edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 am

Not bad looking, IMO.

More importantly to me, it looks like the aerodynamics will allow m/kWh at freeway speeds superior to the LEAF, and far superior to the KIA Soul.

I'll be interested in the BEV version, assuming it has (at least) the Soul's 30+ kWh pack.

Moderators: Official thread?

Hyundai’s new eco-car, the Ioniq, was recently spotted at a commercial shoot in southern California.

The Ioniq, set to debut in South Korea next month, has not been shown in public.

The sedan stays true to a recent rendering with a sloping roofline and a raised rear deck, which hints at a hatchback-like profile.

Featuring a striking gloss-black hexagonal grill, the Ioniq follows much of Hyundai’s current design language.

The Ioniq will offer a choice of three electrified powertrains: a hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicle...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015122 ... california

Gallery:

http://www.autonews.com/gallery/2015122 ... ofile=1275
no condition is permanent

asimba2
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2014

Re: Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:02 pm

I am very excited about this car. Our friends have new Elantras and Sonatas and they are very nice cars. I have really enjoyed my LEAF ownership experience but would like my next EV to have three things including 1) better looks (the Ioniq delivers there), 2) more range and 3 ) less battery degradation. I don't expect Hyundai to disappoint, so the Ioniq may be my next EV.

edatoakrun

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:08 am

Sure sounds like Hyundai may be planning to move beyond compliance levels of BEV production:

Hyundai: Ioniq highway mpg to top Prius

...The Ioniq, which sports a one-motor, one-clutch setup, will deliver better highway fuel economy than the Prius, the world's best-selling hybrid, said Yang Woong-chul, Hyundai's global r&d chief.

The car, which will be launched this month, offers one body type with three electrified drivetrain options: a traditional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all-electric variant...

"Our hybrid is a better fit for American driving situations," Yang told Automotive News here near Hyundai's r&d center. "When it is announced, the whole world will be surprised."

Globally, the regular hybrid is expected to be the Ioniq's top-selling version, Yang said. The other drivetrains will trail, with the plug-in hybrid likely to sell better than the EV in Europe, while the EV is projected to outsell the plug-in hybrid in the U.S., he said...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016010 ... -top-prius

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:22 am

Given South Korea's interest in keeping things "in the family", I'll place money the battery manufacturer will be LG, possibly Samsung. While I was in South Korea, the only things I saw that were American-made were the American Standard toilets. Seriously.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

edatoakrun

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:06 am

aarond12 wrote:Given South Korea's interest in keeping things "in the family", I'll place money the battery manufacturer will be LG, possibly Samsung. While I was in South Korea, the only things I saw that were American-made were the American Standard toilets. Seriously.

Click the link.

Already been announced:

...All three versions of the Ioniq will use lithium polymer batteries made by South Korean supplier LG Chem, Yang said. The polymer structure is safer than the traditional lithium ion batteries used by some rivals, Yang said...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016010 ... -top-prius

edatoakrun

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:33 am

It doesn't look like Hyundai is tiring of releasing teasers for its upcoming Ioniq electrified vehicle. It's already released three batches of 'em, and now here's more – plus powertrain details...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/07/hyun ... de-3760655

A few new images in the gallery, but nothing more on the BEV specs.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:58 pm

While not an ugly car, the proportions make it look way too much like a Chevy Volt.

aarond12 wrote:Given South Korea's interest in keeping things "in the family", I'll place money the battery manufacturer will be LG, possibly Samsung. While I was in South Korea, the only things I saw that were American-made were the American Standard toilets. Seriously.

I was in Seoul a few months ago and I saw several American-made cars. Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee and the current-gen Ford Explorer were the most noticeable of the American imports.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:04 pm

I like it a lot and I like the history Hyundai has with deep discounts on clear outs and cheap financing too!

I'd be happy with it if it used the same battery as the soul, with 27kWh and a shape like that I bet it will outperform the 30kWh leaf, especially in winter time when aero is way more important.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

edatoakrun

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Sounds like you'll be able to buy an Ioniq BEV before you can buy a Bolt.

In contrast with GM, Hyundai is still keeping awfully quiet about this BEV.

Hyundai will launch hybrid and all-electric versions of its five-door hatchback in the third quarter, said Dave Zuchowski, CEO of Hyundai Motor America...

Hyundai has not disclosed the range or power output of the EV...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016011 ... brid-in-q3

MT reporting a claim of 0.24 drag coefficient, far superior to LEAF, Bolt, or Soul (and matching the Tesla S) and it looks like the (relatively) low stance should mean further improvements in lowering frontal area and drag.

So I'd expect the Ioniq will probably have the highest freeway m/kWh of any BEV sold in the USA.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-hyu ... ls-394963/

edatoakrun

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm

minispeed wrote:...I'd be happy with it if it used the same battery as the soul, with 27kWh and a shape like that I bet it will outperform the 30kWh leaf, especially in winter time when aero is way more important.

Actually, the Soul pack tested to average ~30.5 kWh:

http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/fsev/batterySoul1920.pdf

I hope the Ioniq will have ~ the same capacity as the Soul, but in a more dense configuration.

The main mystery at this point, is where are they going to put the battery pack?

Reports (perhaps referring only to the PHEV?) say under the rear seat, but it might be tough to fit even ~30 kWh in that space.

I will be even more interested in the weight of the pack, and total vehicle weight.

If Hyundai uses LG cells with ~same density as GM has claimed for the Bolt, and doesn't weigh it down (and inflate the cost) by using an oversized pack, it could have a curb weight of close to 3,000 lbs.

Meaning it could come close to matching the much smaller i-3 for city/mountain efficiency, and actually be fun to drive.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”