Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

11/15/16 edit:

Title changed to reflect Jaguar's new name, and since it is only about a foot shorter in length and ~3 inches less in width and height than a Tesla X, I don't think it should be called "compact"...

The amount of detail in the AC story below may indicate Jaguar's first entry in the luxury BESUV market really will be available in dealerships in only ~two years.

Jaguar E-Pace compact SUV will be Jaguar's first EV

Low-roofed, performance oriented electric E-Pace is set to go on sale in 2018; will use Formula E honed tech

Jaguar has been given the green light to launch a compact all-electric SUV by 2018, putting it ahead of its Range Rover sister brand in the race to get a battery-powered vehicle into showrooms.

The electric Jaguar is due to be revealed by the end of this year...

With the brand emphasising performance and handling prowess, the new electric Jaguar is set to get all-wheel drive. Although this new platform uses aluminium construction, it has little in common with the structures used to underpin JLR’s current generation of aluminium cars.

The front and rear crash structures, suspension mounting points and sills are all made of aluminium. However, much of the strength of the structure comes from the battery pack, which forms the backbone of the structure and takes up the whole floor area...

The front motor develops 114bhp and drives the front wheels through a single-speed transmission. The rear motor is good for 195bhp and drives through a two-speed ZF gearbox, adapted from the unit used by the BMW i8, Autocar understands. Combined output is around 308bhp, but torque hasn’t yet been revealed.

Twin motors should permit very dynamic tuning of this platform, offering torque vectoring for stability control and to help the car turn in to corners. It will also be possible to switch between front, rear and all-wheel drive almost instantaneously...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/jaguar-e-pace-compact-suv-will-be-jaguars-first-ev

Their new electric SUV has a name update along with HP, etc. ... a 90 kWh battery puts it in the upper end of what the Tesla Model X currently offers (they now have a 75, 90 and 100; dropped the 60) but it will be smaller and that rakish rear hatch will reduce the utility aspect; the side profile photo of it in the distance makes it appear a bit like a SUV version on BMW's i3 IMO.

Not sure exactly where you could charge this during a long trip (a guess would be with SAE DC stations if they could handle it) but 80% after 90 minutes for say 176 miles of range (stated EPA range is about 220) may still be a bit too long and not enough for some travelers. The existing Supercharger network that Tesla has in place (that continues to expand as well) may be still a big deciding factor until (and if) the new US Government effort to put in EV charging corridor is ever put in place for competitors.

No price given either but with a Tesla X 90D listing at $95K will assume it won't be significantly less but we'll see ... as this will be Jaguar's first, they may have an advantage if the Fed Tax Credit stays in place as they would have lots of these to sell here before hitting 200K as the timing seems to coincide with Tesla's Model 3 delivery ramp up.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/14/...ric-car-suv-unveiled-la-auto-show-2016-photos

JAGUAR_I-PACE_CONCEPT_Location_12sm.0.jpg

JAGUAR_I-PACE_CONCEPT_Location_17sm.0.jpg

jgolson_161114_1280_0013.0.jpg

redLEAF said:
Their new electric SUV has a name update ...
No price given either but with a Tesla X 90D listing at $95K will assume it won't be significantly less but we'll see ...
Jaguars's F-PACE starts at ~$42 k, so I would not be surprised if the I-PACE's "much lower (than Tesla X) " base price was somewhere near $60 k, before incentives.

Remember that (at least untill the laws are changed) Jaguar gets the same financial benefits from ZEV credits (and other government incentive programs) that have allowed other manufactures to (almost) give away three year leases on lower-priced BEVs.

...Jaguar has enjoyed strong U.S. sales of its 2017 F-PACE SUV, helping drive a 93 percent rise in year-over-year U.S. Jaguar sales from January until October
The I-PACE targets the same wealthy, environmentally aware consumers now driving Tesla's Model X SUV. But Eberhardt said Jaguar's vehicle will be "a much lower price point" than the most premium Model X offering, which fully loaded can cost about $130,000...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-la-jaguar-idUSKBN13A0C4

Jaguar's site with full details:

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/i-pace-concept-car/performance-technology.html

Saw this earlier today. Looks awesome! That article estimated the price at $70k.

This looks very attractive to me. I only recently learned about the Volvo PIH SUV and was thinking that would work well for us. If I can hold onto replacing until this is available, I will definitely look/test it and might get it. Drool...

Only way to really beat Tesla S/X performance is with better cooling.
Acceleration 4.0sec is good enough if it is sustainable for track use
(like guzzlerlovers always love to remind to Tesla owners).

