2019 Mazda BEV and BEVx

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

With an official announcement, time to move Mazda from the BEVx thread, to its own.

The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847&start=370

The “as big as a shoebox" engine description gives me hope it will be a true range extending generator BEVx, rather than a series hybrid like A Volt or an i-3, with its BEV operation as severely compromised by an over-sized ICE.

Mazda Officially Confirms The Return Of The Rotary Engine In 2019

It will be used as a range-extender in a new EV.

That day has finally come – Mazda, through the voice of its Vice President of Sales and Customer Service for Europe, Martijn ten Brink, has confirmed the legendary rotary engine will be making a comeback. Speaking to ZerAuto.nl, Brink has revealed a number of very interesting details regarding the company’s future plans.... Mazda will build a purely electric car, which will arrive sometimes next year. No other details are available at the moment, but Brink has confirmed the EV will be optionally available with a range-extender in the form of a new Wankel engine. Despite being “not really necessary, because the average buyer travels an average of 37 miles (60 kilometers) per day from home to work and back again,” the rotary motor’s main goal will be to “take away any concerns from customers.”

The unit in question will be a single-disc engine and won’t use a turbocharger. It will act strictly as a generator and will be positioned low in the construction to keep the center of gravity low. Being “as big as a shoebox,” it will provide vibration-free operation, and the driver won’t even notice when it starts...
https://www.motor1.com/news/234692/mazda-confirms-rotary-engine-return/

Original, from NL:

https://zerauto.nl/mazdas-elektrische-auto-krijgt-optioneel-wankelmotor-als-range-extender/

edatoakrun said:
"...Mazda will build a purely electric car, which will arrive sometimes next year. No other details are available at the moment, but Brink has confirmed the EV will be optionally available with a range-extender in the form of a new Wankel engine...

This has been tried before by Audi in the A1 eTron concept.

"For greater distances, the A1 carries a gas-fired 254-cc single-rotor Wankel engine that can be used to charge the battery. The rear-mounted engine has no direct link to the wheels and is used solely as a generator. "

It's like a Volt with a rotary engine from Audi. But still a lot like a Volt.

Fleet of 20 running around Munich for a while

Audi Launches Pilot Project In Munich With A1 E-tron Electric Car

But program was canceled. "Also disappearing into the ether is the A1 e-tron, based on Audi's European sub-A3 offering. "

Audi Cans Electric A2 City Car, A1 E-Tron

Back