Rivian R1T and R1S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

I've been filling their progress for a while now, and they just debut their truck at the LA auto show today. Very nice looking and spec'ed truck. They already have a factory in Normal Illinois and plan to launch in 2020.

https://insideevs.com/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-world-debut/

The specs are fantastic, as is the storage. If they really can sell it for well under three figures and make money, that's great. I imagine the headlights will change after a year or two.

LeftieBiker said:
The specs are fantastic, as is the storage. If they really can sell it for well under three figures and make money, that's great. I imagine the headlights will change after a year or two.
I certainly hope so, although some of the proportions of the body look awkward as well (the bed's too short). That may just be the angle of the photo.

With the exception of the headlights, that looks fantastic. The R1S could be a good replacement for our Highlander Hybrid. I just may have to get over my aversion to spending over $40k for a vehicle. At least from the press material, it seems to check all the boxes in terms of what we would require for a replacement of that Highlander (except price is still above my comfort zone). I now know what I really want to see when I get to the LA Auto Show this year. Looks like I have about 2.5 years to figure out how to finance that thing.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Trouble for Tesla? Where will you be able to charge? Are they going to have a SC network too?

They will have 7+kw onboard chargers for J-1772 charging. I'm not sure which DCFC standard they will use, but I'd bet SAE Combo.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/27/18113257/rivian-r1s-suv-electric-la-auto-show-2018

Both are very nice looking vehicles. Kudos to the team at Rivian. Great Job!

palmermd said:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/27/18113257/rivian-r1s-suv-electric-la-auto-show-2018

Both are very nice looking vehicles. Kudos to the team at Rivian. Great Job!
The SUV looks better bar those awful headlights, which will hopefully be changed before it goes into production - just rotating them 90 deg. would help some, but it's just too big and too expensive for me. Love the range, though, and Tesla and everyone else making luxo SUVs will need to up their game. Now they just have to survive until production.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Tesla needs to put a wiggle in it if these guys are real. I still think the SC network will be the barrier to entry.

My guess these are power hogs and the reason they need such big packs, I am skeptical of the range and it should be interesting to see real-world efficiency on that pickup truck which looks like it has questionable aerodynamics.

EVDRIVER said:
My guess these are power hogs and the reason they need such big packs, I am skeptical of the range and it should be interesting to see real-world efficiency on that pickup truck which looks like it has questionable aerodynamics.
Have you seen any pickup trucks that didn't have questionable aerodynamics?

I supposed that which does not exist cannot be questionable.

LTLFTcomposite said:
EVDRIVER said:
Have you seen any pickup trucks that didn't have questionable aerodynamics?

I supposed that which does not exist cannot be questionable.

I'm sure an EV truck could be designed to be optimized. Older Tacomas were far better than new ones. Point being they need big, and likely expensive packs. Clearly they don't have the economies of sale for pack costs.

Nice followup article on the R1T from electrek.

https://electrek.co/2018/11/29/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-order/

"I wasn’t sure about the design when I first saw the pictures, but after seeing the truck in person, I am comfortable with it.
The headlights were my biggest concerns, but they look OK in person and I feel like they could eventually grow on me:
Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe told me that they are aware that it is a polarizing feature, but they think it will be a signature feature for the brand.
I think I would have preferred a horizontal setup, but I can get over it."

Sounds like someone here.

I got over to the LA Car Show today and saw these. I too think the headlights look better in person than they do in the pictures. Both vehicles look quite good otherwise. Though they wouldn't indicate a price level for the 180kWh versions, which is what will be needed to win my wife over on this vehicle. I suspect it will be well above my pay grade. 180kWh in batteries will have to be pricey.

One thing I missed in the article was how useful that slide through storage section is, including the doors on it. Instead of the doors swinging horizontally like car or truck doors, they drop down and create a seat/step. The height is perfect to use as a seat while cleaning sand from shoes, or messing with a wet suit, etc. And they demonstrated that they are sturdy enough to use as a step for loading gear onto roof racks. And that storage space is bigger than what I expected from the pictures.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Tesla needs to put a wiggle in it if these guys are real. I still think the SC network will be the barrier to entry.

I'm not so sure. Check out this overlay of the Tesla SC network with the CCS fast charge network in Southern California.

http://rivianauto.club/xf/threads/is-the-ccs-charging-network-good-enough.19/

And Rivian is going to fill in blank spots at remote ourdoor destinations like parks and such.

Back