OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Re: Gen 2 Chevrolet Volt PHEV (2016+) MSRP $33,995

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:54 am

silverone wrote:Volt has to have gas in the tank for normal operation. Goes into "reduced power mode" when out of gas, limiting the EV output to half, approximately 55kW.

Many thanks for the thorough answer to my questions - it is much appreciated!

Would you say the Volt is still reasonably driveable when in this reduced power mode? I'm thinking it is not.

It strikes me as kind of odd that it limits EV power when there is no gas in a fully charged car, but maybe that is one of the ways it protects the battery from excessive degradation and keeps the engine happy.

My primary concern is in avoiding the case where someone has the car out, uses up all the gas and doesn't refill it. I would hate to trade "battery range anxiety" for "gas anxiety". One of the best parts about the Leaf is being able to refuel at home and not having to play the "who left the car empty?!!" game. :)

Also, having gone through the gas shortage's of 70's and the excessively high prices of a few years ago, I'm determined to not be at the mercy of the fuel pump.

The Volt otherwise seems like a good value and well thought out.

silverone
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2017

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 am

OakLeaf wrote:Would you say the Volt is still reasonably driveable when in this reduced power mode? I'm thinking it is not.

It strikes me as kind of odd that it limits EV power when there is no gas in a fully charged car, but maybe that is one of the ways it protects the battery from excessive degradation and keeps the engine happy.

Volt is reasonably driveable in that reduced power mode at most speeds, but it is difficult to get to that mode under normal conditions. You need to think of the Volt as Electric first, then gas if needed. If you keep a minimum amount of gas in the tank (about 1.5 gallons), you can drive EV at full capability for as long as your charge holds out, and you probably make it back to a plug. If for some reason you go through the battery and subsequently run out of fuel, you will only be in reduced propulsion mode for a half mile or so until the car stops altogether since you'll be down below the lower threshold of SOC.

There are ways to inhibit ICE starts if needed, but they are only used by some of the more extreme drivers.

There are plenty of warnings on low fuel. There's really little to no warning on low SOC before the ICE starts.
2013 SL with Premium package - build date 5/13. 12 bar car with 39,000 miles and counting...
2014 Volt - 45,000+ miles

OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:36 pm

silverone wrote:If you keep a minimum amount of gas in the tank (about 1.5 gallons), you can drive EV at full capability for as long as your charge holds out, and you probably make it back to a plug. If for some reason you go through the battery and subsequently run out of fuel, you will only be in reduced propulsion mode for a half mile or so until the car stops altogether since you'll be down below the lower threshold of SOC.

Thanks for the additional details!

Myself, it's not too much trouble to keep an eye on the gas and fill it when necessary, but my better half has trouble with this concept sometimes... :roll: Just trying to get a feel for how much of an issue it is for the Volt to be run as an EV only if no gas were available.

The Volts EV range is actually about the same as our Leaf at this point, so we should remain mostly electrically powered.

Thanks again!!

silverone
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2017

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Of course everyone is different, but I've only put gas in my car about a half dozen times in 40,000+ miles on my Gen 1 Volt. I've gone over 11,000 miles on a tank of gas once, and routinely get over 4,000 miles per tank, but it all depends on your use pattern.

If you're used to the range of your Leaf, I don't think you'll be going for gas more than a few times a year.
2013 SL with Premium package - build date 5/13. 12 bar car with 39,000 miles and counting...
2014 Volt - 45,000+ miles

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 am

@EVNow, interested to hear your review,

100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
RIP Tesla Model X P90DL - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: Gen 2 GM Volt Plug-in Hybrid (2016+) MSRP $33,995

Thu May 18, 2017 3:40 pm

TomT wrote:All I know is that it was a cool 48 degrees (about as cold as it typically gets here) and windy for our test drive, but the cabin stayed a nice warm 70 and the engine never started...

LeftieBiker wrote:How well does the electric cabin heater perform in the Volt? I hate the idea of forced engine starts (the Prius PHEV is really bad in this way), but if the start temp can be set to 15F, that isn't quite so bad...

It's good to know that hybrid makers are getting away from using ICE heat for heating. It's one of the reasons that has pushed me away from owning a hybrid or PHEV.

Today it's mid May and it's snowing. Since a lot of my work I do is at night I run the heater most days. So since I run the heater pretty much each day for 9 months out of the year, if I decide to get a hybrid or PHEV I'd like one that doesn't run the engine to provide heat. That would kind of defeat the purpose.

On the Leaf I don't have to worry about burning gasoline to make heat.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Fri May 19, 2017 5:51 am

IssacZachary wrote:
TomT wrote:All I know is that it was a cool 48 degrees (about as cold as it typically gets here) and windy for our test drive, but the cabin stayed a nice warm 70 and the engine never started...

LeftieBiker wrote:How well does the electric cabin heater perform in the Volt? I hate the idea of forced engine starts (the Prius PHEV is really bad in this way), but if the start temp can be set to 15F, that isn't quite so bad...

