Hyundai (and Kia) planning to release SUV electric vehicle (s) in 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Two more contenders to be the first manufacturer to bring BESUVs to the American (mass) market.

Single photo at link is heavily camouflaged.

Hyundai Motor Company to Release SUV Electric Vehicle in 2018

Hyundai Motor Company is planning to release SUV electric vehicle in 2018. After focusing on sedan-type electric vehicle with its new IONIQ Electric this year, it is going to expand range of its electric vehicles towards SUV in 2018. It is heard that its SUV electric vehicle will be equipped with South Korean battery with large capacity and can drive at least 320km after being charged just once...

It is believed that this model is being developed as Hyundai Motor Company is looking at major global electric vehicle markets such as China and the U.S. that are growing rapidly based on SUVs from a bigger view.

This electric vehicle, which is being tested under a development project name called ‘OS Electric Vehicle’, has 64kWh South Korean battery unlike other 1st generation electric vehicles that have 28kWh batteries that were the highest specification until now. Excluding variables such as driving efficiency and condition of roads, this vehicle can drive at least 320km with just its battery...

Because Kia is also planning to release 2nd generation electric vehicle based on its SUV model called ‘Niro’ in 2018, there are going to be competitions between these two models.
http://english.etnews.com/news/article.html?id=20170116200001

Is the 2018 for N. America or just other areas of the world, notably Asia? The reason I ask is that article seems to be Asian. I just emailed Mitsubishi this morning asking if they had any ETA for the PHEV Outlander to be released in N. America, their website says NOTHING now, but last year did state the PHEV was destined for N. America, seems like they might be backtracking :x
I'm currently in the market for a BEV or at the least PHEV with a 25+ mile EV range and would prefer a smallish to medium sized SUV style, something thats NOT currently available in N. America and no firm dates by any mfg. AFAIK.
I'm really getting disenfranchised with Mitsubishi, I mean know they aren't exactly in the best of financial situation but delaying the introduction of the #1 selling EV/PHEV in Europe for N. America just makes no sense :? IMO other than the Outlander the rest of their lineup is mostly crap and judging from their sales, most people seem to agree. I'd definitely like to see Hyundai or Kia come up with something, AND release it for N. Amercian(and NOT just CA/NY) ASAP.

Have you considered a used 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV?

$15k-$25k typical

Over 100 mile range

Since there are a bunch of CHAdeMO fast chargers around MSP, our company offers JdeMO for the RAV4.

TonyWilliams said:
Have you considered a used 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV?

$15k-$25k typical

Over 100 mile range

Since there are a bunch of CHAdeMO fast chargers around MSP, our company offers JdeMO for the RAV4.
I'd probably love one, problem is I've never seen one in MSP :( and even if I were to truck one in from CA, there would be the service to contend with....no one in MSP would be trained to work on one, if they'd even touch it. I ran into a similar issue when I checked into importing a Honda Accord PHEV a couple years ago(which was never sold in my state or anywhere near me) but even if I did my local dealers said they wouldn't touch it :(
Really to bad Toyota wasted(IMO) so much time on fuel cell vehicles, if they had only improved on and widely distributed the Rav4 EV they'd have such a lead on everyone else it wouldn't be funny, instead they are playing catch-up.
I just did a search in my local market for "toyota rav4 ev" and came back with nothing..... it would be like a unicorn around here :lol:

Back