales [emphasis added] already. And we're going to make sure that our dealers can accommodate and customers that wish to buy outside those states."
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/22/2016 ... r-sort-of/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat May 23, 2015 5:20 pm

GRA wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:

I say it because that doesn't seem to be possible for the average driver driving as they typically do, as opposed to EV geeks who get off on seeing how far they can stretch the AER. I've been able to 'easily' exceed the EPA highway MPG on every car I've owned, but that doesn't mean that the typical driver does so.

Our PIP is driven my my housemate, a woman who hates/fears EVs (She won't even drive my Leaf unless I'm with her, and doesn't like it when she does) and is not a Geek of any sort - she's more a technophobe. She drives a little slowly (55-60MPH) on the highway, but often accelerates faster than I do. She easily gets the ranges I quoted above. She does tend to leave the A/C off, but that doesn't make a big difference in 95% of our driving. I'm willing to bet that anyone who drives a Prius and gets at least 50MPG (that's most of the eco-minded Prius drivers, not just the hypermilers) can get at least 12 miles EV range in a PIP in mild weather.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

minispeed

Sun May 24, 2015 3:50 am

GRA wrote:
minispeed wrote:

Via ABG (partial quote):
Hyundai has a reason for choosing the ZEV states as a starting point, O'Brien said. "The ten states are spending more money on charging infrastructure, so you can park at work, you can park while you're in the grocery store, and you can charge your car while you're doing it." In any other state, where the plug-in infrastructure is weaker, a customer can order a PHEV Sonata just as if they were going to get a specific color Veloster that the local dealer didn't have in stock, O'Brien said. "It's really no different."

2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV sales plan slide

"If you just look at the sales, basically all our competitors, over half of their plug-in hybrid sales are right here in the state of California," O'Brien said. "Usually, much more than half. If you cover the ZEV states, you're going to cover over 85 percent of the sales [emphasis added] already. And we're going to make sure that our dealers can accommodate and customers that wish to buy outside those states."
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/22/2016 ... r-sort-of/

Yes read it like 3 times and still it says you can order a 2016 PHEV Sonata in other states. Will it be easy, no. Will it be a smooth buying experience like in the ZEV states, no. Will you find dealers who don't want to order one for you, probably. You'll also probably have to pay full sticker and put down a large deposit but you can still get one.

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Mon May 25, 2015 10:50 am

The wait for a PHEV with 7kW OBC continues.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
54.94AHr, SOH 86%, 130k miles
9kW Solar

minispeed

Mon May 25, 2015 11:23 am

Outlander PHEV will have QC!

Valdemar wrote:The wait for a PHEV with 7kW OBC continues.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Mon May 25, 2015 11:44 am

The Outlandish, err, Outlander reminds me of SONY... Soon Only Not Yet...

minispeed wrote:Outlander PHEV will have QC!
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”