Cold-climate BEV comparisons.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Please use this thread to discuss choosing a BEV for use in sub-freezing conditions.

The five-BEV test below starts us off with an account of four you can buy in the USA today, plus the Ioniq, limited to Socal at present.

The biggest electric car test in winter wonderland ever

...Mid-February in Norway. Sub-zero salty, slushy highways. Snowy and icy country roads. Freezing temperatures.

Not your ideal conditions for driving battery electric vehicles (BEV), right? Think again.

Prepare for the most comprehensive winter test in the history of the Norwegian EV Association, which also included the very recently launched second generation Nissan LEAF.

...So, if we were to name an overall champion during these two days, all in all, it would be the IONIQ.

It illustrates the fact that a bigger battery pack is not always equal to best. Among subjective arguments against the South Korean car; a bit tighter suspension and more direct feel through the steering wheel would be nice.

When it comes to handling the Volkswagen e-Golf excels in all areas, while the LEAF in our opinion delivers the best compromise. The handling discipline was not examined thoroughly, due to slippery roads on longer stretches and our ambition to keep consumption at decent levels...
https://elbil.no/the-biggest-electric-car-test-in-winter-wonderland-ever/

Nice review!
I'm really going to have to take a look at that Ioniq. I'm thinking it might be too small/cramped for my liking but I really like how efficient it is, it's also nice how fast it can charge L3 but as of I've only charged my Leafs a couple of times L3 that part wouldn't probably benefit me much.
I just wish not only Ioniq but other mfgs(other than some Teslas) would increase their L2 charging speed! I mean many EV'ers are using a 50a circuit which would be able to give us up to 9.6kwh, much better than our current 6.6kwh, which hasn't been increased in the last 5 years! (since '13) :x bigger batteries, same charging speed :roll:

Back