Any i-MIEV owners here?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atikovi

There is 2012 SE coming up for sale near me and after selling my Leaf a few months, I wouldn't mind trying another EV. The few I've seen on Ebay don't bring too much if they sell at all. Any advice or comparison when I look at it? Car only has 25,000 miles so plenty of powertrain and battery warranty left. Is the battery degradation criteria for replacement anything like Nissans?

I don't have a lot of personal experience with the iMiev, but I did drive one in a large parking lot. The main downside to consider with this car is that while it has pretty good manners in low speed driving (I actually liked the parking lot drive) it has a lousy, rough, unsettled ride at highway speeds, according to virtually all reviews. This EV should be considered as an urban or low speed commuting car only, IMO.

As a current LEAF owner and former i-MiEV lessor, I will tell you the LEAF is a much better vehicle.

Highway speed ride quality is about what is expected for a short-wheelbase car with very narrow tires. Crosswind stability, however, is terrible.

The i-MiEV is a great in-the-city vehicle or commuter vehicle. Don't expect the level of comfort the LEAF provides. That being said, the i-MiEV's rear-wheel drive, excellent visibility, and tiny turning radius make for an amusing driving experience.

At $4000, that car is a bargain. The batteries don't have the capacity loss issues the LEAF has.

aarond12 said:
At $4000, that car is a bargain. The batteries don't have the capacity loss issues the LEAF has.
Am I mistaken, or doesn't the iMiev have its cells packaged in batteries in such a way that the BMS has no way to keep each individual cell balanced?

RegGuheert said:
aarond12 said:
Am I mistaken, or doesn't the iMiev have its cells packaged in batteries in such a way that the BMS has no way to keep each individual cell balanced?
I don't believe that's right. The third-party CanIon app has access to this information from the BMS, so I'm sure it can balance things.

A0KLws1KSYNzkCEUqCa2PcigVpclPlnXAgZd-Q1aKF7oyKimmsvPpbhrKXEIbIWpR-oT=h310

aarond12 said:
RegGuheert said:
aarond12 said:
I don't believe that's right. The third-party CanIon app has access to this information from the BMS, so I'm sure it can balance things.
O.K. Thanks for the correction!

Back