GRA

Re: 2017 Prius Prime PHEV

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Via GCR:
Follow-up: In the end, I bought a Toyota Prius Prime plug-in hybrid
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117224_follow-up-in-the-end-i-bought-a-toyota-prius-prime-plug-in-hybrid

In an article last fall, I reached out to the GCR readers for a suggestion for what plug-in vehicle I should buy to complement my 84-mile range 2015 Nissan LEAF. The new vehicle, my wife’s car, had to handle a 16-mile daily commute, occasional 300-mile trips to Vermont (a place of few DC fast chargers), and be less than $40,000.

Readers generously gave their thoughts with over 500 comments, leaning heavily toward the 2017 Chevy Volt as the car of choice with the 2017 Prius Prime coming in second and the Chevy Bolt EV a third. But there was a surprisingly long list of other ideas including a number of people suggesting that we just wait for better options in the marketplace.

Thinking through the options, I quickly ruled out pure battery electric vehicles. There simply are not enough fast chargers in the New England area to have only battery electric vehicles in the family, unless one of them is a Tesla. Tesla’s longer range and extensive charging infrastructure could make it a workable solution, but that would involve waiting for a shorter range Tesla Model 3, something I was not prepared to do as our 2006 Prius was reaching an age where reduced reliability might occur.

This narrowed the options down to either a Chevy Volt or a Prius Prime (although a Kia Optima, Kia Niro, or Hyundai Ioniq PHEV might have also made the cut). . . .

He gives his reasons for choosing the Prime instead of the Volt.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Re: 2017 Prius Prime PHEV

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:30 pm

June U.S. Prime sales via IEVS: 2,237 (2017, ? May '18, 2,924).
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”