VW e-Crafter electric van concept; to market in 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

I imagine UPS brown may be a popular color, for USA sales:
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles introduces e-Crafter electric van concept; to market in 2017

21 September 2016

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles introduced the e-Crafter electric van concept at this year’s IAA Commercial Vehicles show in Hanover. With a permitted total weight of 4.2 tonnes, the concept vehicle is equipped with a 100 kW, 290 N·m motor powered by a 312-cell (26 x 12), 43 kWh Li-ion battery pack. Maximum permitted speed is 80 km/h (50 mph).

The concept vehicle’s battery pack is fitted under the cargo space floor; cargo space capacity thus remains unchanged from conventionally powered Crafters. Depending on vehicle configuration, the battery unit enables a range of more than 200 kilometres (124 miles). Subject to sufficient charging current capacity, the batteries can also be charged back up to 80% in 45 minutes at 40 kW...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/09/20160921-ecrafter.html

Remove the 50 mph top speed limit, add a ~20 kW range extender generator, let Westphalia build the camper conversion, and I'd be sold...

edatoakrun said:
Remove the 50 mph top speed limit, add a ~20 kW range extender generator, let Westphalia build the camper conversion, and I'd be sold...
+1 and it would be nice if they also sold a passenger version, something that at my last checking Nissan has refused to do for their ICE NV-200 :? and who knows when/if they will produce the eNV-200 :(

edatoakrun said:

The 50mph limit probably comes by the fact that in Europe, most vehicles with GVWR above 3500kg are legally limited to a top speed of 56mph. No need to design it to go any faster if they only have the European market in mind.

jjeff said:
+1 and it would be nice if they also sold a passenger version, something that at my last checking Nissan has refused to do for their ICE NV-200 :? and who knows when/if they will produce the eNV-200 :(

There is a passenger version of the NV200 in Europe, but it isn't quite a big seller I believe. The e-NV200 is also sold here, in both cargo and passenger versions. But you were perhaps thinking of the US market?

kaiat said:
jjeff said:

There is a passenger version of the NV200 in Europe, but it isn't quite a big seller I believe. The e-NV200 is also sold here, in both cargo and passenger versions. But you were perhaps thinking of the US market?
Yes and yes, I forget we get international traffic here. In N. America the NV200 is only offered as a cargo van, only front seats and as of yet no eNV-200, and from something I read in another thread no immediate or even future plans to offer it here :(
At this rate I have a feeling someone like VW may have a e-van for sale in N. America before Nissan :(

As far as comparisons to other passenger vans, remember that the Crafter is a very large vehicle, as it VW's version of the Mercedes Sprinter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Crafter

Interestingly though, it only weighs only a couple hundred lbs more than a Tesla X:

The e-Crafter concept vehicle’s technical data (IAA 2016):

Drive system: Electric motor
Power output: 100 kW
Torque: 290 Nm
Battery: Lithium-ion (26 x 12 cells)
43 kWh
384 V
Charging time: 45 min (at 40 kW) DC 40 kW
Perm. total weight: 4,250 kg
Top speed: 80 km/h
Range: 208 km
EC kerb weight: 2,541 kg
Load: 1,709 kg
Cargo space capacity: 11.3 m3
http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-unveils-e-crafter-electric-van-124-mile-range-arrives-in-2017/

Back