arnis
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896

Re: Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:31 pm

If Jaguar wanted to they could partner with Tesla. CCS socket can support SuperCharger plug (non-US) with
a small internal modification costing 100-300€.
Tesla will happily accept vehicles at SC that can charge at 100kW rate. Charging fee directly to customer
plus SC management fee to Jag (or partnership with expansion). Optional extra buyers can pay.
This would also drastically add to Jags desirability. But there is not enough production capacity anyway.
Hoping one day CCS network will be mature and works inter-continentally without complications is already
a long shot. Expecting 100kW instead 50kW is half a lightyear away.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 am

Production model I-Pace debut confirmed:

2018 Jaguar I-Pace: production car set for Frankfurt debut

The Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV concept made its European debut at Geneva but the production car will star at Frankfurt in September 2017

A production version of the Jaguar I-Pace will be revealed this year and make its global debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

The I-Pace concept was a thinly veiled glimpse as to what we can expect from Jag’s first EV and design chief Ian Callum has previously said that the concept is around 80 per cent production ready in terms of styling.

Based on a completely new electrical architecture, the I-Pace also presented Jag’s design team with a blank canvas thanks to the absence of an engine and gearbox.

Like the bodywork, the basic power and performance figures should also remain largely unchanged and Jaguar has hinted that it’ll cost around 10-15 per cent more than an equivalent version of its F-Pace SUV, so expect a starting price around the £55,000 mark. Jaguar is taking details from interested customers right now, ahead of the production model arriving...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/i-p ... furt-debut

arnis wrote:If Jaguar wanted to they could partner with Tesla...

Why would any other BEV manufacturer want to "partner with Tesla"?

Compliance car production partnerships with TSLA didn't work out so well for Toyota or Mercedes...
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun

Sun May 21, 2017 10:58 am

Rumour has it that Jaguar built a test run of ~200 I-Paces, and the video at the last link below may be of one of these, giving us the first available images of the production car.

IMO, Jaguar is to be commended for not dumbing down the design (remember the Bolt prototype, and the disappointing production model?) and this is the most successful BEV design in terms of meeting:

"The challenge is to make an electric car do something that gasoline proportions and design can never do."

edatoakrun wrote:I'm disappointed that we still must drive BEVs that in terms of design are little more than clumsy imitations of ICEVs.

..."Soon, somebody may take the 'bold pill,' and something completely unique and fabulous will come out," says Howard Guy of Design Q, an automotive design studio that’s worked with Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Ferrari. "The challenge is to make an electric car do something that gasoline proportions and design can never do."...
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016100 ... c-makeover

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22702

Production Jaguar I-Pace Filmed In Monaco Without Camo

We already knew the production-spec Jaguar I-Pace would remain faithful to the design of the concept but now we have confirmation that it will be virtually unchanged.

Last week, the British automaker was spotted filming a promotional video for its advanced all-electric crossover on parts of Monaco's famed Grand Prix circuit...

Even though the video is low-resolution, the I-Pace in question looks identical to the concept that debuted at last year's Los Angeles Auto Show. It is even wearing the same shade of silver and is rolling on very similar wheels.

One of the most interesting things about the I-Pace's exterior design are its incredibly short front and rear overhangs. This has allowed the carmaker to maximize interior space, something customers should be very receptive of.

Power for the concept came from electric motors at both the front and rear axles, producing a combined 400 hp and 700 Nm of torque. The production car is expected to receive the same setup and should also receive the 90 kWh battery of the concept, allowing it to travel over 300 miles (482 km) on a single charge.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/produc ... ed-in.html

edatoakrun

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Interview with Karl-Friedrich Stracke, Magna Steyr's president of vehicle technology and engineering, on its collaboration with Jaguar on the I-Pace:

Jaguar ramps up, fine-tunes I-Pace to outduel Tesla

The launch of the upcoming Jaguar I-Pace will be interesting. Automakers usually avoid introducing a new vehicle on a new architecture powered by a new drivetrain. And there's another twist in the I-Pace launch: The aluminum-bodied, battery-powered crossover is being built in a new body shop at Magna Steyr's plant in Austria.

What could possibly go wrong?

