mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Official Honda Clarity FCEV/BEV/PHEV thread

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Question: Does anyone know where the charge plug-in port is located on this car?

Anyways, I am surprised the Clarity PHEV isn't getting the attention it deserves.
It is a large and spacious vehicle, very comparable to the width of Tesla Model S and has a higher ground clearance which I prefer over the Model S lowered chassis. Assuming the trunk space isn't robbed by the size of the battery, this car is definitely a better choice over a small compact hatchback EV.

40 miles on electric alone is good enough for me, and I am just tired of the compact hatchback experience...

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 am

mxp wrote:Question: Does anyone know where the charge plug-in port is located on this car?

Anyways, I am surprised the Clarity PHEV isn't getting the attention it deserves.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future-ca ... -in-hybrid shows it on the front drivers side fender.

I think I saw the first Clarity Electric for the first time in my life at the Cupertino EVent, pulling into a parking spot. Unfortunately, I couldn't step away to confirm it was the electric version as I was waiting for a Bolt test drive and I think a woman who seemed quite interested in the Bolt was talking to me and some DGDG dealer staff.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

GRA

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I've yet to see a BEV Clarity, and the 47 mile AER PHEV isn't on sale yet. Assuming Honda doesn't price it ridiculously high the way they did with the Accord PHEV, it should provide strong competition for the Volt, for those who want or need more room and don't mind the looks.

P.S. Last Thursday, during the occasional evening commute PEV count I do, I saw 3 Clarity FCEVs, and no Mirais. 5 Primes (and 10 PiPs) though, and the Volt 2 finally exceeded the total of Volt 1s. I don't have my tally handy, but it was something like 13 to 12, putting the Volt nameplate in 1st place that night. The LEAF came in first for a particular generation model, mainly because it's been around so long, with 24. I think the Model S was in 2nd place with about 17 or so. Only a couple Model X, but the e-Golf was well represented.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:35 pm

IEVS hasn't posted September Clarity FCEV sales yet. I found one site which claimed 31, but they also showed only 41 for August when IEVS had 56, so I don't know how accurate that is. If accurate, that would make 463 YTD. IEVS has 35 Clarity BEVs for September, so as expected their sales aren't going to set the world on fire. [Update]. IEVS now shows 14 Clarity FCEV leases in September, so that would make the YTD 446 rather than 463. Not sure why the big dropoff vs. the Mirai (184 in Sept.), as I still see far more Clarity FCEVs than Mirais around here.
Last edited by GRA on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Saw my first Clarity BEV in the wild last Thursday. I still have trouble conceiving of any rational reason why someone would want one, given the current or soon to be available alternatives.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”