GRA

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 pm

There has been some discussion as to whether or not Tesla has any competition yet. I'm on the yes side for the near future due to the soon to arrive I-Pace, e-tron Quattro and Taycan. Here's one example, from Teslarati via IEVS:
Tesla Model S Owner Explains Why He Pre-Ordered Porsche Taycan
https://insideevs.com/tesla-owner-ordered-porsche-taycan/

A quote from the original Teslarati article:
Car enthusiast and Norway-based Model S owner Jim Roger Johansen admits that while his heart is with Tesla, the Porsche Taycan (formerly referred to as the Mission E sedan), “is something else.” Having a fondness for high-performance vehicles, Johansen states that he wants a high-performance electric car, but the next-generation Tesla Roadster, which starts at $200,000, is out of his price range. He is hoping that the Porsche Taycan would be the ideal vehicle to fill the gap between his Model S family car and the hypercar-beating next-generation Roadster.

Earlier this year, Johansen visited a Porsche dealer, expressing his interest in the vehicle then known as the Mission E sedan. During his visit, Porsche kept his email address and advised him that he would be receiving updates about the car. This April, he received a message from the German legacy automaker stating that the pre-orders for the Taycan are being opened for Norway. In order to keep his place in the priority queue for the vehicle, he was asked to pay Kr20,000 (about $2,250) on or before April 25. . . .
https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-taycan-mission-e-pre-orders-norway/

The IEVS article notes that Porsche has 2,300 pre-orders for the Taycan in Norway, a country of 5.2 million people.

Via ABG:
Tesla shares drop on report that it's asking suppliers for refunds
Memo describes the request as ‘essential to Tesla's continued operation’
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/23/tesla-suppliers-refunds-wsj/

Shares of Tesla fell more than 4 percent in trading before the bell on Monday, after a report that the electric car maker has turned to some suppliers for a refund of previously made payments in a bid to turn a profit.

Tesla has asked some suppliers to refund money paid by the electric car maker since 2016, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, citing a memo.

The memo, which the paper said was sent by a global supply manager, described the request as essential to Tesla's continued operation and characterized it as an investment in the car company to continue the long-term growth between both players. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:20 am

The fanbois didn't waste any time on that surfboard. Could Tesla be emerging as a fashion brand?
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

LTLFTcomposite

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:00 am

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/sto ... m_ven=CNBC

Is there really no place to plug anything in in the state of New Mexico?
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

Zythryn

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/tesla-must-raise-billions-in-cash-if-elon-musk-still-wants-to-make-cars-14656380?puc=CNBC&cm_ven=CNBC

Is there really no place to plug anything in in the state of New Mexico?

New Mexico has quite a few places to charge. Your link didn't seem to have anything to do with New Mexico?
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

LTLFTcomposite

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Zythryn wrote:New Mexico has quite a few places to charge. Your link didn't seem to have anything to do with New Mexico?

Around the 1 minute mark in the video
LTL

Zythryn

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:36 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
Zythryn wrote:New Mexico has quite a few places to charge. Your link didn't seem to have anything to do with New Mexico?

LOL. Hyperbole much?
Tesla has quite a few superchargers in New Mexico. There are also destination chargers, and of course lots of public car chargers and regular old outlets.
That statement is an exaggeration at best. Now, if he lived in North Dakota he would have a leg to stand on.
Current owner of Model 3

GRA

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Zythryn wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:

LOL. Hyperbole much?
Tesla has quite a few superchargers in New Mexico. There are also destination chargers, and of course lots of public car chargers and regular old outlets.
That statement is an exaggeration at best. Now, if he lived in North Dakota he would have a leg to stand on.

Yes, an exaggeration. There are 9 SCs in N.M., albeit all of them except Farmington are on an interstate: Deming on I-10 (needs Lordsburg infilled); Truth or Consequences, Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Vegas on I-25 (needs Socorro or San Antonio infilled); and Gallup, Albuquerque, Santa Rosa and Tucumcari on I-40 (needs one around Grant infilled). There are large off-interstate areas where SCs are needed, and you're currently reliant on 14-50s or SoL.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Zythryn

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:28 am

When an analysist resorts to such misrepresentation so carelessly, I tend to put little weight behind the other things the have to say.
By the way, I believe there are 10 SCs, more destination chargers, and I suspect there are a number of J1772 plugs that could be used.
Heck, the analyst probably has a plug in his garage ;)
Current owner of Model 3

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am

When I originally looked at the linked article, I just read it's contents and ignored the video (I never want to watch those things). So I also was confused about the NM reference. After the follow-on posts, I went back and watched the video. And he says: "I live in New Mexico and there's no place to plug them in" (and the 'interviewer' giggles).