Tesla already patented (free for use) motor that has cooling running
through the shaft to cool rotor (sole thing that really overheats).

The front motor develops 114bhp and drives the front wheels through a single-speed transmission. The rear motor is good for 195bhp and drives through a two-speed ZF gearbox, adapted from the unit used by the BMW i8, Autocar understands. Combined output is around 308bhp, but torque hasn’t yet been revealed.
These figures will lag far behind Tesla 90kWh models. Also that 2-speed transmission was not designed to be shifted in full power.
So Jaguar will only be a competitor with different performance figures and VERY limited fast charging capability.

If they release their vehicle without solving charging they will not get far. Like Toyota with Mirai.

Many misconceptions on this car are floating around, so i'd suggest you read Autocar's report:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/2018-jaguar-i-pace-electric-suv-revealed-plus-exclusive-autocar

2018 Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV revealed - plus exclusive Autocar images
The lowest-spec F-Pace starts out at ~$42k, so it's likely the I-PACE will be priced much closer to a similarly equipped Tesla 3 (when and if it is introduced) than to a Tesla X:

...the I-Pace exploits the packaging advantages of an electric powertrain to marry a sleek four-door bodystyle with generous cabin space, four-wheel drive capability and performance on a par with a rear-wheel-drive Jaguar F-Type R.

The definitive production version of the I-Pace will be revealed at the end of next year, with most of the concept’s key features likely to be carried over. The car will go on sale in 2018 at a price expected to be about 10-15% above that of an F-Pace of similar specification...
Drivetrain:

...The I-Pace Concept’s drive is provided by a pair of synchronous permanent magnet electric motors, one integrated into each axle and paired with a single-speed epicyclic transmission. The powertrain provides four-wheel drive, immediate response from a standstill and rapid torque distribution between the two axles.

Each motor produces the equivalent of 197bhp, meaning the I-Pace Concept has 395bhp and 516lb ft on tap. Jaguar’s claimed 0-60mph time for the car is 4.0sec...
kW accepted from DC:

...Jaguar has future-proofed the electrical architecture to accept higher-capacity charging than 50kW DC when such charging points become commonplace...
Pack design is clearly superior to all Teslas, IMO:

...Power is stored in a 90kWh lithium ion battery pack. The battery uses 36 pouch cells selected for their energy density and thermal performance. They operate at a lower heat, so they can run at a high performance for longer than cylindrical cells.

Jaguar said pouch cells offer excellent future development potential, especially in terms of energy density. This will enable greater range for a given size of battery, or deliver similar range to today but from a smaller, lighter pack.

The pack is liquid-cooled using a dedicated two-mode cooling circuit. In moderate ambient temperatures, the battery improves efficiency by relying only on a radiator to remove the heat generated by the cells. At higher temperatures, a chiller linked to the vehicle’s main air conditioning system provides greater cooling capacity to keep the battery in optimum condition...

The size is nearly identical to theTesla 3 in length and width, but being about 5 inches taller, having about 5 inches longer wheelbase, and with a rear hatch, it looks to have much more interior volume and utility.

...At 4680mm long, 1890mm wide and 1560mm tall, the I-Pace Concept is smaller in each dimension than the F-Pace, in particular its height. However, the most significant difference is in the wheelbase: Jaguar has pushed the electric car’s out to 2990mm, compared with the F-Pace’s 2874mm...

Jaguar has future-proofed the electrical architecture to accept higher-capacity charging than 50kW DC when such charging points become commonplace.

So Jaguar is another company that will just wait and see who will build 100kW CCS network? :roll:
Not going to happen in this decade.

Was at LA Auto Show today and saw this - somewhat. They had it on a raised podium so couldn't get that good of a look.

But I did get to look at the new F-Pace which I would think would be very similar to how the I-Pace will actually be when it hits the street as opposed to the concept version. If that is the case, I think it can work, though I wasn't too enthused with the F-Pace styling while the I-Pace I found to be rather attractive.

However, I doubt I will wait all the way until late 2018 for my next car so this will probably be too late.

Estimate of 2019 production, and expected the ~500 km (~311 Miles) range and 1,000+ cycle battery life reported in the stories below.

No real surprises, but all good indications of Jaguar's efforts, IMO.

Jaguar will build I-Pace electric SUV with Magna Steyr, CEO says

Jaguar will build its forthcoming I-Pace full-electric crossover with contract manufacturer Magna Steyr in Austria, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth told Automotive News Europe.

