iPlug
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:42 am

GRA wrote:I've always felt that any BEV that needs to be depended on for routine driving should have at least two days autonomy. That way, if you normally charge up every day, the power goes out while you're asleep and the car doesn't get charged, you can still get to work etc. and back, and have time to work out alternative charging/transportation options for the 3rd day. Maybe I'm just overly conservative when it comes to such matters.

Not a bad idea, but we’ve already got that covered. Two vehicles offer flexibility and cost savings and can cover for the deficits of the other vehicle.

In such a power failure we have the Plug-in Prius - I can take the Leaf 7 miles round trip to work for several days and don’t need the charging stations there.

That’s one of the reasons the future BEV to replace our Plug-in Prius will need real long distance capabilities.

cwerdna wrote:https://insideevs.com/hyundai-dealers-price-gouging-kona-electric/ alleges reports of markups of $5K to $8K above MSRP! Ugh! :evil:

There are places out there doing that. Our local Hyundai dealerships says they do not sell any of their vehicles above MSRP. Currently they have a limited ($42,495 MSRP) and SEL ($37,780 MSRP) in stock.

http://www.rosevillehyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Hyundai&model=Kona%20EV#close
2016 Leaf SV (leased) + 2012 Plug-in Prius (own), 11.43 kW Solar PV (16 MWh/yr actual production), Clipper Creek 7.7 kW charging stations x2, 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, Variable Speed Pool Pump

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Kona or a 35k model 3? Is this even a question?

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla- ... ilable-now
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:39 am

You're right, Kona all the way
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:28 am

Valdemar wrote:Kona or a 35k model 3? Is this even a question?

:lol:

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at the fanaticism around Tesla. Yes, this is a question. These are very different cars. The $35k Tesla will have far fewer features than the Kona. And despite the lower price, I fully except the TCO to be lower on the Kona over 8-10 years.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:29 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Kona or a 35k model 3? Is this even a question?

:lol:

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at the fanaticism around Tesla. Yes, this is a question. These are very different cars. The $35k Tesla will have far fewer features than the Kona. And despite the lower price, I fully except the TCO to be lower on the Kona over 8-10 years.

When you go to Cdn Tesla site and select an equivelant range M3 (mid-range 425 km, c/w blue ext and wht int with basic autopilot) the price is $61,600 which is $9600 more than I paid for my Kona Ultimate.
No sunroof or HUD but at in trade you get supercharging capability and probably more tech settings.
And BTW I love the Kona so far, nice one finger driving using using LKA and with Smart cruise control no feet (most of the time - doesn't read traffic lights)
It will stop and go while following another car (you set the distance) , but if you are at a red light with no one in front of you, you actually have to step on the accelerator as I found out when it reminded me to do that sometime after the light had turned green :oops:
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

iPlug

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:25 pm

iPlug wrote:
GRA wrote:I've always felt that any BEV that needs to be depended on for routine driving should have at least two days autonomy. That way, if you normally charge up every day, the power goes out while you're asleep and the car doesn't get charged, you can still get to work etc. and back, and have time to work out alternative charging/transportation options for the 3rd day. Maybe I'm just overly conservative when it comes to such matters.

Not a bad idea, but we’ve already got that covered. Two vehicles offer flexibility and cost savings and can cover for the deficits of the other vehicle.

In such a power failure we have the Plug-in Prius - I can take the Leaf 7 miles round trip to work for several days and don’t need the charging stations there.

That’s one of the reasons the future BEV to replace our Plug-in Prius will need real long distance capabilities.

cwerdna wrote:https://insideevs.com/hyundai-dealers-price-gouging-kona-electric/ alleges reports of markups of $5K to $8K above MSRP! Ugh! :evil:

There are places out there doing that. Our local Hyundai dealerships says they do not sell any of their vehicles above MSRP. Currently they have a limited ($42,495 MSRP) and SEL ($37,780 MSRP) in stock.

http://www.rosevillehyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Hyundai&model=Kona%20EV#close

Oh well, they lied. Not surprising for a dealership, I guess. We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.
2016 Leaf SV (leased) + 2012 Plug-in Prius (own), 11.43 kW Solar PV (16 MWh/yr actual production), Clipper Creek 7.7 kW charging stations x2, 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, Variable Speed Pool Pump

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm

iPlug wrote:Oh well, they lied. Not surprising for a dealership, I guess. We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.

