jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Owners' comparison Tesla Model 3 vs NIssan Leaf

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 am

GerryAZ wrote:I am surprised that none of the Tesla drivers have answered my question.
I didn't answer because I don't know what would happen in your climate.

My only similar experience: I left my S and LEAF unplugged in my garage in the Massachusetts last March for 2 weeks when I was down under. When I came back I had no problem with either. The S will do what it needs to keep the battery at the right temps, and that consumes power (and I think is the primary source of "vampire drain").

I looked up the stats from my trip on TeslaFi: when I left on 3/15, the car had 186 miles of range; when I got back on 4/1, it was at 141 miles of range.

If I was parking it for a long time in a hot climate, I would probably turn off the cabin overheat protection. My only suggestion.

(when I travel, I always take some other form of transit to the airport, because getting in and out of Logan Airport in Boston is a PITA)
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
75K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Durandal,
Thanks for posting the link. I am amazed at the amount of "vampire draw" (wasted energy) while the cars are parked in moderate temperatures.

Jlv,
Thanks for replying with your experience. It sounds like your loss of charge while parked in your garage in moderate temperatures is similar to what others posted in the Tesla forum. I can only guess how much energy a Tesla would use while parked in my climate in the summer--I now understand why the Tesla representative in the showroom at a local mall said "we don't recommend that" when I asked about long-term parking without being plugged in.

I need to park for extended time without plugging in so it looks like a Tesla S,X, or 3 would not be appropriate for me.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lilly
Delivery Date: 25 Dec 2017

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Since this thread is a comparison between Tesla Model 3 and LEAF, I have a question that was never answered in another thread: How much charge would be lost if I parked a Model 3 at the airport or my office for 3 weeks in Phoenix in June (day time temperatures of 105 to 120 F) without being plugged in. My Leaf has virtually the same SOC (state of charge) when I return as when I park and it keeps the 12-volt battery charged so it is always ready to drive home.

I recently went on a 1 month trip. My Nissan Leaf lost zero percent charge in a month. My Tesla Model 3 lost 2 percent charge per day.

lilly
Delivery Date: 25 Dec 2017

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Oh, and also, the Nissan Leaf has a smoother ride. The Tesla Model 3 has a bumpier ride.

Bottom line, if you want auto pilot, buy the Tesla Model 3. If you want to drive it yourself and hate autopilot, buy the Nissan Leaf. The Leaf is a much nicer driving and driver friendly car. However, the Tesla Model 3 has much more high tech.

If they are girls, the Leaf is the practical, dependable older sister. The Model 3 is the crazy, sexy younger sister. The Model 3 goes much faster, handles better, but has a much bumpier ride. It is also less practical without the practical cargo capacity of a hatchback.

jdcbomb
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm

I've always assumed that a person who buys a M3 likely did a bit of research to read up on the LEAF or other EVs. And ultimately ruling out others due to battery degradation risk, or bad looks, or something else.

That is, until a I met a couple M3 owners in my area. I happened to park my 18 MY L next to a new M3 at a public charging station, and I was a bit surprised to see they had no idea of the features or benefits or even TCO of a LEAF vs a M3.

Albeit driving experience is subjective, I guess I shouldn't be surprised they chose the M3 simply because they've been "hearing" about Tesla from friends and colleagues or just online chatter. One owner had no idea the current L has autopilot (Level 2), free charging for 2 years, or how gigantic the trunk is.

It's genius that Elon with Tesla continues to have mind share in the general public even without any marketing. Yet Nissan doesn't really seem to be trying at all or seriously enough and is essentially giving up market share to Tesla as they cannot figure out how to market these things effectively in the USA.

It's kind of sad as EV adoption would increase a lot faster if more people simply did some research and see the really affordable options out there...but I guess I expect too much.
2018 Leaf SV - In Service 2019 January - Location: Raleigh, NC.
2013 Leaf SL - Original In Service 2013 February - Bar Losses: 2016.10.17 - 25,843 Miles -- 2017.06.23 - 32,080 Miles -- 2018.04.10 - 37,000 Miles -- 4th: 2018.09.23 - 44,255 Miles

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 pm

It's ironic, all right: the EV that fits best with how people view their lives on social media (as opposed to what they actually need), vs the EV whose company seems to not want it to be widely successful despite it finally being a great second car for almost everyone.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SalisburySam
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 pm

jdcbomb wrote:I've always assumed that a person who buys a M3 likely did a bit of research to read up on the LEAF or other EVs. And ultimately ruling out others due to battery degradation risk, or bad looks, or something else.

That is, until a I met a couple M3 owners in my area. I happened to park my 18 MY L next to a new M3 at a public charging station, and I was a bit surprised to see they had no idea of the features or benefits or even TCO of a LEAF vs a M3.

Albeit driving experience is subjective, I guess I shouldn't be surprised they chose the M3 simply because they've been "hearing" about Tesla from friends and colleagues or just online chatter. One owner had no idea the current L has autopilot (Level 2), free charging for 2 years, or how gigantic the trunk is.

It's genius that Elon with Tesla continues to have mind share in the general public even without any marketing. Yet Nissan doesn't really seem to be trying at all or seriously enough and is essentially giving up market share to Tesla as they cannot figure out how to market these things effectively in the USA.

It's kind of sad as EV adoption would increase a lot faster if more people simply did some research and see the really affordable options out there...but I guess I expect too much.

Er, some of us did research, and a lot of it. And we have both a LEAF and a Model 3 to show for it. Different vehicles to be sure, filling different needs, both EV, both delightful in their own way. And in my view, Nissan gave up its huge first-mover advantage by not addressing the big complaints in any meaningful way of those of us who bought the early LEAFs (yeah, I know about the 5-year battery replacement...too little too late and really helped only those in hot climates). The rest of us had weak batteries too with no recompense. They then compounded the errors, again in my view, by being excruciatingly slow to market longer range vehicles. While nice, I'd call 200+ miles table stakes today, and 300 and beyond quite desirable given cold weather issues with all EVs. Yes, SuperChargers and DCQCs are very helpful and enable an EV to be an ICE replacement for longer distances. That said, it is still much, much easier and much, much faster to fill up a gas tank than to fill up an electron tank. I don't care where you put a SuperCharger/DCQC, I don't want to spend 45 minutes to an hour there at every fillup.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 70.4% SOH, 46.19 Ahr

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July, 2018 | 8,300 miles
Get 1000 miles free Supercharging: https://ts.la/john70942

EVDRIVER

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Durandal,
Thanks for posting the link. I am amazed at the amount of "vampire draw" (wasted energy) while the cars are parked in moderate temperatures.

Jlv,
Thanks for replying with your experience. It sounds like your loss of charge while parked in your garage in moderate temperatures is similar to what others posted in the Tesla forum. I can only guess how much energy a Tesla would use while parked in my climate in the summer--I now understand why the Tesla representative in the showroom at a local mall said "we don't recommend that" when I asked about long-term parking without being plugged in.

I need to park for extended time without plugging in so it looks like a Tesla S,X, or 3 would not be appropriate for me.

My S pulled about 1% every 4-5 days with a 12V tender.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”