AWD MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4 plug-in hybrid on sale in June 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

edited title with official (?) name, 10/26/16

Not many details on the drivetrain, but two points in this PR release are significant, IMO.

BMW seems to realize the obvious, that the ability to utilize the electric motor(s) to provide AWD is a huge benefit, that almost all PHEV manufactures have simply wasted with their 2WD PHEV designs.

And every PHEV (and every BEVx) should allow the driver to control the generator, to allow the vehicle to retain or increase charge, for future driving or to allow the pack to be discharged after arriving at the destination, when desired.

Charging ahead – The MINI goes electric

Munich. Hallmark MINI driving fun combined with zero tailpipe emissions. With the introduction of the first plug-in hybrid model by the British premium brand, this will soon be a reality. The series development process for this car has almost been completed. It features a combustion engine and an electric motor enabling purely electric propulsion for the first time in a MINI. This marks the beginning of a new phase for MINI, and offers a glimpse into a future that is charged with excitement for MINI customers and those drivers yet to experience the thrill of a hybrid.

Head of MINI brand management Sebastian Mackensen and Head of MINI series management Peter Wolf offer insight into this new near-series test vehicle, and explain how it retains go-kart feeling in the true spirit of a MINI during a test drive of this model.

“With this model we want to convince MINI customers of the benefits of hybrid drive”, says Mackensen, “and impress everyone who already has hybrid driving experience with MINI’s unique go-kart driving feel.” The key to achieving this lies in intelligent energy management which is used to control how the combustion engine and electric motor operate together. For this reason, the first MINI plug-in hybrid model is not solely focused on efficiency, but uncompromising in pursuit of driving fun.

At first glance, you wouldn’t recognise the test car as a hybrid model. ...

However, MINI’s go-kart driving characteristics consists of more than just fast acceleration. Above all, this hybrid MINI has to prove how precisely it handles when taking bends on the most exciting, twisting roads. This is where MINI’s plug-in hybrid concept plays its next trump card. “As far as the chassis and suspension are concerned, nothing changes from the conventionally driven model variants”, says Wolf, “and the set-up benefits a lot from the hybrid concept”. Thanks to the eDrive components, which are positioned very low down at the rear, the car’s centre of gravity is lowered and the weight is evenly balanced between the front and rear axle – ideal for achieving an even higher level of legendary MINI agility.

The Hybrid concept provides yet another benefit: the electric motor transmits its power to the rear wheels, the combustion engine to the front wheels. Since the intelligent energy management is linked to the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), traction and drive stability are optimised via the drive system. “As soon as there is any risk of drive slip, the second drive unit is activated to provide additional traction when starting off or ensuring a high level of steering precision when cornering”, explains Wolf.

Intelligent energy management offers a further opportunity for both power sources to work together effectively. Driving on the motorway, Mackensen activates a third mode with the eDrive toggle switch: SAVE BATTERY. In this mode, the combustion engine powers the car whilst at the same time, the high voltage battery can retain charge at a constant level or indeed increase charge via a generator. Extended driving in SAVE BATTERY mode enables enough power generation for purely electric driving later...
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0264783EN/charging-ahead-–-the-mini-goes-electric

If a 10-15 kWh (available) pack option was offered, to handle my usual 50-60 mile commute (in three seasons) with AWD for Winter...

MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4 plug-in hybrid on sale in June 2017
26 October 2016

MINI has officially unveiled the MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4, the brand’s first plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, as one of the three variants of the new MINI Countryman. (Earlier post.) All three of the new MINI Countryman variants will make their World Premiere at the Los Angeles International Auto Show at a press conference on 16 November...

The 1.5-liter 3-cylinder gasoline engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology is a member of the latest generation of the BMW Group engines. The maximum torque of the engine is 220 N·m (162 lb-ft), which goes on stream at 1,250 rpm. In the MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4, the combustion engine is combined with a modified 6-speed Steptronic transmission which transfers its power to the front wheels.

The electric motor is housed under the luggage compartment floor. Designed according to the principle of a hybrid synchronous motor, the electric drive generates a maximum torque of 165 N·m (122 lb-ft) that is characteristically available directly from standing. In addition, it provides constant power delivery even in high engine speed ranges as well as a very high level of efficiency. The electric motor directs its power to the rear axle via a two-stage single-speed transmission.

The lithium-ion battery is positioned directly in front of the electric motor underneath the rear seat. It is made up of five modules, each comprising 16 battery cells, and like the electric motor it is produced at the Dingolfing plant, the BMW Group’s competence centre for eDrive technology. The high-voltage battery has a capacity of 7.6 kWh....
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/10/20161026-mini.html

More on the ICE versions, and photos here:

All-New 2017 MINI Countryman Is Bigger, Brawnier And Comes As A PHEV

...The new Countryman will go on sale in the US in March 2017, with plug-in hybrid variant to follow in June of the same year. Pricing for the U.S. market will be announced at a later stage...
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/all-new-2017-mini-countryman-is-bigger.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhVq9-pLyYk

http://insideevs.com/2017-mini-cooper-s-e-countryman-all4-unveiled-phev-boasts-up-to-24-miles-electric-range/

This suggests it's real world electric range will be about 15 miles. 24 wouldn't be much better.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
http://insideevs.com/2017-mini-cooper-s-e-countryman-all4-unveiled-phev-boasts-up-to-24-miles-electric-range/

This suggests it's real world electric range will be about 15 miles. 24 wouldn't be much better.
If it uses the same pack as the 330 e (for which BMW states 7.6-kWh total and 5.7 kWh available) it will give most drivers 10 to 30 miles of "actual" range, depending on their driving conditions.

It's bizarre when you consider it, that while many BEV manufactures give battery capacity options, no PHEV manufactures do.

Capacity needs are actually far more dependent on individual driving patterns for PHEV/BEVx drivers, than they are for BEV drivers.

For a San Francisco Bay Area driver with a regular ~five kWh Monday-Friday commute, who also regularly drives many hundreds of miles to go hiking or Skiing on many weekends, it would be foolish to pay more to buy a PHEV with pack larger than than the ALL4 has (unless equipped with DC charge capability) as it would only impede efficiency on the long trips.

I regularly drive a 50 to 60 mile trip about ten times a month, usually requiring 10 to 15 kWh, so I'd probably want a pack that was close to that available capacity, and might accept hauling around the useless deadweight of the larger pack on the relatively few trips I make every year beyond battery range (and in my case, also beyond the DC Charge infrastructure).

I don't think it will ever make sense to put a battery larger than ~10 to15 available kWh in any PHEV or BEVx and not give it DC charge (and in the near future, discharge) capability.

MINI brought this oddly named PHEV to the Chicago Auto Show; some have compared it to Fiat's CUV efforts and its actually somewhat similar although the build quality appears better. The only thing that was a bit obnoxious was the 'E' badges and charge-port; almost a yellowish chartreuse -- ick! I like the AWD aspect but 24 miles on the EURO cycle of EV range will result in even less in the US EPA, as well as no price yet.

It's hard to believe its been 7 years+ since the E MINI (as this article on it mentions):

http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/news-2017-mini-countryman-plug-hybrid/

BMW brought all their PHEV line (3,5,7 series as well as i3 and i8) to the show as well; all worth a quick look but wonder how much practical use unless you have really short commutes to take advantage of the short EV range (excluding the i3 of course).

MINI had an info kiosk to sign-up for updates on the plug-in model as well ...

PHEVs like this are aimed at Europe, which is beginning to implement city centre bans on ICE vehicles. The idea is you use the battery for EV mode only when driving in these small areas.

Back