JasonA
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013

Re: Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I see two different things here...

1. YES! Tesla started off (small) but those SpC's were always BIGGER than the car's largest spec battery was so at least I'm charging at a 1c or avg rate.

I love how all these Bolt (and soon to be Leaf e-PLUS owners) will be sitting at all the CURRENTLY DEPLOYED 50kw stations with 60KwH and larger batteries and just sitting... and sitting... and sitting.. and sitting.. --- That was my nit picking..

2. You can STILL get free SpC referals and both our S & X have it. Don't even compare ANY OTHER company's to Tesla's SpC rollout.. DON'T EVEN START.

3. Not even Off-Topic but a great laugh!--- When Bjorn was charging an Ampera (Bolt) from dead and getting WOW!! 39kw!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o

35m:18sec or so.. I guess this is what non Tesla owners come to expect... .80/c charge rate.. :lol:
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

GRA

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm

JasonA wrote:I see two different things here...

1. YES! Tesla started off (small) but those SpC's were always BIGGER than the car's largest spec battery was so at least I'm charging at a 1c or avg rate.

I love how all these Bolt (and soon to be Leaf e-PLUS owners) will be sitting at all the CURRENTLY DEPLOYED 50kw stations with 60KwH and larger batteries and just sitting... and sitting... and sitting.. and sitting.. --- That was my nit picking..

2. You can STILL get free SpC referals and both our S & X have it. Don't even compare ANY OTHER company's to Tesla's SpC rollout.. DON'T EVEN START.

3. Not even Off-Topic but a great laugh!--- When Bjorn was charging an Ampera (Bolt) from dead and getting WOW!! 39kw!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o

35m:18sec or so.. I guess this is what non Tesla owners come to expect... .80/c charge rate.. :lol:

Yes, BEVs with limited charge rates are not going to be good road-trip vehicles. The LEAF's out forever unless it gets an active TMS, and the Bolt needs to have the option of having its max. charge rate increased, even if that results in greater degradation. Hopefully that will come along in the MLU. From this point onward, any BEV which wants to be considered road-trip worthy will need to be able to max. charge at ca. 1.5C+ and/or100kW or more, and not taper until 80% or more.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

JasonA
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm

I agree with you (finally for a change!!) 100%

Get these new 100kw NexGen combo CHAdeMO/CCS units out there and start cranking away!

Sad state of affairs for the Baker station.. just get it done already!
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

GRA

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 pm

JasonA wrote:I agree with you (finally for a change!!) 100%

Get these new 100kw NexGen combo CHAdeMO/CCS units out there and start cranking away!

Sad state of affairs for the Baker station.. just get it done already!

Yeah, I don't know what happened with that - it was supposed to be done in March or April and eVgo was continuously pimping it, and then they disappeared into a black hole and all we've heard about since are EA's high power QCs. Baker is going to be one of the most useful QCs around right away, for high income people who are likely to buy Jag, Audi and especially Porsche BEVs that can handle high-powered CCS and who are heading to Vegas.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Via ABG:
2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Drive Review | The future is now
Jaguar beats the Germans in bringing a Tesla-fighter to market
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/13/2019-jaguar-ipace-first-drive-review/

Jaguar's new all-electric I-Pace may be one of the brand's most significant breakthroughs. This is not just because the handsomely muscular all-wheel-drive crossover can travel 240 miles on a single charge to its 90 kWh battery. Or because it will cost a competitive $69,500 before federal and state incentives. . . .

Has anyone else seen a U.S. price quoted yet? Here's some more, just because I haven't seen this kind of 'Hunter S. Thompson wannabe' car writing since C&D in the '80s:
Jaguar has always been adept at splitting the suspension difference between German plank and American couch, and the I-Pace follows this general trend, providing a ride that is connected without feeling overly harsh, even on the optional 22-inch wheels and Pirelli P-Zero tires. (Note to self: Reserve the Instagram handle Donk-E.) But the I-Pace does something interesting. Due to its high seating position, and the low placement of its drivetrain components, it provides the sensation that the mechanical action of forward momentum is within the driver's direct and immediate control, but taking place elsewhere. There is no delay, or vagueness — the inputs are precise and it goes where you want and expect. But it induces the odd feeling that you are riding atop a maglev hovercraft. It's futuristic, uncanny, and fun.

This slightly eldritch quality is enhanced by the vehicle's Active Sound Design, an ersatz soundtrack resembling the vague and distant thrum of an entire summer camp playing with Hot Wheels cars, that emanates from the I-Pace's stereo. It's not exactly present under ordinary circumstances, though it's not exactly not present. But it truly kicks in under hard acceleration, and continues its portamento for as long as you keep the throttle nailed, which can be a long time in a car with only one gear. (You can turn it off, but it takes about a dozen actions on the upper touchscreen of the I-Pace's dual-LCD "flight deck.") This is intriguingly disconcerting on the track ­— yes we drove the I-Pace on the track — though this may not be the most unnerving thing about hustling a very quick, 5,000-pound SUV around a technically sophisticated European race circuit. Imagine a full-grown rhinoceros that had been trained, since birth, to wakeboard. It defies logic, and it does not seem to display joy in its circumstance, but it performs admirably for its category. . . .