Actually, to hear the story of how the I-Pace came to be, probably not much. Karl-Friedrich Stracke, Magna Steyr's president of vehicle technology and engineering, told me that Magna engineers have been involved in the I-Pace project almost from the start: While Jaguar Land Rover engineers created the vehicle, Magna engineers figured out the best way to build it.

"We were invited very early in the product development time frame in order to provide our process and manufacturing engineering proposals," Stracke said. "We tried to include the right processes in the product early on. In other words, do the product design the right way from the start...

Stracke said the first I-Paces are being built now. The vehicle will launch this year in Europe and arrive next year in the U.S. Journalists haven't yet driven the car, but Stracke has. I asked him what he thought of it.

"The acceleration is unbelievable; it is faster than Tesla. You press the accelerator and it pushes you back into the seat. The steering is very agile and nimble and you don't feel the mass of the car," Stracke said. "The chassis performance is gorgeous. It's unbelievably quiet. There is some fine-tuning going on with the suspension, but that's normal work. I am 100 percent certain it will challenge a lot of cars on the market today."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017061 ... duel-tesla

edit; ~the same article, without a paywall;

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/ ... ler-i-pace

edatoakrun

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Quite a lot of new info on the I-PACE (and a HINT on the sales price) in this interview with Wolfgang Ziebart:

The Road From High-Octane To High-Tech Is Dangerous. Father Of 'Tesla-Beater' Jaguar Says Why

... Ziebart realized that “an electric vehicle is fundamentally different from an ICE car. If you approach it with the standardized processes of the auto industry, you will have a hard time.“...

“We did not go down the usual route of developing a car and putting an electric motor in it, let alone using an existing platform,” said Ziebart. “Right from the start, we wanted to make a no compromise electric vehicle...

“It was clear that the vehicle needed two motors, one in the front, one in the back,” said Ziebart. “This gives you all the freedom to define the driving dynamics, a much better setup than in an ICE car with only one engine.”

For the motor, Ziebart’s initial intention was to buy it from a supplier, because after all, JLR “had no electric motor department.” It turns out, it did. JLR engineer Dr. Alex Michaelides “developed an ingenious concentric electric motor. It’s not the cheapest, but it is the lightest, most compact motor you can imagine,” Ziebart said. The battery cells come from LG Chem. The 90 kWh battery itself also was developed at JLR.

Despite falling battery prices, some 40% of the car’s cost is in the battery
, Ziebart told me. It’s true value however sits in a black box, the battery management system. “The development of our own battery management system, and especially its software, was very important to us” he said. “We did that completely in-house. The core know-how of an EV is the battery management system, and we keep that to ourselves.”...

Why the wait? If working prototypes have been shown for half a year, why do we have to wait into 2018 for the car?

“O.K., so you finally have that new car with all the bits it is supposed to be produced with. You also have something else: Some 3,000 minor quibbles, all in themselves no show stoppers, but in total, it’s not the quality a customer demands. For a truly refined car, you must work through these 3,000 nitpickings. And finally, you also need to be able to replicate it on a production line, which runs at one car every two minutes.”...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschm ... 9025827d94

So, if it has a ~100 kWh pack (with ~90 kWh available) at a cost of ~$200 per kWh, about $20 k for the pack, and about $50 k cost for the complete vehicle?

edatoakrun

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 pm

There is a profile image of the 3 Jaguar SUV's at the link below, which appears to be to scale, showing the relative vehicle dimensions.

It shows how the I-PACE has a larger cabin than the F, but about the same footprint as the baby E.

There's a lot of speculation that the I-PACE may be priced as high as to be in Tesla X territory, but the relatively low prices of the other SUVs below, and the other hints I've posted above, suggest to me Jaguar I-PACE could have a base list price in the low fifties, or maybe even just below $50 k.

If it's anywhere near that cheap, you can probably expect long waits for deliveries.

New Jaguar E-Pace Baby SUV Teased, Debuts July 13, Priced From $38,600

...According to Jaguar Design Director Ian Callum, “The combination of sports car looks with Jaguar performance will ensure that the E-Pace stands out. Every Jaguar is designed to excite the senses, and we think E-Pace will do just that, albeit with its own individual character.”

The Jaguar E-Pace will be unveiled on July 13th and U.S. pricing will start at $38,600. The latter figures means the entry-level crossover will undercut the F-Pace (priced at ~$42k) by $3,465 ...

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/entry- ... ebuts.html

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”