jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: 2017 Prius Prime PHEV

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Well we checked out the Prius Prime today and were pleasantly surprised. I liked the styling much better than the (IMO) fugly new Prius and while at first I was quite upset at the lack of the 5th seat(middle rear) I guess we rarely use that in our '07 Prius and without it you gain a nice storage/cup holder thingy. I'd still probably rather have the 5th seat but it's no longer the deal breaker I once thought it might be.
Compared the Prius to several other PHEVs with similar ranges and the Prius still seems to be the one to beat in it's class. A big selling point to me in my climate is it's heat-pump heater, from what I can tell not a very common thing in EVs or for sure PHEVs.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:53 pm

jjeff wrote:Well we checked out the Prius Prime today and were pleasantly surprised. I liked the styling much better than the (IMO) fugly new Prius <snip>

I've seen four or five Primes now, and I agree that unlike the Gen 4 Prius it's not fugly. Still ugly IMO, but I don't feel the need to avert my eyes as with the regular Prius. :shock:
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks to my FB feed, I spotted a post pointing to http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index ... ost-422833.

Keep in mind this is before taxes and that sales tax would be on the purchase price of the car. Wayne Gerdes aka xcel said:
Hi All:

There is currently approximately $700 discount off MSRP being offered from the California area dealerships and $1,000 rebate from Toyota currently. For California consumers, this brings a Prius Prime Plus to just over $20k +TTL. I think there may more $s on the hood by late summer given both the Ioniq and Niro PHEVs are scheduled to arrive this fall.

$27,965 to start including the $865 D&H charge
$4,500 Fed Tax Credit
$1,500 Calif. State tax rebate
$700 off retail
$1,000 Toyota Rebate

$20,265

Wow. Seems like a pretty cheap way to get green HOV stickers. If I were in the market for an ICEV to replace my 06 Prius, I'd actually consider this.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 am

cwerdna wrote:Thanks to my FB feed, I spotted a post pointing to http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index ... ost-422833.

Keep in mind this is before taxes and that sales tax would be on the purchase price of the car. Wayne Gerdes aka xcel said:
Hi All:

There is currently approximately $700 discount off MSRP being offered from the California area dealerships and $1,000 rebate from Toyota currently. For California consumers, this brings a Prius Prime Plus to just over $20k +TTL. I think there may more $s on the hood by late summer given both the Ioniq and Niro PHEVs are scheduled to arrive this fall.

$27,965 to start including the $865 D&H charge
$4,500 Fed Tax Credit
$1,500 Calif. State tax rebate
$700 off retail
$1,000 Toyota Rebate

$20,265

Wow. Seems like a pretty cheap way to get green HOV stickers. If I were in the market for an ICEV to replace my 06 Prius, I'd actually consider this.

That does sound good when you put it that way, and while I don't have the paperwork with me right now I believe it might even be cheaper than what we paid for our '07 Prius, which at the time was in high demand due to high gas prices and therefor wasn't discounted one bit, there were waiting lists at least in my state.
Not to derail this thread too long but since you have a '06 and I a '07 Prius, aren't you starting to worry about any possible upcoming maintenance issues with your Prius? I mean for the past several cars I've liked to buy new and drive for 10 years, thus avoiding most repairs. It's worked well and in the case of my '94 Geo Metro worked very well as about 6 months after selling it the purchaser had a catastrophic failure that resulted in it being junked. I kind of felt bad about it but it had been 6 months and I can truthfully say I knew nothing about failure or that it would happen, since then I've found it's somewhat common for Geos of those years in my climate(rust causing the whole front end to fall to the ground, non repairable). Anyway thats why I've been thinking of replacing our Prius. It still runs great, somewhat low mileage I believe for it's age(~80k) and no visible rust. I'm just worried something might go wrong with say the NiMh pack(which I've read can be somewhat expensive to replace and might be required to drive the car) or even electrical problems which could also be costly to fix. We'd also have the advantage if going with the Prime of using even less gas as my wifes commute(who is the primary driver) works well within the Prime's EV range, thus possibly reducing our gas usage to longer trips, or maybe a bit more if the Prime is like the Volt and likes to run the engine to make sure the gas doesn't get too old. As it is now unless were using it for a trip she generally only has to full up monthly as when not commuting she uses one of our Leafs and uses no gas.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 pm

via IEVS:
Toyota Dealers Increase Requests For Prius Prime As Sales Exceed Expectations
http://insideevs.com/toyota-dealers-inc ... ectations/

