LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 pm

^ Yeah but the car would slow down as the battery ages.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

GRA

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Meanwhile, down to $257.78 at close, and $254.50 after hours.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 pm

iPlug wrote:Time for Apple to buy Tesla?

LOL! Not cheap enough yet. I also can't see why Apple would want to take on such a money losing business (over $4.5 billion in net losses, so far which includes the few profitable quarters they've had). They've yet to have a single profitable full year.

IIRC, they've also racked up over $10 billion in debt.

Tesla had about $11.7 billion in revenue for 2017 vs. Apple's $229 billion. To generate that $11.7 billion in revenue, they lost between $1.9 and $2.2 billion (depending on whether you look at net loss or net loss attributable to common stockholders). Meaning, they had expenses $1.9 to $2.2 billion greater than the incoming revenue. This doesn't include the cash they burned on capital expenditures like Supercharger expansion and equipment for factories.

During Apple's $229 billion in revenue 2017, they generated $48 billion in profit.

Apple stopped making hardware AGES ago. They used to have plants that built Macs and Apple II's. They outsourced all manufacturing to the likes of Foxconn and Pegatron. Why would they want to take on an enormous capital intensive and complex burden of manufacturing cars, dealing that supply chain and manufacturing in the high cost of living part of the US? Virtually all Apple hardware sold in the US is assembled/made in China with CHEAP labor vs. the US.

Apple makes massive and impressive profits for a company that sells hardware.

Maybe if Tesla went bankrupt and all/most of the debt was written off and Apple (or whatever suitor it is) could see a path to profitability... yeah, they might bite, if it's cheap enough.
LTLFTcomposite wrote:^ Yeah but the car would slow down as the battery ages.

And have reduced acceleration. :)

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LTLFTcomposite

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:06 am

A white knight isn't going to ride in at $250/share. I'd expect to see that more in the teens or single digits, or when they really are in distress not just headed that way. I'm not rooting for them to fail but at the same time have difficulty seeing how the current course is sustainable. There are many more chapters to be written in this story, that's what makes it so interesting. The idea that Tesla ceases to exist and everyone who has one of their cars just scraps it because parts aren't available strikes me as highly unlikely.

One article noted taking on debt was a mistake. As long as you raise capital through equity you can benefit from shareholder sentiment if you can keep them in the pews believing the future is so bright you need shades. The bond market otoh is unforgiving, even if they believe the story they still want their money.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Anyone old enough to recall soviet-era propaganda may find TSLA's exhortations, reported below, amusingly familiar.

More to the point, it sounds like TSLA will declare an incredible victory, even if production falls far short of the 2,500 per week by now that it promised investors only a couple of months ago.

Tesla Asks for Model 3 Factory Volunteers to Prove ‘Haters’ Wrong

Tesla Inc. exhorted its factory workers to disprove the “haters” betting against the company wrong and asked for volunteers to join the effort to ramp up output of the crucial Model 3 line.

In a pair of internal memos last week, the heads of engineering and production spelled out measures to free up workers for the Model 3 line and challenged them to reach production goals. Doug Field, the engineering chief, told staff that if they can exceed 300 Model 3s a day, it would be an “incredible victory” at a time when short-sellers and critics are increasingly doubting the company’s ability to fulfill CEO Elon Musk’s vision of building a mass-production electric-vehicle manufacturer...

“We set high goals at Tesla, but I know we can do this,” Field wrote. “If we keep climbing from 300 through the end of the week, it will be an incredible victory. Your friends and family will hear about it in the news.”...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... production
no condition is permanent

LTLFTcomposite

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:10 pm

So can we conclude they are short of 2000/week?
LTL

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:33 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:

I would rather see it fold. I'm sure there would be better contenders. I would never drive a Tesla if it were owned by Apple.

If it were owned by Apple, I'd have bought 2 by now. ;)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Nubo wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

I would rather see it fold. I'm sure there would be better contenders. I would never drive a Tesla if it were owned by Apple.

I currently have an iPhone 6. It works well for my needs. I re,member Steve Jobs pushing the sealed Mac. I will never again own an Apple computer. I had an Apple II many years ago.

The cult of Apple or the cult of Elon are not for me.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

GRA

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm

GlennD wrote:I currently have an iPhone 6. It works well for my needs. I re,member Steve Jobs pushing the sealed Mac. I will never again own an Apple computer. I had an Apple II many years ago.

Having been a lifelong resident of the Bay Area, cults are not for me, period. The mass grave holding the 412 unclaimed members of the People's Temple who died at Jonestown is in Oakland's Evergreen cemetery. Fortunately, business cults generally only cost people money rather than their lives.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:19 pm

GlennD wrote:
Nubo wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

I currently have an iPhone 6. It works well for my needs. I re,member Steve Jobs pushing the sealed Mac. I will never again own an Apple computer. I had an Apple II many years ago.

More of a meme than reality. I have opened every Mac I’ve owned over the years as well as iPods and iphones.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”