Ouch! Very disappointing.

I'm glad I didn't bother waiting for the Kona EV as a few folks were prodding me towards it. I had little interest in it anyway, mainly due to past history w/the US Ioniq EV supply fiasco.

Hopefully, the situation will eventually correct itself if nobody bites.
Last edited by cwerdna on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Oh well, they lied. Not surprising for a dealership, I guess. We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.

How about a review?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 am

I came across this recent video from another forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mpz4qQW_L4

Chevy Bolt EV and Hyundai Kona Electric: Grizzled Veteran versus Star Rookie
News Coulomb
Published on Mar 3, 2019
A big thank you to David, who agreed to do a parallel drive with me in his brand new Hyundai Kona Electric. This was a round trip of about 270 miles, from Ontario in the Inland Empire of Southern California to Baker and back again.

During the trip, we checked out some new chargers that are about to go online, tested the Kona out on EVgo's 175 kW CCS charger, reviewed the Kona's interior and features, braved 20 to 30 mph headwinds on the return trip, and made some surprising discoveries about the Kona's maximum DC charging rate and freeway efficiency.

The Kona Electric has a lot going for it, and I'm really hoping Hyundai can send as many as they can to the United States. It's a worthy competitor for the Bolt EV in the sub $40,000 electric vehicle segment, and it presents a strong value proposition compared to the $35,000 Tesla Model 3.

I did note that around the 6 minute mark there is a charge % limiter that's in 10% increments. They have separate limiters fror AC vs. DC charging. Interesting to see the saw that on one of the DC FCs they used, they saw a peak charging rate of 76 kW at 52% SoC (3:30 into the video). This was on a 350 kW CCS charger that was having issues and supposedly only able to do a max of 175 kW.

It's not a must watch, IMHO. I kinda watched it in the background while doing other things.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

iPlug

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:22 am

LeftieBiker wrote:

How about a review?

Not one for detailed write-ups on vehicles. But will briefly share our impressions of the vehicles driven/checked-out.

The lease on my wife's Leaf is up next month, so we are preparing to find a replacement BEV. We (she) test drove the Kona EV, 40 kWh Leaf, and Bolt. There were no Niro or Soul EV's on the Kia lot yet, but checked out the non-EV versions of these cars.

The Kona EV is a decent looking vehicle, range is great, fit/finish ok, but until pent-up demand eases, the price with markup is too much and the vehicle doesn't offer any particular advantages for us over the competition. Cargo area is small compared to even a Leaf. Details of small things were lacking like the charging port caps which are made of cheap thin plastic hanging on by thin plastic threads that don't look to last long. The wife thought the drive was a little "heavy", but otherwise similar to her experience with her Leaf.

As we don't expect any deals on a Leaf ePlus for several months until demand eases, we looked at the 40 kWh Leaf. Of all the vehicles, this probably had the highest quality fit/finish. Cargo area was among the best. Range of course was the least of all the vehicles we cross shopped, but still above my wife's minimum needs. My wife liked the looks of this vehicle more than the others. We expect a great lease deal next month, so my wife is currently most likely to go with a 40 kWh Leaf, probably SV or SL. The wife thought the drive was very similar to her current Leaf.

The Bolt has good EV range and we expect we might get the best price/kWh if we were to go with one. The Bolt had the lowest quality fit/finish and the small size inside and out was notable. It felt a bit cramped inside, even in the front. The cargo area was among the smallest. The vehicle drove fine, but my wife thought braking was different than she experienced before and felt that it would "glide" when the brake was applied. She says this feels like the brakes had a different grab feel than other vehicles she has driven.

The Niro and Soul seen, as noted above, were not EVs, but we wanted to sit in them and look at the cargo area. They both had the best rear seat room of the vehicles looked at. At 6'2", these were the only vehicles I could sit in the back and not have to bend my head forward due to ceiling height. Not really an issue for me as I would ride front passenger and kids in back. The cargo space on the Soul was relatively small, but the Niro had a nice sized cargo area, maybe the best of all the vehicles looked at. The Soul boxiness was a bit jarring, would take a while to get used to. The fit/finish was about the same quality as Hyundai/Kona. My wife overall liked the Niro almost as much as the Leaf. With both of these, like the Kona EV, we would expect dealer price gouging/inflexibility when they arrive - the dealer volunteered as much. So these vehicles will likely be off consideration due to pricing when we need a new vehicle next month.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”