Volvo all-electric version of XC40 compact CUV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Time for XC40EV thread?

I'm not particularly impressed.

But who knows, maybe the typical American buyer does want their BEV to look just like the ICEV tall wagons (CUVs) that they've been buying.

And Volvo seems to know their semi-prestige, semi-luxury market quite well, so they may move a lot of these at ~$50k.

Volvo CEO: Our EVs Will Be Profitable Right Away

The Swedish-Chinese automaker’s first EV is expected to be an all-electric version of its new XC40 compact CUV.

Volvo Cars plans to introduce its first fully electrified vehicle at the end of next year, and the automaker’s CEO vows that even at a relatively inexpensive price point, it will be a money-maker...

While the XC40 electric has been reported to be coming as low as $35,000-$40,000, Samuelsson implies it may be closer to $50,000.

When asked if Volvo can profitably sell an EV “in the $50,000 range,” the CEO says yes. “We are planning that should be a profitable car.”...

He notes Volvo’s electrification strategy is to offer autonomous technology, expected to be pricey and thus off-putting to many vehicle buyers, on its highest grades in a given model’s lineup...
http://www.wardsauto.com/technology/volvo-ceo-our-evs-will-be-profitable-right-away?NL=WAW-04&Issue=WAW-04_20180628_WAW-04_27&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&elqTrack=true

The Ice version is already configurable, here:

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/xc40?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Volvo_XC40_Brand_Exact&utm_term=xc40+compact+suv

edatoakrun said:
Time for XC40EV thread?

I'm not particularly impressed.

But who knows, maybe the typical American buyer does want their BEV to look just like the ICEV tall wagons (CUVs) that they've been buying.

And Volvo seems to know their semi-prestige, semi-luxury market quite well, so they may move a lot of these at ~$50k.
Actually, I'm quite impressed :)
It's what I've been saying for years, actually make a BEV in the design of what people are actually buying in ICE versions :idea:
I might like a slightly larger version but I do like the higher seating position, I'm thinking the BEV XC90 might be a bit too large(not to mention expensive).

armmynissanleaf said:
This is certainly interesting, but I don't know if the public will immediately embrace it.
This week's Motorweek on PBS reviewed the ICE XC-40 and were quite impressed. They mentioned a coming PHEV and BEV. The ICE version is priced about $15k less than the $50k mentioned here for the BEV, $35k for a somewhat loaded base and $40k for the top trim model.

jjeff said:
armmynissanleaf said:
This is certainly interesting, but I don't know if the public will immediately embrace it.
This week's Motorweek on PBS reviewed the ICE XC-40 and were quite impressed. They mentioned a coming PHEV and BEV. The ICE version is priced about $15k less than the $50k mentioned here for the BEV, $35k for a somewhat loaded base and $40k for the top trim model.
The EV will have at least $7500 in federal tax credits for those eligible, so depending on packaging it may be price competitive with the ICE.

SageBrush said:
jjeff said:
armmynissanleaf said:
The EV will have at least $7500 in federal tax credits for those eligible, so depending on packaging it may be price competitive with the ICE.
Good point!
And as far as where they are made, I had thought China but at least the ICE XC-40 was said to be made in Belgium according to Motorweek.

And as far as where they are made, I had thought China but at least the ICE XC-40 was said to be made in Belgium according to Motorweek.

As I understand it, Volvo kept their European car production facilities, but gets the motors from China. RIP the B230T!

GRA said:
Thanks!
I'd be a little surprised if the XC40 PHEV could get 34 miles from it's rather small 9.7kWh battery when the Subaru Crosstrek only manages 17 miles with it's 8.8kWh battery and the much tinier Prius Prime gets 27 miles from the same 8.8kWh pack but maybe the XC40 is more aerodynamic?? or maybe the 34 miles is the Euro or Japan cycle which is quite a bit more optimistic than our N. American cycle which is more like our driving style. I'm assuming all variants of the XC40 will be AWD but if not I suppose that could help explain things.....
Wonder if we'll ever see the Link & Co vehicles stateside......also made by Volvo's parent company Greely(which also now owns Lotus :? ) At one point I really wanted a Lotus Elise(I believe that was the model) which was very small and low to the ground, the price wasn't all that bad either, not like the much more expensive exotic Lotus models many are familiar with. Like my X-1/9 I'm not sure I could fit in an Elise now, for sure it would be a tight squeeze :shock:

jjeff said:
I'd be a little surprised if the XC40 PHEV could get 34 miles from it's rather small 9.7kWh battery when the Subaru Crosstrek only manages 17 miles with it's 8.8kWh battery and the much tinier Prius Prime gets 27 miles from the same 8.8kWh pack but maybe the XC40 is more aerodynamic??
Not a chance XC40 is more aerodynamic, it is typical CUV with Cd ~.35. The range is not for EPA, you will need to /2 for EPA estimate. The range would be decimated at highway speeds.

So only 250 on WLTP, so maybe 215 real world? I'm actually very disappointed by that. I liked the XC40 - but for that price, not enough range. I can get a Tesla long range for that price can't I? YMMV but I am very disappointed.

"The Recharge's all-wheel-drive electric powertrain develops 408 horsepower, which makes it snappy enough to go from zero to 60 mph in a claimed 4.7 seconds. Volvo says the Recharge can travel nearly 250 miles on a charge using Europe's WLTP standards,"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29485294/volvo-xc40-recharge-ev-photos-info/

Valdemar said:
I can definitely see this as my next EV, hopefully the EV tax credit remains until it's available.

Its suppose to be hitting dealers in 2020, so I would think the tax credit should still be there. Under 50k is a bit ambiguous

Looks more than "a cubic foot" or storage space up front :?
Why has only the lowly Leaf got the charging port location correct :? IMO front best, front fenders second best, rear fenders(sorry Telsa) worst! What do people back into parking spaces :roll: (actually I do at times but everyone else I know just drives in forward).
"Black roof" WTF! who wants a black roof(unless it's a solar cell) black is THE worst color for heat, is this a feature for the southern states where they can fry an egg on the roof :roll:
Lastly, why is everyone trying to chase Tesla or even Audi or Jaguar on the next EV, people like Chevy Equinoxes, Nissan Rogues, Toyota Highlanders, Rav4's or CRVs, let's see more mfgs. trying to chase after those very common SUVs instead of the expensive $50k+ Euro offerings. Right now Mitsubishi is the only one in that class and while I applaud their effort I'd prefer an EV/PHEV from a more mainstay(ie reliable, higher customer rated) company than Mitsubishi :)
If this Volvo were more around $40k even up to mid $40's I might be interested but truthfully I have no interest in a 400 hp :roll: 20" wheel <5 second 0-60 $50+k car. I know the article says starting under $50k but I'll believe it when I see it.......

Back