EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: German magazine compares real-world electric-car ranges, efficiencies in cold weather

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm

41 isn't cold. Maybe for san diego.

I'd rather see the test done properly with legitimate winter conditions. Doesn't have to be -30 F, but 10F would be a great test and each of those cars would do much, much worse. Have them sit for 8 hours, too, so you get a nice cold-soaked battery, climate control has to be on high due to low ambient, and then see how the test goes. This would better approximate somebody who's wondering if they can make it to work and back on a truly cold day.

GRA

Re: German magazine compares real-world electric-car ranges, efficiencies in cold weather

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:41 isn't cold. Maybe for san diego.

I'd rather see the test done properly with legitimate winter conditions. Doesn't have to be -30 F, but 10F would be a great test and each of those cars would do much, much worse. Have them sit for 8 hours, too, so you get a nice cold-soaked battery, climate control has to be on high due to low ambient, and then see how the test goes. This would better approximate somebody who's wondering if they can make it to work and back on a truly cold day.

I'm sure they could do one now, but you can only test with the weather you've got. I'd love to see some mag in the U.S. do a similar test in say Bismarck, N.D. (maybe MSP is more reasonable) in January.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”