gethin
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 333196

Electra Meccanica SOLO

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:54 am

What do you guys think? Perfect commuter? Couple of guys at my work want to put down a deposit.

$250 deposit, $75 bi-weekly

http://electrameccanica.com/

Gethin.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: Electra Meccanica SOLO

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:32 am

Interesting, probably about the size of a Smart car? I see lots of those up in Canada, percentage wise much more than I ever see in my state. Personally I'd be a bit worried about only 3 wheels(I owned a Freeway many years ago, also 1 wheel in rear) and that vehicle was somewhat prone to flipping if you took a corner too fast, hopefully they got that straight. Like the somewhat larger battery(16kwh+) which on a vehicle that small should give you some decent range and in the US anyway give you the maximum $7500 govt. rebate(if you qualify).
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 am

What are the interior dimensions - legroom, headroom, shoulder room, etc?

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 am

Regarding flipping, if the battery is located low enough, this car should be far more stable than your old Freeway.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:34 pm

looks like a repackaged Corbin Sparrow. http://corbin.com/motors/
or
the successor Meyers Motors http://www.myersmotors.com/
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:08 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:Regarding flipping, if the battery is located low enough, this car should be far more stable than your old Freeway.

That makes sense, my Freeway was the ICE version, it came in a battery version as well but used lead acid batteries, circa early 80s. I never had it flip on me but I remember reading stories, it was made in my neighborhood although I didn't get mine until years after they went bankrupt, I did tour the factory though and remember at the time they had a waiting list of almost a year, which quickly disappeared as gas prices dropped and people were once again only interested in large vehicles.
If I had had the battery version the Leaf would have been my 3rd EV, I also owned a Henney Kilowatt which was a converted Renault Dauphine, conversion done by Emerson radio and Eureka Williams. It also used lead acid batteries(6v golf cart batteries, 6 in the front and 6 in the back(going off memory)) and used a bank of relays mounted to the back of the missing rear seat to control the speed. No heater and minimal conveniences, but it didn't use gas! In comparison the Leaf is a total Luxmobile :lol: The Freeway was also a bare bones car(if you could call it a car as it was licenced as a motorcycle). I don't believe it had a heater and was noisy(the gas version) as heck, both road noise and engine noise as the small engine was right behind the rear of the single seat.
Enjoy :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henney_Kilowatt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Vehicles_Free-way
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

SoloOwners

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 am

jjeff wrote:Interesting, probably about the size of a Smart car? I see lots of those up in Canada, percentage wise much more than I ever see in my state. Personally I'd be a bit worried about only 3 wheels(I owned a Freeway many years ago, also 1 wheel in rear) and that vehicle was somewhat prone to flipping if you took a corner too fast, hopefully they got that straight. Like the somewhat larger battery(16kwh+) which on a vehicle that small should give you some decent range and in the US anyway give you the maximum $7500 govt. rebate(if you qualify).

Nope. Just want to correct some of the facts here. You will not get the $7500 tax credit from the US government as an incentive.
The Solo is currently still Federally designated as a motorcycle in the US. That means you get up to 10% of the purchase price or up to $2500 whichever comes first. Seeing as how the purchase price is projected to be $15,500 USD, the math says you'd only be eligible for a $1550 Federal Tax credit incentive. And even that expires at the end of 2016 unless it's legislated to be extended into 2017. State incentives vary from state to state. Here are two links to help with that. Incentives - U.S. Electric Motorcycles - page
Incentives - U.S. Electric Cars - page The weight is 992lb. and the range is 100 miles. The batteries are low on either side of the vehicle and are placed so the center of gravity is as low as possible. It's a belt drive rear-wheel-drive vehicle that has tested very well on the track. You can learn more by going to their website smallev.com and by checking out the Solo Owners Forum

DuncanCunningham
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:39 am

SoloOwners wrote:
jjeff wrote:Interesting, probably about the size of a Smart car? I see lots of those up in Canada, percentage wise much more than I ever see in my state. Personally I'd be a bit worried about only 3 wheels(I owned a Freeway many years ago, also 1 wheel in rear) and that vehicle was somewhat prone to flipping if you took a corner too fast, hopefully they got that straight. Like the somewhat larger battery(16kwh+) which on a vehicle that small should give you some decent range and in the US anyway give you the maximum $7500 govt. rebate(if you qualify).

Nope. Just want to correct some of the facts here. You will not get the $7500 tax credit from the US government as an incentive.
The Solo is currently still Federally designated as a motorcycle in the US. That means you get up to 10% of the purchase price or up to $2500 whichever comes first. Seeing as how the purchase price is projected to be $15,500 USD, the math says you'd only be eligible for a $1550 Federal Tax credit incentive. And even that expires at the end of 2016 unless it's legislated to be extended into 2017. State incentives vary from state to state. Here are two links to help with that. Incentives - U.S. Electric Motorcycles - page
Incentives - U.S. Electric Cars - page The weight is 992lb. and the range is 100 miles. The batteries are low on either side of the vehicle and are placed so the center of gravity is as low as possible. It's a belt drive rear-wheel-drive vehicle that has tested very well on the track. You can learn more by going to their website smallev.com and by checking out the Solo Owners Forum

Yep, they have a selection of videos which help you understand all about the idea of the vehicle. The guy doing the videos loves to slap and bang on the chassis to emphasize his sentences but the sound quality isn't very good so it can be quite jarring to hear at first.

I'd buy one if they live up to the promise.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

SoloOwners

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:28 pm

gethin wrote:What do you guys think? Perfect commuter? Couple of guys at my work want to put down a deposit.

$250 deposit, $75 bi-weekly

http://electrameccanica.com/

Gethin.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:36 pm

I really like the Solo because most of the time I am driving by myself.

That's from the link. You'd have to LOVE driving alone, because unless your spouse, SO or child is small and likes to fold up into small, dangerous storage spaces, you will always be driving alone.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”