GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: Kia Niro BEV

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:21 pm

TomT wrote:When I was living in southern CA I almost never used the heater but used the AC quite a bit... I was ahead without a heat pump.
GRA wrote:Cars sold in California won’t come with a heat pump. But those nearly everywhere else in the U.S. will come with a winter package that includes a heated steering wheel, a heat pump system, and battery warming.
Southern CA and Northern CA may as well be different states. They most certainly have different weather.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 pm

"The 2019 Kia Niro EV Is What Tesla Model 3 Intenders Should Be Buying"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a2 ... ev-driven/

"It's not right that the Kia Niro EV comes with not even a whiff of the anticipation that swirled around the Chevy Bolt EV ahead of its launch, nor the star appeal of anything Tesla. This electric-only small crossover joins the Niro lineup, which already includes hybrid and plug-in hybrid models. The Niro EV is no phone-it-in compliance car but an impressively thorough engineering effort that is painting Kia and corporate sibling Hyundai as the dark horses in electric-vehicle excellence. "
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:27 pm

KeiJidosha wrote:...The Niro EV is no phone-it-in compliance car...
But it is a compliance car!
Kia isn't helping matters by limiting sales to only 12 states
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
82K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm

It's a compliance car in the US, as a matter of corporate policy. This is a vehicle designed and built for worldwide sales.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:43 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
TomT wrote:When I was living in southern CA I almost never used the heater but used the AC quite a bit... I was ahead without a heat pump.
GRA wrote:Cars sold in California won’t come with a heat pump. But those nearly everywhere else in the U.S. will come with a winter package that includes a heated steering wheel, a heat pump system, and battery warming.
Southern CA and Northern CA may as well be different states. They most certainly have different weather.
It's certainly on average warmer in L.A. than S.F., but it does get cold enough for most people to want heat in the winter - L.A.'s highs are forecast to be in the upper 50s or low '60s all week (today Hi 58 / Lo 43), and the average lows from Nov. to April are in the mid-50s or below: https://www.google.com/search?q=l.a.+cl ... e&ie=UTF-8

As most people commute to work in the morning and may go out in the evening, I doubt most of them are going without heat in these temps. San Francisco is certainly cooler, but not all that much outside of summer: https://www.google.com/search?q=san+fra ... e&ie=UTF-8

As you move away from the coast towards the central valley, Norcal's summer highs are higher than L.A.'s, and its year-round lows are lower.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:18 pm

It is sold here in Georgia... They don't usually sell compliance cars in Georgia...
And it is better than the Leaf in almost every way... I've driven one and it is a hell of a car.
The Niro EV is no phone-it-in compliance car!
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GRA

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

ABG:
2019 Kia Niro EV First Drive Review | How to have fun in a practical EV
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/07/201 ... ve-review/

Among other things:
. . . There are probably a number of reasons for the difference in the stated range between the all-electric Kona (258 miles) and Niro (239 miles), but the one that sticks out when comparing spec sheets is the final gear ratio for the two cars. The Kona Electric has a final gear ratio of 7.981:1, while the Niro EV's is higher, at 8.206:1. This could also help explain why the Niro feels faster, torquier and generally sportier than the Kona. Weight could be another factor, as the slightly larger Niro EV (3,854 pounds) is heavier than the porkiest Kona Electric, which ranges from 3,715 to 3,836 pounds. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 pm

In the Seventies the US manufacturers (Ford, especially) applied a cheap and easy fix to many of their cars and trucks to raise fuel economy. You guessed it: higher final drive ratios. Just swap in higher gearing in the differentials, and Voila! Better EPA numbers, instantly. At the expense of acceleration, of course. Honda did it too, with the Nineties Civics. I drove one for a few years, and despite my Civic EX having almost 40 more HP than my '86 Civic Si, the little Si accelerated faster, and with its high OD also got better fuel economy. I really, really hated having to start off going uphill in the EX...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Given a single gear ratio, I personally have no problem accepting a taller final drive ratio that reduces my off-the line accel a bit, if it means I've got better range and passing performance. I suspect I'd be perfectly happy with the Kona's ratio in the Niro - my Forester was tested at something like 9.6 sec. 0-60, and I've always found that more than adequate, and both of the Korean cars do considerably better than that. Sure, I'd like it to be faster, but the range is more valuable to me than the extra accel down low.

GRA

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:15 pm

IEVS:
Kia Niro EV: What’s There To Like And Dislike
https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-ev-likes-dislikes/

Also see this C&D review:
The 2019 Kia Niro EV Is a Spectacular Entry-Level Electric
With big range, practicality, and sophistication, it's an impressively thorough engineering effort from an unheralded source.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a2 ... ev-driven/

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”