cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Subaru Crosstrek PHEV

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:17 am

I forgot this vehicle even existed until I saw it at the Silicon Valley Auto Show. They seem to market it as a Crosstrek Hybrid even though it's a PHEV. They touted the red HOV stickers (now purple) and $4500 Federal tax credit (actually $4502) besides other state/local incentives.

I recall having very little cargo room, probably due to the battery.

Saw the 17 mile AER on the Monroney sticker.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: Subaru Crosstrek PHEV

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:10 am

Yes other than being 4 wheel drive(or AWD or whatever they call it nowadays!) it doesn't really seem to have much going for it. It's got the same 8.8 kWh battery as the Prius Prime but being boxier, AWD and other things, unlike the Prime that gets 27 miles the Crosstrek only gets 17 miles EV :(
Also not sure about the PHEV but I knew someone who bought a regular Crosstrek and was not happy about how it handled in the snow. They said the rear end had the tendency to fishtail and they were very scared driving in the snow. They even purchased expensive snow tires which helped but not to their liking. They had the vehicle into the dealer several times but they could find no problem. Apparently?? they searched the internet and found people reporting a similar problem but no one had a solution. As they specifically purchased a Subaru for it's ability to handle snow, they were very unhappy. In the end, they ended up trading it in on another Subaru(Outback I believe??) and that handled very well, no fishtailing, even with the OEM tires. This transpired a couple of winters ago and I believe he said since then he's read about a bulletin to possibly address this, but if looking at a Crosstrek, especially a used one, I'd do lots of research, specifically in how it handles in the snow.
Personally I think the Crosstrek is a nice looking vehicle but it would need to have a much larger battery(more EV range) and I'd had to be confident they fixed the fishtailing tendencies before getting serious about purchasing it.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”