Jaguar and its sibling brand, Land Rover, signed a contract to build vehicles at Magna's Graz plant in July 2015 but at that time JLR didn't specify which models the would be produced there. Automotive News Europe sister publication Automobilwoche reported then that Magna would manufacture an electric vehicle and the new Land Rover Discovery for JLR.

Speth confirmed that the I-Pace would be one of two vehicles that Magna builds for JLR. He declining to confirm whether the second model would also be an EV or whether the car would be for the Land Rover brand...

Construction has already begun on an extension to Magna's production facilities in Graz to prepare for output of two JLR models. German magazine Automobil Produktion reported this week that marketing group IHS Automotive foresees production of about 13,000 I-Pace SUVs with Magna in 2019, the EV's first full year on the market.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161118/COPY01/311189930/jaguar-will-build-i-pace-electric-suv-with-magna-steyr-ceo-says

The Jaguar I-Pace won’t ever need its battery replaced… theoretically

...you won’t ever need to replace the I-Pace’s battery pack. At least, that’s the view of Dr Wolfgang Ziebart, Technical Design Director Product Development at Jaguar.

“We expect the battery will last the entire lifetime of the car. If you look at the specification of the cells – 1000 cycles of full-span zero-to-100 per cent – that’s what the battery pack can do.

“In our case, as we have a range of 500km, 1000 cycles would mean the battery has a life of 500,000km, which should exceed the life of the vehicle...

Ziebart believes it’s even better than that, given the fact that standard 1000 cycles are based on a (fully discharged to 100%) fast-charge using a high-powered 100kW charge in one hour continuously...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/500419/the-jaguar-i-pace-wont-ever-need-its-battery-replaced-theoretically/

Not coincidentally (?) the I-Pace should easily exceed the 350 mile UDDS range required to earn the maximum of four CA ZEV credits.

Many 2011-12 LEAF packs also may actually exceed 1,000 cycles (IF you define ~70% of initial capacity EOL) but that of course will generally happen after only 60,000 to 120,000 miles, depending on climate, driving patterns, and actual initial battery capacity.

Two articles below worth reading on JLR's BEV plans.

I give Jaguar credit for taking huge risks with the I-Pace design.

JLR plans to power into plug-ins
Company steers clear of self-driving vehicles

...Speth said the U.S. will be the major market for the high-performance I-Pace...

What's "not clear," Speth said, is whether customers will accept the new design direction of the I-Pace, especially its short hood. Buyers are used to Jaguar's long hood for "the more powerful horses," he said...
IMO, the I-pace design works, and I hope its acceptance will mean we will soon not have to see BEVs continue to display their huge empty frunks , in mimicry of the engine bays of ICEVs.

More substantially, the article below explains JLRs other BEV objectives, and specifically the functional reasons why BEV designs based on those of ICEVs should be relegated to history:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20161121/OEM05/311219957/jlr-plans-to-power-into-plug-ins
Jaguar makes EV platform adaptable...

Jaguar's new electric platform can be easily adopted for a broad range of vehicles, says the head of the brand's electric vehicle program.

"The platform can either be stretched or compacted, so it is a good platform for other vehicles," said Wolfgang Ziebart, technical design director of product development.

Jaguar showed its first vehicle on the platform, the I-Pace Concept compact crossover EV, last week at the auto show here. The production version will be shown in late 2017 and go on sale in the U.S. in 2018. The U.S. will be the biggest market and account for about half of global sales, Ziebart said.

Although Jaguar executives would not disclose an annual sales volume target, "it will be substantial," rather than a niche vehicle, said Joe Eberhardt, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover North America.

The I-Pace is 2 inches shorter than the F-Pace crossover that went on sale this year. But it has the interior room of the Range Rover long-wheelbase model, Ziebart said.

Jaguar opted to develop the electric platform first and "from a clean sheet of paper," so it could "choose the best in concepts and components," Ziebart said.

"Many cars on the market resemble combustion cars or are built on platforms used by combustion cars," he said.

"We are not developing this car with the battery development of today but of what will be available by 2018," Ziebart said...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161121/OEM05/311219959/jaguar-makes-ev-platform-adaptable

That comment suggests to me that JLR may have anticipated progress in what has been a major problem with large-capacity pack BEVs, excessive pack and vehicle weight, which retards both efficiency and driving dynamics.

