GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: 2017 Prius Prime PHEV

Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 pm

"Micro-climates" is a term I never even heard of until I lived in the Bay Area (Palo Alto). Boy is it apt.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri May 05, 2017 8:03 pm

America does not lack for people who live in cold climates and keep their homes, cars and workplaces warmed up into the 70s during the winter. My New Mexico raised daughter loves to gossip about a room mate from WS who fights with her non stop to turn up the thermostat because she wants to wander around in her T-shirt and shorts.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

rmay635703

Sat May 06, 2017 8:36 am

SageBrush wrote:America does not lack for people who live in cold climates and keep their homes, cars and workplaces warmed up into the 70s during the winter. My New Mexico raised daughter loves to gossip about a room mate from WS who fights with her non stop to turn up the thermostat because she wants to wander around in her T-shirt and shorts.

My heat is shut off as soon as it's above freezing in my little duplex.

Never goes below 50 with the heat off, I do enjoy a hot shower in the morning, though I take it military style starting with cold water and pretty short.

If I'm sick or it's rainy / dreary I turn it up but usually not.

My gas + electric bill is usually under $10 a month (excluding the $50 of taxes and fees I pay regardless)

I truly live in a sustainable way, my energy use is below the first percentile, yet I still have electronic toys, cook most of my meals the old way.

My goal has been to micro home and off grid for a long while .

3-5 months a year it's higher since it's not avoidable.

My water bill is usually for .1 units of water every three months which is the smallest unit they meter.

SageBrush

Sat May 06, 2017 10:02 am

rmay635703 wrote:
SageBrush wrote:America does not lack for people who live in cold climates and keep their homes, cars and workplaces warmed up into the 70s during the winter. My New Mexico raised daughter loves to gossip about a room mate from WS who fights with her non stop to turn up the thermostat because she wants to wander around in her T-shirt and shorts.

My
If I'm
My
I
My goal
My

And you think you represent the majority, thus your conclusion about heat pumps.

rmay635703

Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 am

SageBrush wrote:
rmay635703 wrote:

My
If I'm
My
I
My goal
My

And you think you represent the majority, thus your conclusion about heat pumps.

It's not that a heat pump isn't nifty but climate here dictates it would be of use what , 30 days a year? Wisconsin is either hot or cold, that short period in fall and spring where things are crisp and cool is just that "short"

And No I represent how Americans once were and likely will end up in the future, my Grandmother and her 3 children lived how I do into the 70's not because they had to but because it was prudent, my mother has lived with 30's era values her whole life, reusing everything.
if the majority lived the way I do we would not need oil imports, or Chinese imports, we would have no debt, no need for war, few landfills and we could live within the constraints of our local environment.

I have a distaste for people who waste tremendous amounts of energy efficiently and live green washed lives justifying improved tech just so they can waste more.

Don't get me wrong, I drive about 18000 miles a year which is a waste for my pastime and work but with a heavy handed mix of 200mpge, 70mpg insight and lastly 45mpg 4 passenger vehicle half of the miles with 1 or 2 passengers in every case I'm still using less energy per person doing it than someone who drives 3000 miles a year.
My goal is to start moving more miles to human power but I'm not there yet.

I do not believe most Americans realize the tremendous gifts they waste everyday that are likely here for the moment but will be gone for our grandchildren .

There are still those like me, some can be found here
Ecomodder.com

My point is that not everyone needs an expensive device that should be optional.

Just as I believe Chevy is very short sighted in not including exhaust heat recovery as an option on the cold weather equipped "Volt", which (usuing the Malibu hybrid as an example) would add +10% onto to summer gas FE and +20% onto winter or more.

Ah well

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat May 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Just admit that a heat pump isn't a "gimmick" and we'll happily acknowledge that not everyone needs one.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

SageBrush

Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Fwiw, I am a lot like you, and I have yet to use the heat pump of my Prius Prime. I may never. But I recognize the efficiency gain for all those people who *will* heat their cars while driving in EV in ambient temperatures of ~ 15F - 60F. And if it is true that the heat pump is a more efficient defroster than cabin heating, it is even better and useful for me too.

GRA

Wed May 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Via GCR:
How does the heat pump work in a Toyota Prius Prime plug-in hybrid?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110627_how-does-the-heat-pump-work-in-a-toyota-prius-prime-plug-in-hybrid
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Per IEVS, May U.S. Prime sales were once more #1 with 1,908, beating out the Volt (1,817) this month by 91(vs. 12 last month). Sales are apparently still supply-constrained, as per Jay Cole time on lot is apparently something like 7 days.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Via IEVS:
In May, Toyota Prius Prime Sales In Japan Went Through The Roof
http://insideevs.com/in-may-toyota-priu ... -the-roof/

Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid (AKA the Prius Prime in U.S.) set a new sales record last month in Japan, obliterating all previous “best efforts” by other OEMs. New registrations surged to 5,369, which was a third of the total Prius family sales. Japanese sources reports that higher incentives (from May) influenced the results (after they sank April). . . .

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”