Sadly, far too many people watching will come to the conclusion that you can't charge EVs in NM.

Zythryn wrote:When an analysist resorts to such misrepresentation so carelessly, I tend to put little weight behind the other things the have to say.

Basically, yes. His FUD about no ability to charge an EV in NM makes it apparent everything else he is saying is also (likely) more FUD.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi
3 reservation canceled; X on order.

GRA

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm

All via IEVS:
Tesla Model S, X Refresh Not Happening Until Q3 2019
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-x-refresh-q3-2019/

. . . According to Electrek, internal documents reveal that Tesla will extend the life cycle of the current Model S and X through 2021. In order to make this happen, the automaker will begin production of the vehicles with a substantial interior overhaul during the third quarter of 2019.

This is not the timeline that many expected. Several stories and forum posts have pointed to a refresh or redesign coming soon. There is a regular opinion in Tesla circles that the update is long overdue, as well as much speculation surrounding Tesla beginning this process before the end of this year. However, with Model 3 production and profitability taking precedence at this point, it appears that we’ll have to wait another year or more.

Additionally, if these reports are accurate, the updates will revamp the S and X interior to the more minimalistic styling and setup of the Model 3, but aside from that, there doesn’t appear to be any other plans for a more significant redesign for another three years.

One hopes they won't adopt the Model 3's touchscreen-only displays but will leave well enough alone. That's probably asking too much given Elon's tendencies.

Tesla To Add Party & Camper Mode To Model S, 3, X
https://insideevs.com/tesla-to-add-party-camper-mode-to-model-s-3-x/

. . .
Replying to @elonmusk
    We’re adding a “party & camper mode” soon to S/3/X, so your car can maintain air flow, temp, selective lights, music & power devices for 48 hours or more while parked. Big batteries rock …

Camper mode isn’t new to Teslas, but this addition of “party” takes it to a whole new level we’re sure. . . .

Tesla Ranks Last Place In Auto Dealership Index
https://insideevs.com/tesla-ranks-last-place-in-auto-dealership-index/

. . . In a dealership study published by the Pied Piper Management Company, covering the rankings of particular car dealerships from a customer’s standpoint, Tesla didn’t fare so well. The U.S based car company ranked dead last (34th out of 34) out of the auto brands included in the survey. Rankings are made by evaluating how helpful each company’s salespeople are to customers. tesla also experienced one of the survey’s biggest year-to-year declines, prompting a lot of questions for the management staff. . . .

This year’s top rank is taken by Audi. According to the study, Audi salespeople were most likely on average to ask customers questions to determine how a vehicle would be used, then helping them out pick a particular model. Additionally, Audi’s salespeople are also most likely to provide a “walkaround demonstration” that showcases vehicle benefits and features to customers directly, helping said customers to distinguish particular models within the brand and the competition. German car company dealership salespeople are also more likely to ask follow-up questions, helping better understand their customers’ needs and to provide them with particular reasons and motivation for why they should buy from their specific dealership.

The rankings have – following Audi – Lexus in the second place, followed by Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, and RAM. As for the brands that improved most on a year-to-year basis are Audi, Jeep, and GMC. Headlining those that fell off are Tesla, infinity, and Porsche. . . .

To be fair on Tesla, the company never moved in the same direction as other automakers did with their dealerships. Tesla doesn’t sell through them. They sell vehicles through their own website and their own company-owned stores, essentially giving them full control over the entire buying process.

“They are not on commission and they will never pressure you to buy a car,” Musk said of Tesla salespeople. “Their goal and the sole metric of their success is to have you enjoy the experience of visiting so much that you look forward to returning again.”

It seems that Tesla needs a long and hard overhaul of their sales tactics. More emphasis needs to be put into sales employee training. While this may not be code red for thcarmakerer, it still paints a rather worrying picture. After all, the sales experience is a big factor on whether customers come back for their second, third or fourth car. And with more legacy car maker, the ones with strong and budding ties between their dealerships and customers, come into the EV market, Tesla might find itself in a rather precarious position overall.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”