IF Jaguar can keep the curb weight below ~4,000 LBS (dare I hope for ~3600?) I may even be able to overcome my frugal instincts and buy one as the last car I'll ever drive myself, before I buy the self-driving vehicle I'll want to take me through my final years...

Jaguar now has a fairly comprehensive I-PACE announcement on their site.

From the FAQ's:

How much is the I-PACE likely to cost?
Final pricing will not be confirmed until closer to the launch of the I-PACE. While electric propulsion systems can be twice as expensive as conventional systems, we assume the I-PACE will be priced 10-15% above a similarly powered and equipped Jaguar F-PACE.
http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/i-pace-concept-car/index.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CRM&utm_campaign=KMI&utm_content=I-PACE

To me, that suggests a base price in the $50k to $60 k range, meaning it may actually cost less than a comparably equipped (with ~90 kWh pack and AWD options, if offered) Tesla model 3.

For the first time in over 50 years, you might actually choose a Jaguar over it's most direct competitor on the basis of both price and dependability...

Not much new in this progress report, but this story does give a good perspective on the future prospects of expensive luxury/performance BEVs.

Jaguar To Surprise Electric Vehicle World With Shocking New 2018 Entry

A surprising company aims to lead a rapid expansion in the premium electric car sector in 2018.

Early in that year Jaguar, the relatively small British luxury car maker owned by Tata Motors, says it will debut its first electric model ahead of EVs coming from much larger rivals, Audi, BMW and Mercedes...

According to Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth, the storied brand is “now in pole position for the EV era, with an early 2018 on sale date.”

Though there are natural comparisons to be made to Tesla, which has pioneered the modern electric car, the fact remains that this tiny California company only sells a small number of very expensive, $100,000-plus EVs and its long term financial prospects are uncertain...

The EVs in the pipeline from the well-established European premium automakers are expected to be more affordable than Tesla’s high-end models and therefore be in reach of a broader consumer audience.

In Jaguar’s case the rakishly designed I-PACE is intended to be a sporty crossover, in keeping with the brand’s image...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmccormick/2016/12/22/jaguar-to-surprise-electric-vehicle-world-with-shocking-new-2018-entry/#6645caaa3bf3

I'm snowed-in today (formerly a regular occurrence in winter, but due to drought, for the first time since 12/14) and Four-Wheel Drive is in my thoughts.

It sounds like the I-PACE will be the first 4WD BEV to market that might not be prohibitively expensive, so I'm watching its development closely.

A new redI-PACE will appear at Geneva next week:

Jaguar just gave a closer look at its Tesla rival coming in 2018 — and it's gorgeous

Jaguar just gave us a closer look at the Tesla rival it plans to release in 2018.

Jaguar first showed off the I-PACE, the automaker's electric SUV concept, at the Los Angeles Auto Show last November. At the time, Jaguar said the concept will serve as the basis for a production model set to arrive next year.

On Thursday, Jaguar released new images of the concept in an absolutely gorgeous red that allows the car to look more like a production vehicle...
http://www.businessinsider.com/jaguar-i-pace-electric-suv-prototype-red-photos-features-2017-3/#behold-jaguars-i-pace-a-five-seat-suv-here-it-looks-somewhat-similar-to-teslas-model-x-1

More details below. Weight and battery source may only be guesswork, IMO.

New 2018 Jaguar I-Pace: All the details on Jaguar's electric SUV and fresh pictures

...While we won’t see the car in production form until the end of 2017, it’s not expected to change far beyond the car we see here, and the I-Pace name will stick around.

The basic power and performance figures should remain largely unchanged too, and Jaguar has hinted that it’ll cost around 10-15% more than an equivalent version of its F-Pace SUV...

The I-Pace features an all-new aluminium platform, and the compact size of the electric motors – each one has an outer diameter of 234mm and a length of 500mm – allow plenty of space in the cabin.

Much of the car’s hardware is derived from the F-Pace SUV, including the double-wishbone front suspension and the compact Integral Link rear suspension. The Lithium-Ion batteries have been developed in-house and use pouch cells for their energy density and efficiency. They’ll give 80 per cent charge in 90 minutes and 100 per cent in just over two hours from a 50kW DC charging point, and they sit low in the car to give the car a centre of gravity that’s 120mm lower than the F-Pace.

Weight is an issue – the I-Pace is expected to weigh around 2,100kg – but straight-line performance won’t be and Jaguar promises that the car will handle ‘as a Jaguar should’...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/i-pace/97706/new-2018-jaguar-i-pace-all-the-details-on-jaguars-electric-suv-and-fresh

Seen on the streets of London ...

