RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Tesla Semi Truck

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 am

Tesla is due to reveal their semi truck this month, so I thought this would be a good time to start a thread on the topic.

Electrek seems to have the best coverage on this topic. Here is their landing page for the Tesla Semi.

Electrek: Tesla Semi could be 'the biggest catalyst in trucking in decades' and 70% cheaper to operate, says analyst:
Electrek wrote:Jonas then lists a series of “key questions” which he then tries to answer:

- When will the truck go on sale? (we think 2020)
- How much will it cost? (we think $100k if separately leasing batteries)
- What can it do? (we think it could be an all-purpose Class 8 semi-truck rather than a limited application vehicle)
- How cost effective will it be? (we estimate an autonomous-electric truck can be up to 70% cheaper to operate than a regular truck).

The analyst is of the opinion that Tesla Semi will have a range of 200-300 miles – primarily to support regional trucking routes.

Furthermore, he expects Tesla to announce some major trucking partnerships for companies to operate early fleets of the new electric truck.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

TonyWilliams

Re: Tesla Semi Truck

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am

Tons of trucking companies can use a 200-300 mile FULL POWER (like 500+hp) trucks in a fleet. For ports and rail service, 200 miles is probably too much, most of the time.

Tesla is not going to use battery swapping at the truck depot level, but there will be overnight charging plus a Mega-Fast charger. They will remotely monitor that the trucks are being correctly charged, so that no truck finds itself uncharged in the morning (this is a problem in the fork lift industry). I suspect autonomous plugging in (no way will it be wireless), and possibly autonomous parking.

Maybe, battery swapping will be an option enroute at key junctions. In Southern California, it might be on the 5 freeway between LA and SF, or Barstow or Baker going to Las Vegas. I think the odds of this are very low, but possible.

Mega-Fast chargers in the 750kW to 1.5MW are likely. Battery size needs to be 500kWh minimum.

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:34 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Maybe, battery swapping will be an option enroute at key junctions. In Southern California, it might be on the 5 freeway between LA and SF, or Barstow or Baker going to Las Vegas. I think the odds of this are very low, but possible.
I expect to see some interesting solutions provided on the trailers, as well. I foresee some trailers carrying batteries to allow for longer-range travel with the batteries being charged during loading and unloading activities. I can also see 10 kW of PV on the roofs of some trailers to reduce the daytime running load and provide charging during daytime stops. Finally, I can see generators on some trailers for extended operations.

While BEV semi tractors are certainly a technical challenge, they also open up a ton of possibilities which never existed before. I can see some possible huge benefits in mountain operations, for instance.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Yep, really interesting stuff coming up. I'm hoping for a revealing reveal :-)

Tesla applied for an AP exemption to drive trucks from the Gigafactory to their auto assembly plant in Fremont.
I expect to see platoons of Tesla trucks plying the route in the near future and on the major highway inter-states some time later.

Which, incidentally, is why I suspect the analyst's guesses of range are way under-estimated. I think the Tesla magic will be a combination of EV+AP. The US refuses to rehabilitate the train network so this is the next best thing.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”