GRA

Re: Official Honda Clarity FCEV/BEV/PHEV thread

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:36 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:
finman100 wrote:I've seen the Clarity EV in person here in OR. ugly.

Just looked at a picture. This is partly why hybrid and EV are looked down on by much of the public. Thing looks ugly as hell, and covering part of your rear wheel with sheet metal didn't look cool decades ago and still doesn't now.

Yes, why Honda and Toyota felt they needed to make seriously ugly AFVs is beyond me, but it certainly doesn't help sales prospects. OTOH, this past week I passed by Toyota and Honda dealers, and there had to be 50-100 Primes on the former's lot, and 10 or a dozen Clarity PHEVs on the latter's, so they obviously think there's a market here. I didn't see any of the BEV or FCEV Clarity versions, but I wasn't looking that hard. IMO the Prime's the best looking of the bunch, and the only one that I could buy without doing so in spite of its looks. The regular 4th gen. Prius, the Mirai and any of the Claritys fall into the latter category. The Clarity's looks are at least partly due to aero considerations. but if people avoid buying it because they think it's ugly it doesn't matter how efficient it is.

However, the Clarity PHEV's January sales (594) are fairly brisk, and as expected far better than the BEV (203), as aside from the looks the car provides good competition for the Volt. IEVS still isn't providing any sales info for the FCEV. One source other than IEVS shows 853 total U.S. Clarity sales for January, so if IEVS numbers for the BEV and PHEV are correct, that would mean 56 FCEVs were leased.
Last edited by GRA on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

finman100 wrote:longer range. ha. that's a good one. driving the full range of a hydrogen car will get you stranded. you know, 'cause there are so many places to re-fuel after that initial "fill" (sarcasm). Travel cross-country in one yet? <snip>

Assuming you're one of the rare people who needs to do this, that's why you get 7 days of free rentals a year. Besides, why drive X-C when you could fly?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 am

Honda leased about 50% as many H2 FCV Clarities in 2017 as they imagined they would: FCEV's [sic] Full Year 2017:
EV Sales wrote:Honda Clarity FCEV - 524 units were registered in 2017, well above the 2016 numbers, its landing year, but below expectations (1.000 units in 2017). But the interesting thing here is that Honda, maybe realizing the upcoming disaster, decided to make the car available also as PHEV and BEV. And both Plug-in versions are outselling the Fuel Cell...
More likely Honda doesn't WANT to make any more H2 FCV versions because of how much they lose each time the lease one. Alternatively, they simply CAN'T make more than that.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm

RegGuheert wrote:Honda leased about 50% as many H2 FCV Clarities in 2017 as they imagined they would: FCEV's [sic] Full Year 2017:
EV Sales wrote:Honda Clarity FCEV - 524 units were registered in 2017, well above the 2016 numbers, its landing year, but below expectations (1.000 units in 2017). But the interesting thing here is that Honda, maybe realizing the upcoming disaster, decided to make the car available also as PHEV and BEV. And both Plug-in versions are outselling the Fuel Cell...
More likely Honda doesn't WANT to make any more H2 FCV versions because of how much they lose each time the lease one. Alternatively, they simply CAN'T make more than that.

As noted upthread, Honda claimed they had a software issue that needed n update, so they'd stopped shipping them while doing so. Who knows whether or not that's the truth.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Yesterday I replaced another ICEV with the '18 Clarity Touring PHEV. I'm very impressed with this car.

My original plan was to get the '18 Leaf SL. But the range was still causing my wife too much anxiety regarding my commute. I'm convinced I could have made it work. But then there was this nagging recollection as to why I'm not driving our current Leaf for my commute. Back in 2013, I almost got the Volt but went for the Leaf because it could handle my commute. Then job changed and my commute is now minimum 63 miles one way, and often 80+ when I seek to avoid traffic with no workplace charging. I would have gone Bolt except too much about that car was wrong. And I concluded I didn't really want to wait until Leaf starts selling 200+ mile EVs. I like the '18 Leaf. But having to 'make it work' while stressing out my wife and then worrying about degradation impacting my ability to 'make it work', and I decided to go with PHEV as the next ICEV replacement.

Of the PHEVs, the Clarity has a really good ride, power, car size, interior and styling. I can see why Honda sells so many cars.

Of the typical new car safety features, the only thing I'm wishing it had is the blind spot assist and the rear cross-traffic safety that a lot of the competitors are offering. And for blind spot, it does have a camera based system addressing the right side. Jury is still out on whether that is an improvement, not as good, adequate or what.

Part of me really wanted to go with the Prius Prime based on how happy we've been with a HIghlander Hybrid we have. But looking at it again, the styling is just a bit too funky and the interior wasn't as nice and the power/performance wasn't there. Yes, it would have been a fine car. But I felt that the Clarity was better for the money.

At least it is still a good step forward and will greatly reduce the amount of gas that I burn on my commute. And when I run errands around town, it has plenty of EV only range to not burn any gas and be powered solely by my home solar panels.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

r1234567
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2013

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 am

We just got a Honda clarity phev. I started a fb group but I’m not sure if it’s okay to link here.

GRA

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 pm

February Clarity sales, per IEVS:

PHEV, 881
FCEV, 243 (vs. 27 last Feb. Apparently, they got the software issue resolved, and the FCEV is available again).
BEV, 104

As expected the PHEV is the top seller, and as at least Honda suspected would happen, the FCEV outsold the BEV. The Clarity FCEV even outsold (leased) the Mirai, which moved 166 in February. I expect the new Hyundai Nexo FCEV to outsell both when it arrives, assuming it's priced competitively.

GRA

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:45 pm

March Clarity sales, per IEVS:

PHEV, 1,061
FCEV, 121
BEV, 48

Sales of the FCEV (down from 243) and BEV (down from 104) both sank in March compared to February, but the PHEV set a new monthly record with. up from 881 last month and 898 in December. The BEV looks likely to continue sinking into oblivion. The FCEV outsold (leased) the Mirai again (83), although the numbers for both were small.

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:40 pm

GRA wrote:March Clarity sales, per IEVS:

FCEV, 121
Just like Toyota with the Mirai, Honda sold exactly half as many H2 FCV Clarities as last month.

It's good to see the numbers moving in the right direction for these things!
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 pm

DarthPuppy wrote:Yesterday I replaced another ICEV with the '18 Clarity Touring PHEV. I'm very impressed with this car.

Sounds like a good choice; I hope it works well for a long time.

I chose the Prius Prime. I don't think the Clarity was available when I bought my car but I still would have bought the Toyota today for the reliability and outstanding value and since fossil fool use is lower in the Prime for my use pattern. I suppose that means I'm more of a Civic/Corolla type person than an Accord/Camry. And spending less on the Prime leaves more money for my Model 3 when it arrives ;-)
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”