rmay635703

Re: Nissan's e-Power range-extended Note BEV, for sale by 11/16 in Japan?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Our only solice is that it will probably be the easiest hybrid car to modify into a phev.

If it truly gets north of 60mpg EPA that is worthwhile, the only other car like that was the original Honda Insight .

Best car I ever owned.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I don't see how the engine could not always or almost always be running (to keep the pack charged), removing one of the major pluses of driving a hybrid. Either that or the car will request that you let it keep running while parked...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:55 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I don't see how the engine could not always or almost always be running (to keep the pack charged)...

That depends on the available battery capacity, which is not exactly clear.

The statement that Note's battery pack is "one twentieth the size of that of a Nissan LEAF" doesn't seem correct, as shown by photos.

In any case, quick and cheap may sell.

Nissan's e-Power: Brutal G-Forces In A Mini MPV

...A hybrid used to require a lot of space in the cars, and a lot of money from the customer. Nissan shrunk the hybrid to the size of a regular engine, and it fits in the engine compartment of the Nissan Note, a Mini-MPV. Its battery is one twentieth the size of that of a Nissan LEAF, and it fits below the front seats without eating into the ample legroom of the rear passengers.

So what? The answer will be provided at a testdrive. When I took an e-powered Note on a quick spin through Yokohama this afternoon, a torquey 187.3 foot lbs electric motor delivered face-flattening-forces...

...The Note lists in Japan at 1,772,289 Yen [$17,155], proof that hybrid no longer equals expensive....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmi ... 835d1c7305

We might see a rash of reports of teenagers driving e-Power Notes through storefronts, just like the ones we've already seen from Tesla X and S drivers...
no condition is permanent

AntronX
Delivery Date: 14 May 2016

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

rmay635703 wrote:Our only solice is that it will probably be the easiest hybrid car to modify into a phev.

True. Slapping 2 or 3 tesla modules into the trunk connected to HV bus via DC-DC converter will add 30 - 45 miles of electric range with only ~150 lbs of extra weight. This is much better technology to modify into EV compared to what Prius uses.

If it truly gets north of 60mpg EPA that is worthwhile, the only other car like that was the original Honda Insight ...

I have my doubts here. With electric conversion losses and the size of the car, it will barely get above 40 MPG on the highway. The city driving may see ~50 MPG based on what I can get in my Leaf coupled with realistic engine+generator efficiency.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:10 pm

The Prius PHEV can get 55-60MPG combined when not charged. If this info is all correct, then I guess the e-Power system uses a small pack for short bursts of power to accelerate, uses the ICE for highway driving, and the ICE then keeps working to recharge the pack at most of the times a Prius would shut the ICE off. I guess this would still allow for shutoff while stopped, but it must be a pretty delicate balancing act to keep the small pack charged and avoid demanding too much power from the ICE, which would make fuel economy drop. Not a car I'd want to drive up a mountain.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 am

Seems Nissan has reversed the concept of the range extended EV. It now appears it is more of a "electra-glide" transmission in the true sense? Basically an ICE powered car with advantages of torque, regenerative braking, efficiency? of an electric motor/gen set. Is it possible the efficiency of a high voltage battery/motor/gen set is greater than an automatic tranny?

"Going up the mountain" is a really good question!

What is the best descriptor for this one - how about BS-ICE - Battery Supported - Internal Combustion Engine. With the emphasis on "BS"?

Who would have thought?
2012 Leaf SL; 34,000 miles. 12 bars - Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

Foschas
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:05 am

Nissan is trying to disguise the Micra as an EV.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/02/nissan-t ... hout-plug/

edatoakrun

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:21 am

From what we know now, I don't think the e-Power is any more (or less) than a series hybrid ICEV.

The video below shows battery discharge and both ICEV and regen charging, on the far right side of the dash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDOpZDqtSM

It obviously maintains the battery charge in a narrow band, near ~80% (?) while you drive.

At ~21 minutes into this video, you can see the RPM efficiency range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zui1_LI-7Vg

So, the ICE apparently will run a higher % of total drive time than shown in the first video, when under higher sustained kW loads, but at the same ~optimum efficiency, at ~2,500 rpm.

I doubt it will have any problems climbing mountains, probably by drawing down battery capacity to lower levels than we saw in the first video, and maybe also by running the ICE at higher RPMs/lower efficiency than optimal on very long high-speed grades.

I would expect this serial design to exceed parallel hybrids which run their ICEs at less-efficient RPMs (and lower thermal efficiency) in city use, which is why it scores such high MPG in the slow speed/stop-and-go Japanese test cycle.

Whether e-Power will be able to ~ match parallel hybrids' MPG at American freeway speeds, will be interesting to see.

Major questions remaining:

What total/available battery capacity?

Is the fraction of available battery accessible under the driver's control?

Curb weight?

Just how quick is it?

If Nissan can sell an e-power that accelerates ~ as fast as a Bolt or Tesla 3, at about half the list price, it might be very tempting to those who want to buy BEVs primarily for their from-the-stoplight performance.

rmay635703

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:26 am

Still vaporware in the us and rated below gen Iv Prius .

Likely never see our shores but a $5000 maroon savings over a Prius c despite lower freeway may make it another econobox offering

edatoakrun

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:57 pm

edatoakrun wrote:...Just how quick is it?

If Nissan can sell an e-power that accelerates ~ as fast as a Bolt or Tesla 3, at about half the list price, it might be very tempting to those who want to buy BEVs primarily for their from-the-stoplight performance.

Perhaps a hint of how the E-power will be marketed.

Nissan already has a (hard to look at, if you ask me) NISMO version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JwEPriNM0

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”