This last system is known by the moniker "Creep Mode," though this term more aptly applies to the trucklet's integration with Amazon's omniscient Alexa. As an engineer giddily told us, Alexa can "learn" your behavior, and remind you to do things it detects you doing habitually, like stopping for an unhealthy snack or calling your side piece on your way home from work. This meddling interference in our personal life would detract from our time in the I-Pace's cabin, but, again, it can be turned off. . . .

Most of all, the I-Pace proves, by being an existing vehicle from a major manufacturer, that our fancy electric future has actually arrived. Obviously, adoption will not occur instantaneously. When the elevator was invented, people gasped in horror until personal audience or experience demonstrated that riding in the levitating capsule did not require signing a blood oath to Satan. Disruption is difficult. But, for a change, Jaguar is leading our voyage. And if that requires vroomy ersatz sound effects, we're willing to accept the bargain.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:53 pm

GRA wrote:...Has anyone else seen a U.S. price quoted yet?...

The configurator has been up for weeks...months?

Again:

https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/mod ... 5255983257

Another interesting review from a Tesla owner, google translation.

Jaguar I-PACE test run

I have had the opportunity to test Jaguar I-Pace today. (Actually before the Swedish Press Test Run, although the Swedish press had been in place at the International Test Run)

It's quite exciting to get along with this and, yes, I'm already there, see the first real challenger of Tesla.
Yes, I said so. Read it again. This is actually a challenger / an alternative to Tesla!

In this post, I will not focus so much on the technical / specifications, but rather go on a little more "feeling"

But in short:
Basic price - 819,000 kr
Battery: 90 kWh Lithium ion (Liquid cooled)
Two engines, combined power 400 hp / 696 Nm
0-100 km / h - 4.8 sec
Top speed 200 km / h
Range 48 mil (WLTP mixed)
Consumption 212 kWh / km (WLTP mixed)
Fast charge - CCS - Theoretically 100 kW

But now over to the other. Feeling.

The test run took place at Trosta Park - A test / training facility north of Stockholm.
We were given the opportunity to test a number of maneuvers on track as well as to know the cars on really cool and beautiful country roads...

The first thing you get the feeling of sitting in the car is how well built it is.
You who run a Jaguar in recent years understand what I mean. Not only compared to Tesla, but they maintain a generally high standard of furnishings, details, feel, etc.

In my Tesla, I have the "Next Gen" chairs, which I like a lot, but in honesty they do not give much side support on active driving.
However, the I-Pac chairs provide really good side support and you are really well in them, both for active driving and for more relaxed driving...

To the silly "flirting" with the ICE drivers there are, for example, a fake motor noise. There seems to always be a little bit there, in the driving mode, "dynamic", it increases significantly and you did not know better, you could almost believe you had a petrol engine under the hood.
BUT, you can reduce engine noise, but do not turn off completely.
I still LOVE bouncing engines, but in an electric car I want to have it soundless...

http://teslaclubsweden.se/jaguar-i-pace-provkord/

The "fake motor noise" is not really ICE-like, to my ears.

While the idea of generated noise also seemed a little silly to me on first impression, it may not be so bad an idea for BEVs to report rapid acceleration to BEV drivers audibly, if the road noise alone is insufficient.

Think about the recent Bay Area TSLA fatality where the car lost track of the car it was following in the lane in front, then accelerated into the freeway divider, while on autopilot.

If the driver had plainly heard that acceleration, might it have elicited a timely reaction to override the autopilot failure, before the crash?
Last edited by edatoakrun on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no condition is permanent

GRA

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
GRA wrote:...Has anyone else seen a U.S. price quoted yet?...

The configurator has been up for weeks...months?

Again:

https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/mod ... 5255983257

Can't say as I ever checked it, as I knew I wasn't going to be getting one.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Already listed in the Costco car buying program. Going to take a bit before I push the button to get an actual quote.
Do Jaguar dealers discount much on the other models?
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I suspect it would not be quite this simple:

...the I-PACE DC-DC converter knocks out 250A at 12 Volts from the larger 90kWh battery meaning that you can stick a 3kW inverter onto the 12V battery and run your home from it...

https://electrek.co/2018/06/14/jaguar-i ... verything/

But anyone able to suggest just what hardware would be required, if you could use the 12 V DC output to safely draw close-to-3 kWh, at 120/240 V?

That's more than my whole-house-and-well draw, as long as I'm not using the geothermal heat pump.

Two more videos, worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISOPE5hA4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxjIWFS3ec
no condition is permanent

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:47 pm

JasonA wrote:1. YES! Tesla started off (small) but those SpC's were always BIGGER than the car's largest spec battery was so at least I'm charging at a 1c or avg rate.

I don't have a full charging profile yet, but I saw 103 kW when I started charging at a SoC of 48% earlier this week and 39 kW at 80%. That works out to ~ 1.3c and I'll guess an average 0.9 -- 1c from low battery up to 80% SoC

Tesla will likely announce SuperCharger v.3 towards the end of the year. I'm hopeful (though no specifics yet) that the new stations will let me charge at an average 1.5c from low to 80% SoC.

As for the LEAF ... DC fast charging is a joke.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”