GRA

Re: 2017 Prius Prime PHEV

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:34 pm

TomT wrote:
jjeff wrote:I liked the styling much better than the (IMO) fugly new Prius.
I gotta disagree on this one. I've seen a few of the Primes and I find it even more fugly than the new Prius!
H'mm, purely subjective, but I think it's the best looking, followed by the Mirai and then the regular Prius. Not that I like any of them, but I'm reserving fugly for the Prius HEV; the other two are just ugly.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm

GRA wrote:
TomT wrote:
jjeff wrote:I liked the styling much better than the (IMO) fugly new Prius.
I gotta disagree on this one. I've seen a few of the Primes and I find it even more fugly than the new Prius!
H'mm, purely subjective, but I think it's the best looking, followed by the Mirai and then the regular Prius. Not that I like any of them, but I'm reserving fugly for the Prius HEV; the other two are just ugly.

+ my feelings exactly. I'm not exactly picky about the looks of a car, heck I even went with the Leaf even though I didn't car for it's goofy headlights. I could live with the Prime, not so the new regular Prius and it would keep me from purchasing one. I can't stand the angular look, and this is coming from a current Prius owner......I'd think their target demo but maybe not. Maybe they are going for the millennials, and I guess thats OK, just leave me out :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

jjeff

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Cool, looks like the Japanese version of the Prime will get a solar roof, which they say on a sunny day could give you an extra 3.7 miles, which wouldn't be a lot in a BEV but on a vehicle that only had a 25 mile EV range, every bit would help.
https://thinkprogress.org/prius-solar-r ... 929f467061
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm

jjeff wrote:Cool, looks like the Japanese version of the Prime will get a solar roof, which they say on a sunny day could give you an extra 3.7 miles, which wouldn't be a lot in a BEV but on a vehicle that only had a 25 mile EV range, every bit would help.

That seems to be big enough to be marginally useful instead of purely a gimmick like the LEAF's, although what the price is will be the determining factor. Still, as someone who often leaves my car sitting at a trailhead for hours or days, not to mention in my driveway for a week or more, it might pencil out. Course, you'd have to deliberately leave the car so it was exposed to the sun all day instead of parking in the shade, so there'd presumably be some (battery and/or cabin) cooling overhead that would eliminate much of the charging benefit. I suspect that until the entire surface of the car is covered with cells at an affordable price, this won't be cost-effective.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

jjeff

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:19 pm

GRA wrote:
jjeff wrote:Cool, looks like the Japanese version of the Prime will get a solar roof, which they say on a sunny day could give you an extra 3.7 miles, which wouldn't be a lot in a BEV but on a vehicle that only had a 25 mile EV range, every bit would help.

That seems to be big enough to be marginally useful instead of purely a gimmick like the LEAF's, although what the price is will be the determining factor. Still, as someone who often leaves my car sitting at a trailhead for hours or days, not to mention in my driveway for a week or more, it might pencil out. Course, you'd have to deliberately leave the car so it was exposed to the sun all day instead of parking in the shade, so there'd presumably be some (battery and/or cabin) cooling overhead that would eliminate much of the charging benefit. I suspect that until the entire surface of the car is covered with cells at an affordable price, this won't be cost-effective.

I tried to copy/paste to that article like you do, so people wouldn't have to follow the link, which I appreciate, but for whatever reason when I tried to SUBMIT it, I got an error code saying I couldn't. Something about it didn't like some code or another :? I tried deleting various things and retrying but was unsuccessful.
I agree, unlike the Joke solar panel on the back of my SL Leaf, this one sounds like it might actually do something, still was just the roof though.
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

I wonder if that panel will actually charge the Prime's pack when the car is Off.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

rmay635703

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:43 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I wonder if that panel will actually charge the Prime's pack when the car is Off.

Yes,

It charges a sMall NIMH pack then bucks it into the big pack from there, when moving it supports cabin loads only

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 am

GRA wrote:Course, you'd have to deliberately leave the car so it was exposed to the sun all day instead of parking in the shade, so there'd presumably be some (battery and/or cabin) cooling overhead that would eliminate much of the charging benefit.

Park facing the sun, put up a windshield sun block, and crack open the windows for ventilation.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

GRA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:14 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:Course, you'd have to deliberately leave the car so it was exposed to the sun all day instead of parking in the shade, so there'd presumably be some (battery and/or cabin) cooling overhead that would eliminate much of the charging benefit.

Park facing the sun, put up a windshield sun block, and crack open the windows for ventilation.

I do all that other than cracking the windows when I have to park in the sun, but I don't have to worry about cooking a very expensive battery, just the 12V one. And my car color (silver metallic) has the second highest albedo (after white) of any car color out there, so I'm getting just about the best possible battery conditions.

GRA

Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

In April, the Prime's U.S. sales passed the Volt for the first time, 1,819 to 1,807. I expect the Prime's lead to widen for the rest of the year, and that it will probably rank #1 for the year among PHEVs and maybe all PEVs. Low price will win out, unless the Ionic PHEV comes in not too much more expensive.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”