It's good to know that hybrid makers are getting away from using ICE heat for heating. It's one of the reasons that has pushed me away from owning a hybrid or PHEV.

Today it's mid May and it's snowing. Since a lot of my work I do is at night I run the heater most days. So since I run the heater pretty much each day for 9 months out of the year, if I decide to get a hybrid or PHEV I'd like one that doesn't run the engine to provide heat. That would kind of defeat the purpose.

On the Leaf I don't have to worry about burning gasoline to make heat.

+1
It's also why I ended up getting a Leaf, never have to try and trick things to keep the engine from coming on!
I remember when I went to look at electric type cars it was winter and all the cars I drove would never run on battery, they all started the ICE for my whole trip! All I could think of was if I wanted a car that could run on battery I wanted it to run on battery, even if it meant not as much heat or even none. I remember researching various forums where members were tricking the cars into not running the ICE and thought I didn't want to purchase a new vehicle only to have to start tinkering with it day one :lol:
It sounds like the new Prius plug in(Prime) will be better in this respect and having a heatpump it will be much more efficient in warmer(20s and above) temps :)
Our old Prius has no heat without the ICE, when cool as soon as you turn on the climate control for heat, the engine starts :x this is not the case for cooling though.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri May 19, 2017 6:00 am

jjeff wrote:warmer(20s and above) temps :)

Leave it to a guy from MN to consider 20s "warmer" temps ;)

I also fall into this camp. Though not MN, Syracuse still gets cold in the winter. My friend's Volt will run the engine for about three months of the year, even when never going farther than 20 miles in a day. He gets ERDTT rage (Engine Running Due To Temperature). His car sits in a warm insulated garage, so the car starts out warm. Often he makes it 99% of the way to work only to have the measured temperature drop below 15F as he is pulling into the parking lot. The engine literally turns on right as he pulls into a parking spot and turns off the car. He gets so angry, and often vents to me. I just smile because my Leaf doesn't have that problem :D
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

GRA

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Via IEVS, if we could only get it here earlier:
Report: GM Considers Ending Chevrolet Volt In Favor Of Plug-In Crossover
http://insideevs.com/report-gm-consider ... crossover/

It is no secret that the passenger car segment is dying in the US. Now according to a new report, GM is considering removing six passenger cars from the US market after 2020, and one of them is the Chevrolet Volt. And while we would be sad to see one of the “original” plug-in offerings for this generation of electric vehicles leave the market place (first launched in December of 2010), it would not be anytime soon as the 2nd generation Volt only just arrived in the Fall of 2015.

GM originally considered offering a utility version of the 1st generation Volt, perhaps the 3rd generation Voltec platform will indeed see this change. The current Chevrolet Volt is said to stick around until at least 2022, and if it were to be discounted [Sic.], the Volt would be replaced with a new extended range, plug-in crossover model. . . .

OTOH, Ford's definitely got a PHEV Escape in the works, supposedly for the 2019 MY, and I'd personally prefer a smaller battery pack than the Volt's, to gain room and save weight/cost. 1/2 the current pack size would do nicely.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

rcm4453
Leaf Number: 304133

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 pm

GRA wrote:Via IEVS, if we could only get it here earlier:
Report: GM Considers Ending Chevrolet Volt In Favor Of Plug-In Crossover
http://insideevs.com/report-gm-consider ... crossover/

It is no secret that the passenger car segment is dying in the US. Now according to a new report, GM is considering removing six passenger cars from the US market after 2020, and one of them is the Chevrolet Volt. And while we would be sad to see one of the “original” plug-in offerings for this generation of electric vehicles leave the market place (first launched in December of 2010), it would not be anytime soon as the 2nd generation Volt only just arrived in the Fall of 2015.

GM originally considered offering a utility version of the 1st generation Volt, perhaps the 3rd generation Voltec platform will indeed see this change. The current Chevrolet Volt is said to stick around until at least 2022, and if it were to be discounted [Sic.], the Volt would be replaced with a new extended range, plug-in crossover model. . . .

OTOH, Ford's definitely got a PHEV Escape in the works, supposedly for the 2019 MY, and I'd personally prefer a smaller battery pack than the Volt's, to gain room and save weight/cost. 1/2 the current pack size would do nicely.

Half the pack of a Volt in PHEV Escape? You'd be lucky to get 20 miles AER! Anything less then 40 -50 miles AER seems pointless to me in a PHEV. I had the first gen Volt and got around 38 miles AER, wasn't nearly enough when you factor in winter, heater use, strong headwinds and freeway speeds. I found myself constantly burning gas, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. Plus once you get spoiled by the silky smooth EV drive it's like nails on a chalkboard when that loud vibrating ICE kicks in! Now after driving a BEV for almost 2 years I could never go back to a PHEV unless it had an AER equal to or greater then a 30kwh Leaf. Most people don't consider the driving experience of pure EV over ICE, it's just so much more "refined". Now when I drive the girlfriends Malibu it's like driving a tractor!

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”