The I-Pace concept has electric motors in the front and rear axles with a combined output of 400 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque, which will allow it to get from 0-60 mph in just 4.0 seconds if you're in a hurry. The compact SUV/hatch is powered by a 90-kWh lithium-ion battery, and Jaguar expects it to have an EPA-estimated range of 220 miles on a full charge; an 80 percent charge is said to take just 90 minutes, with a full recharge in just two hours when a 50-kW DC fast-charging terminal is used.

In comparison, a current Tesla Model S (or X) will charge to 80% in about 40 minutes or to add 170 miles of range in about 30 minutes -- similar to Chevy's Bolt, the 'wait' at the existing DC chargers (plus the fact that a number of them will simply stop after 30 minutes so you need to start a new charging session -- 4 X for a full charge apparently!!!) will be a deciding factor to some who cross shop this new crop of longer range EV's once the Model 3 is available. Also, if their 90-kWh battery only gets 220 miles that's a lot more inefficient (or car is much heavier) than Tesla's 90D which gets around 300 miles -- of course Tesla also introduced their 100D which exceeds the 300 mile range as well

http://autoweek.com/article/green-c...cept-previews-2018-electric-suv#ixzz4ba9bamx4

i-pace-london_018.jpg

CUV's are indeed what is top of mind with many potential buyers so this could be a winner for Jaguar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTbdShA8QU8

Detailed brochure also tends to indicate how close this concept is to the production model:

http://www.jaguarusa.com/Images/Jaguar_ebrochure_i-pace-18MY_US_tcm97-346994.pdf

Not a single word about faster than 50kW charging rates. Slightly worrisome.
If it can't accept charge at 100kW CCS speed, that will be a big reason to avoid this vehicle,
as it cripples the vehicle from being long-range EV (as soon as CCS infrastructure evolves)
to being medium-range EV that can go 100-200 mile radius around your home.
Charging for 1½ hours every few hours is considerably worse than charging 40-50 minutes.

so this awesome looking vehicle charges as fast as my Leaf? fail.

CCS only? fail again.

okay 2 strikes and I haven't even got to the price tag. oops, strike 3. fail.

What the what, Jaguar? You gonna let people fend for themselves in the vast REAL quick charge desert that encompasses most of the world?

Granted it sure will look cool sitting there stranded while the Tesla's fuel up in 30 min at a Supercharger. Just get on board with the Tesla charging network and be done with it. Gees, why are these wannabe "EV" producers so willing to fail?

Oh, wait, is it oil and gas industry? damn.

The I-PACE in the gallery linked below is apparently one of the ~200 production prototypes already produced for road-testing purposes.

The article is an excellent summary of what was already known, and adds many specifications unreported previously.

Drivetrain/ battery pack details suggest that Tesla products may seem primitive in comparison, and aggressive pricing would may undercut Tesla as well, when and if it ever brings out a Y model as a competitor.

Jaguar I-Pace: new pics of production-spec electric SUV

...Jaguar has future-proofed the electrical architecture to accept higher-capacity charging than 50kW DC when such charging points become commonplace. The charging socket is situated in the car’s front wing.

Jaguar’s engineers designed and developed the motors in-house to achieve the compactness, efficiency and power density they desired. The motors have an outer diameter of 234mm, are 500mm long and weigh about 38kg. Permanent magnet motors were chosen in preference to the induction motors used by the likes of Tesla because the efficiency is fractionally better and the weight is lower.

Power is stored in a 90kWh lithium ion battery pack. The battery uses 36 pouch cells selected for their energy density and thermal performance. They operate at a lower heat, so they can run at a high performance for longer than cylindrical cells.

Jaguar said pouch cells offer excellent future development potential, especially in terms of energy density. This will enable greater range for a given size of battery, or deliver similar range to today but from a smaller, lighter pack.

The pack is liquid-cooled using a dedicated two-mode cooling circuit. In moderate ambient temperatures, the battery improves efficiency by relying only on a radiator to remove the heat generated by the cells. At higher temperatures, a chiller linked to the vehicle’s main air conditioning system provides greater cooling capacity to keep the battery in optimum condition...

The price of the production car is expected to be about 10-15% above that of an F-Pace of similar specification. Jaguar remains tight-lipped on precise details, but the I-Pace is expected to cost around £60,000...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/2018-jaguar-i-pace-electric-suv-revealed-plus-exclusive-autocar

Back