This new VW sounds like a Leaf killer.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an eGolf owner myself, I've been VERY disappointed with VW's efforts at electrification, particularly in the US where they are legally obligated to make amends for dieselgate.

VW brought the eGolf over in 2015 and made it available in 11 states, more than most EV's which are usually CA or CA/OR only. They promised that it would be available nationwide. It's now almost 2019 and the number of states where the eGolf is officially sold is now....11.

And that's IF you can find one. 2016 looked to be promising, with a cheaper SE trim level and availability starting in late 2015. But the 2017's were severely delayed...I think it was late summer or early fall before you could get one, and 2018's were already rolling into showrooms. 2018 was even worse...VW only started selling those in the last month or two. Yes you heard right...VWoA introduced the 2018 eGolf AFTER 2019 Jettas had rolled off the delivery trucks.

Looks to me like a stretched BMW i3. Solid competition from Bolt, Kona, Niro, LEAF-60 on size, range, power specs. Late to the party, it will need exceptional execution.

https://insideevs.com/volkswagen-i-d-prototype-videos/

222-16.jpg

VW's proficiency at creating EV press releases (as opposed to actual EVs) has been on display for nearly a decade. I hope they're having fun. In the meantime I'm more than willing to wait and see.

Nubo said:
VW's proficiency at creating EV press releases (as opposed to actual EVs) has been on display for nearly a decade. I hope they're having fun. In the meantime I'm more than willing to wait and see.
+1
As you said, VW is basically the king of "concept" EV cars :roll:
With VW I'll believe it........when I see it!

jjeff said:
Nubo said:
+1
As you said, VW is basically the king of "concept" EV cars :roll:
With VW I'll believe it........when I see it!

+1
I will believe it when I can walk in to a local VW dealer in AZ and actually buy one.

More VW hot air and BS. Watch as the actual retail costs morph into much higher numbers.
Their nonsense does not even pass the sniff test: 63 extra kWh (from 48 to 111) for $8,000 USD ? It will cost that much just for the beefier suspension.

As for 550 km WLTP range from 111 kWh ? That is awful. Are they trying to beat Jaguar for the title of most inefficient EV ? The answer here is almost certainly that the report has the details wrong; and in true VW (and GM) fashion corrections are not being issued in the name of hype.

How many times must we be burned by vague, conceptual announcements of EVs?

IMO they are ALL crap until final specs and pricing is announced. That goes for GM, VW, Tesla, Nissan.

So in other words get back to me when they have finalized a date for release, pics, range, etc.

Back