Pretty much as expected, at least in California.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:15 pm

And for the world, via IEVS:
Early Sales Data Suggests The Toyota Prius Prime May Be 2017’s Best Selling Plug-In Globally
http://insideevs.com/early-sales-data-s ... g-plug-in/

GRA

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Via IEVS:
Toyota Prius Prime Wins 2017 World Green Car Award
http://insideevs.com/toyota-prius-prime ... car-award/

The Toyota Prius Prime earned the nod for the 2017 World Green Car title at the New York International Auto Show this week. For Japanese manufacturer, it’s the second title in a row, as year ago Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell model was considered the best.

The win by Prius Prime could be the right choice as initial sales results are pretty encouraging, although we have to say…we thought it would go to the Chevrolet Bolt EV, which has been sucking up awards like a Dyson vacuum cleaner lately. . . .

Vehicles in all award categories are selected and voted on by an international jury panel comprising 75 top-level automotive journalists from 23 countries around the world. . . .”

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 pm

We own a Prius Prime and now have about 3 weeks of use.

This is the fourth* car in the Prius family we have bought and hands down it is the best as an overall package. As a car it is quiet, has dynamics about on par with the LEAF (a good thing), and is pleasant to drive. I don't really view the Prime as an EV, but as a fuel sipper and in that context it exceeds my high expectations. It is mostly used to drive my 90 mile commute to work, and it gets a little bit of in-town driving. The first ~ 800 miles on the car are averaging 105 mpg and I'm pretty confident that the annualized mpg will be over 90 after winter is included. My wife and I combined drive ~ 16,000 miles a year and this will work out to about $25 a month in fuel costs between petrol and our home PV supplied kWh for the Prime and LEAF at current petrol prices. The PV is of course fixed at ~ 2.5 cents a kWh.

Not including TTL I paid $17,000 which is an astounding price for the car, but keep in mind that Colorado chipped in $5,000.

2004 Prius
2011 Lexus CT 200h
2012 Prius vagon
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

GRA

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Via GCR:
Toyota Prius One: stripped-down hybrid added at lower price
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... ower-price

It hasn't been the greatest of years for the Toyota Prius hybrid, the Japanese carmaker's flagship product. The fourth generation hybrid hatchback debuted as a 2016 model into the teeth of continued low gasoline prices, and its radical design language apparently turned off at least some potential buyers. Now Toyota is taking steps to make the Prius more "accessible" to a greater pool of buyers. . . .

The new Prius One base model is a mid-year addition. It'll have about a $1,200 advantage in price over the current Prius Two, with some minor sacrifices in equipment. Those include the omission of three components: a spare tire, a rear-window washer-wiper, and the pockets on the backs of the front seats. Its starting price will be $24,360, including the mandatory $885 destination charge. That's roughly $1,210 lower than the starting price for the Prius Two, the previous base model.

Notably, however, Toyota has not deleted any of the standard active-safety equipment from the new Prius One. Specifically, those are the standard (and awkwardly named) Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) package of driver assistance technologies. They include a collision warning system with pedestrian detection, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, and automatic high beams. . . .

I doubt this will tempt many Prius shoppers to opt for this over the Prime, at least as long as the Fed. credit and/or state rebates are available.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:55 am

I gotta disagree on this one. I've seen a few of the Primes and I find it even more fugly than the new Prius!

jjeff wrote:I liked the styling much better than the (IMO) fugly new Prius.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”